Does the timing (time of the year) favour some nations over others ?

Discussion in 'FIFA and Tournaments' started by eurodad, Dec 21, 2005.

1. eurodad

eurodad Member

Mar 15, 2005
    Brampton
    Does the timing of the world cup create a disadvantage to the players / nations that have just complete a grooling year. Does this create problems for NT teams because of fatigue and nagging injuries ? This is not a complaint, just and observation on my part and I would like to hear the opinions from others on this matter. Thanks. :)

2. Hrvat

Hrvat New Member

Mar 27, 2005
    Zagreb, Croatia
    Timing isn't perfect but it is the best possible. The fact that the season is too long and demanding is for another discussion.

3. leg_breaker

leg_breaker Member

Dec 23, 2005
    It suits teams whose season has long since finished, like Brazil, America, Korea. It hurts countries where the season runs right up to the World Cup like in most of Europe. It especially hurts players in England where they have games like the charity shield, league cup, FA cup (taken seriously by even the big teams), and schedules like the Christmas one where there are games on the 26th, 28th, 31st and 2nd, whilst other leagues are on their winter break.

4. leonidas

leonidas Moderator
    Staff Member

May 25, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    It doesnt really help Brazil since most of their players play in Europe. And, a lot of our starters are on 3 teams which have a good shot at going far in Europe...Bayern and Milan...and maybe Real Madrid if they finally wake up.

5. TheYank

TheYank New Member

May 3, 2005
    Manhattan, KS
    Club:
    Leeds United AFC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, I agree...but I think this argument can be made for most of the top 16 teams or so in the Cup, not just Brazil. Everyone has players in Europe, so all should be impacted in some way.

6. Excape Goat

Excape Goat Member+

Mar 18, 1999
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    I used to believe that it helped the USMNT 8 years ago. Then, France 1998 changed everything. THe MLS-based players were alos blessed with playimng with some of the new rules for 3 months, but it did not help.