Does Toronto deserve/when should they incur penalties for their fans actions?

Discussion in 'MLS: General' started by TorFC-TML, Sep 15, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TorFC-TML

TorFC-TML New Member

May 5, 2007
    Toronto
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GZ7hZKAkD2I

Cut to 6:55 in that video and you will see the treatment of the Toronto fans towards to opposition players.

This is not the first incident at BMO Field, far from it. Despite league initiatives and announcements at the stadium to not throw objects on the pitch, it continues to happen; and this past Saturday, it looked to be at a whole new level.

Should Toronto FC be penalized? What kind of punishments should they face? There was deserved league-wide outcry when Columbus fans were seen to be stepping out of line. I understand that racial sensitivity is still one of America's biggest taboos, but does a few racial epithet make their behavior that much more intolerable than Toronto FC's?

2. bunge

bunge BigSoccer Supporter

Oct 24, 2000
    Could someone ban this asshole?

3. TorFC-TML

TorFC-TML New Member

May 5, 2007
    Toronto
    Why?

4. Braino

Braino Member

Jun 26, 2007
    Confusion...will be thy "epitath"...

5. Diego Pasley

Diego Pasley Member

Jun 26, 2005
    Lake Ozark, MO
    IMO, the team should not be penalized for the actions of the fans, but maybe the game should. You pay to see good footie. Fans get out of line, call a stoppage. MAKE TRAINED SECURITY DO THEIR JOB, then restart game. Add water and repeat. This would have multiple effects. First, it would encourage self policing as fans would get upset at the game disruptions, so they would be more likely to help security locate perpetrators. Second, players would get upset, and ask for more cooperation from the fans. Third, and most importantly, the idiots thowing things would see the stopage as a badge of honor, likely throw more stuff, giving security a second chance to spot them and DO THEIR JOB.

Another idea is for the league to mandate cameras in the corners. You throw something and security misses it, they go back and get a seat number and track you down. I absolutely hate this idea, but if thats what it takes then so be it.

IF the league decides to penalize teams, which I am against, then a yellow card to the coach is what I would go with. Bottom line is most fans want to see their team win. Two yellows to the coach and he is gone. No real fan wants to be the cause of that.

P.S. Hockey games have fights all the time between crowd members, so I only addressed the throwing of items as it disrupts games. Post and in match supporter fights should be handled just like any bar or street fight.

Of course, I could be wrong.

6. modernsimian

modernsimian New Member

Aug 11, 2008
    san diego, ca.

maybe they should force Toronto Fruitball Club to grow some balls...or a real pitch, either one would do them some good.

7. mikey99

mikey99 Member

May 15, 2007
    I think 50 supporters at the next TFC match should be picked out at random on entry and executed mid-field at half-time.....:rolleyes:

8. Dave Brull

Dave Brull Member

Mar 9, 2001
    Mayfield Hts, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oooh, very Taliban. I was just going to suggest enforced castration.

9. armani

armani Member

Dec 18, 2007
    quit cryin over a few streamers an worry bout something worth cryin over , like getting new grass for your stadium or making the playoffs !!

10. yellowbismark

yellowbismark Member+

Nov 7, 2000
    San Diego, CA
    Club:
    Club Tijuana
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They should move the franchise to Ottawa

11. Pompey86

Pompey86 Member

Jul 23, 2008
    NJ
    Club:
    Portsmouth FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Being reminded everyday when they wake up that they're JUST Canadians is pretty good punishment enough.

12. PJohnson

PJohnson Member+

DC United
    Dec 16, 2004
    South Dakota
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Throwing ANYTHING at players should be unacceptable. Including paper streamers. It's just common sense. The supporter's groups should self-police. And security should enforce the other sections in the stadium. If you can't keep it in the stands the league should step in. Points deductions would be intirely reasonable. (Not that it would make much difference for TFC this year) But how would you like to start with a 5 point deduction for next season? I suspect the first step would be a stadium ban on alcohol.

13. krudmonk

krudmonk Member+

Mar 7, 2007
    S.J. Sonora
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Was that supposed to be summer? No wonder we have a ********ed up schedule.

14. glyconerd

glyconerd Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 8, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CD Chivas USA
    Nat'l Team:
    Uzbekistan
    TFC "fans" reached a new level of stupidity when they threw streamers at an injured Zach Thorton as he was being stretchered off the field. Good job TFC, thankfully you won't annoy anyone during playoff games. :D

15. BBBulldog

BBBulldog Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 25, 2004
    Dinamo Zagreb
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    they should be penalized by moving them to last place, oh wait :D

16. TopDogg

TopDogg Member

Jan 31, 2000
    Toronto
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    I guess those streamers are the reason Thornton's fat ass was dropped by the medical crew along the sidelines.

As for the majority of the responses in this thread, incredibly moronic yet entirely predictable.

17. THOMA GOL

THOMA GOL BigSoccer Supporter

Jul 16, 1999
    Frontier
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's the laws of reciprocity, que no?

18. FC TDG

FC TDG Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Westerville, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What?

19. Onionsack

Onionsack BigSoccer Yellow Card

Jul 21, 2003
    New York City
    Club:
    FC Girondins de Bordeaux
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Toronto FC fans punishment will be to have to be forced to watch Toronto FC play.

20. Smithsoccer1721

Smithsoccer1721 Member+

Feb 16, 2007
    Middle of the Table
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wouldnt wish that on my worst enemy.

21. armani

armani Member

Dec 18, 2007
    hahahah did they really drop SNACK THORTON? Or did someone throw a piece of a burger and he dove to the ground to munch on it????

If someone has footage of them dropping snack thorton please post it..:D

22. TorFC-TML

TorFC-TML New Member

May 5, 2007
    Toronto
  23. TFC07

TFC07 Member

May 19, 2007
    Brampton, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    This comment is coming from a LAG fan????? right:rolleyes:

24. Wearethecrew1

Wearethecrew1 Member

Jul 13, 2007
    Athens/Westerville
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The punishment is they should be coached by a Newcastle/Leeds United castoff (those are such greatly run organizations:D) and be forced to play on plastic grass and have a Preston North End castoff as a "star". O wait......

25. TopDogg

TopDogg Member

Jan 31, 2000
    Toronto
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Like living in Columbus, Ohio?