Does the world really want the US to embrace soccer?

Discussion in 'Soccer in the USA' started by dwanyewest, Aug 25, 2006.

1. dwanyewest

dwanyewest Guest

Jun 29, 2005
    People moan the americans don't like soccer, but the question the world should be asking do we want the US to embrace soccer at all? Think about it would we really want a situation where America is the dominat figure in soccer as if they don't dominate enough sports as it is.

2. dieselboy77

dieselboy77 New Member

Mar 21, 2005
    Ashtabula, Ohio
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands

i wouldn't really care if there is no US soccer , i only watch European football, i didn't heard about US Soccer until 1994

3. psveindhoven

psveindhoven New Member

May 17, 2006
    It should be great. It will be good for the status of the sport. It's already the global game, but some countries don't take it very serious (yet), like US and India.

4. Pakalolo

Pakalolo Member

Apr 27, 2006
    at home
    sorry, but steroids, testosteron and EPO don't help that much in soccer :rolleyes:

5. eejit

eejit Member

Jun 10, 2004
    I don't think the world gives a rats a$$ if the US embraces soccer or not. The World Cup is hard enough to win as it is without a country like America throwing its full resources into a campaign.

I think the thing that irks people is more that the sport is a laughing stock in America with the mainstream opinion that its a game for sissies or a girls/kids game. These opinions are evidenced by recent media comments by the likes of Tiger Woods who says his kids should play a more physical sport, or he didn't have an opinion on the 2002 world cup run because "this is America".

I think alot of peole making these comments would have a tough time playing the sport as the action is non-stop and a good level of fitness is required but for whatever reason Americans seem to have a sneering attitude towards the game and prefer to embrace their own sports. This is fair enough as it is a free choice each to their own.

6. ossieend

ossieend New Member

Apr 3, 2005
    derby u.k.
    I want you to embrace soccer. Loads of reasons really, but one of them is that without the U.S. giving it their all how can anyone else call themselves world champs?

7. Pabs

Pabs Red Card

Jul 29, 2006
    Earth
    to answer the question: NO

but not because you dominate the other sports (you only dominate the sports only YOU play)

8. leg_breaker

leg_breaker Member

Dec 23, 2005
    The same way Americans can declare themselves world champions in sports that aren't played in India, China, Europe or Africa.

9. ossieend

ossieend New Member

Apr 3, 2005
    derby u.k.
    IMO not true world champs then.

10. Eric B

Eric B Member

Feb 21, 2000
    the LBC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is that why Jan Ullrich doesn't play soccer either? (Yes, I realize you might not be German)

Actually performance enhancers can be helpful in soccer, especially in things like decreasing recovery time, so get bent...

11. arthur d

arthur d Member

Oct 17, 2004
    Cambridge England
    He's just afraid of competing with Lance and Floyd. I'm sure they would outrun him anyway. Yay.

But yes, it's quite clear that football is not clean either. Juve anyone?

12. pokemoncards

pokemoncards New Member

Aug 17, 2003
    like the olympics

13. DoctorD

DoctorD Member+

Sep 29, 2002
    MidAtlantic
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No.

there is the myth of American exceptionalism from our side (the US is different from the rest of the world), but there is also the myth of non-American exceptionalism from everyone else (we are not like the US).

14. Grah

Grah Member

Sep 4, 2003

First of all the world does complain about Brazilian dominating.

Unlike everyone else you not "A" country you're 50+Countries (states) totaling the same population as Europe and South America so if you can't get a good squad from that you have problems.

with over 5 million kids playing now you should be in with soccers top dogs by now.

your domestic league has been around as long as Japan yet you haven't developed half as well.

Problem is the big money men don't want soccer to develop in the US the model s flawed. Glazer makes all his investment in tampa bay back before the first ball is kick in TV and Tax breaks. He'll take years to do the same at man U

But at the end of the day 75% of soccer supporters walk to their home team ground and support their local team and their national team and they couldn't give a crap what happens in USA or any other nations league.

Here's hoping soccer does grow and baseball dies and NFL loses out to the real physical sports of Rugby (RU & RL )and Aussie rules.

But getting players to have the freedom of self directed play for more than 30 seconds will be a big problem for you to over come.

Have to wait for coaches implants telling the players what to do or the world adopting the unlimited subs ( speciality kickers) rule.
    Get a league means RELEGATION and Promotion other wise it just a party club.

15. CL_2004

CL_2004 New Member

Sep 10, 2004
    Toronto
    why do some Americans feel like the world is thinking about them. Contrary to popular belief everyone is not thinking about the United States Soccer program or development.

16. el chingon

el chingon Member

Dec 31, 2005
    Chicago
    Club:
    Club América
    haha exactly;)

17. sidis

sidis Member

Jun 2, 2006
    Itaguaí-RJ - Brazil
    Well, the world want US have a population that like soccer and spend money on that.
    But in think USA cant be a power house in soccer in next years, is a cultural thing, you dont understand the game.

For example in the MLS games, when a player make a dribble the people dont react, the narrators still talking irrelevant things...

The firs reason you dont like the game is because you dont make it likeable.

18. Pabs

Pabs Red Card

Jul 29, 2006
    Earth
    sure. The Yanks juice up their athletes. No sh!t they are going to win (Justin Gatlin, Marion Jones, Carl Lewis)

Let's not even mention how much cheating the Yanks do in cycling.

Honestly, the US should keep what they do best. Produce NFL'ers and NBA'ers that get arrested for assaults, gun-related charges, murder.

You definitely have the world beat at that !

19. TD63

TD63 New Member

Jul 28, 2006
    My big gripe so far in my short soccer fanship--Espn being the biggest culprits--I've given them time since the World Cup, to improve, but they're still doin the same thing. Between the last two weekends, all I can tell is that the actual MLS game going on in front of them is secondary to the conversation they're having with each other. And Brandy Chastaine doesn't need to be such a big part of the broadcast, if at all.

20. wufc

wufc Member

May 1, 2005
    UC Irvine
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So...can we move this damn thing to World Rivalries or something?

21. RichardL

RichardL BigSoccer Supporter

May 2, 2001
    Berkshire
    Club:
    Reading FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I think people abroad are perhaps intrigued by the stereotypical hatred of the sport. Apathy would be understandable.

Overall though, no, MLS, the national team, or the development of either are not big topics of conversation.

22. CLEATS

CLEATS New Member

May 2, 2005

Is this supposed to impress anybody.You just made it to my ignore list.

23. CLEATS

CLEATS New Member

May 2, 2005

Yes.Nobody else plays AMERICAN football and it hasn't stopped us from proclaiming ourselves world champions.

24. CLEATS

CLEATS New Member

May 2, 2005

No they're too busy thinking about that great threat from the north CANADA.

25. CLEATS

CLEATS New Member

May 2, 2005

Yes but the ITALIAN mafia is behind all this.