Does TFC's style of play needs to change???

Discussion in 'Toronto FC' started by astar24, Aug 26, 2007.

1. Toronto Red

Toronto Red Member

Jan 8, 2006
    Toronto
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    Said like a true Manc!:p

2. contacthi

contacthi New Member

Jul 29, 2007
    Toronto
    Anybody else smell a Habs fan?

3. futbol_Jonz

futbol_Jonz Member

Aug 8, 2007
    Toronto
    don't believe they are overrated, south americans are more technical players than Europeans. They(S.A) form a special relationship with the ball at a very young age, therefore, they allways know how to treat the ball better. plus in some cases, the soccerball is all they have to play with, therefore they are forced to come up with creative ways to entertain themselves wtih the same ball day in and day out!

If you want creativity and flair, then south americans are the way to go.

4. jadger

jadger Member

Apr 12, 2006
    Kanada
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    we dont want someone to make love to the ball, we want someone to drill it into the back of the net. i'd rather have a player rape the enemy defense than "form a special relationship with the ball".

BTW, everything you just said is a stereotyping of SA players, which is dumb because it simply aint true.

5. juventina5

juventina5 New Member

Aug 6, 2007
    T.O
    exactly i could care less about their relationship or whatever i want a goal and sooner than later would be nice. and there are creative mids from europe for example nedved. he is a very talented player and a very creative one as well. he can move the ball well and with style. hes czech.

6. futbol_Jonz

futbol_Jonz Member

Aug 8, 2007
    Toronto
    i was having a laugh replying to a generalization by making a generalization.
    if you want dumb, then re-read what you posted, because it shows that you don't know much about this game.

i can't believe i wasted my time with a reply!
    LOL

7. jadger

jadger Member

Apr 12, 2006
    Kanada
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I'm sorry, I fail to see how I made a generalization? I simply said I'd prefer an effective attacker than a person with fancy footwork, and then stated that not all SAs are the latter, which you claimed.

8. futbol_Jonz

futbol_Jonz Member

Aug 8, 2007
    Toronto
    i wasn't speaking about your post. the generalization was from the post i replied to in which the person said that it believed that s.a's are overrated and european players where better. Since the topic of this forum was TFC changing their style of play, i am of the point of view, that if we had some creative south american we might be able to fabricate clearer scoring oportunities and some finishing.
    Just look around the MLS and you will find that most of the creative brains in the league are from S.american backgrounds. I can make a list for you, but that would be too easy, so i'd rather you do some research and see it for yourself.
    I Am also aware that there are some very creative europeans, from the past and present, guys like thomas hassler, Baggio and zidane. or Totti and Ribbery.
    and i agree with you when you say that not all S.a's have fancy footwork.
    e.g Batistuta was a striker for your taste. he couldn't dribble pylons, but was very effective as a striker (if raping defenses' is what you like)

9. jadger

jadger Member

Apr 12, 2006
    Kanada
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    why does it need to be a creative South American though? can't it just be someone creative? And I dont care if the rest of the creative midfields in the MLS are from SA, we don't want to imitate the rest of the MLS, we want to be better.

10. futbol_Jonz

futbol_Jonz Member

Aug 8, 2007
    Toronto
    ofcoarse they don't have to be south american. I wasn't saying we had to imitate the rest of the MLS, i was just using the others as examples, of creative mids that do the job.

11. Azuran

Azuran Member

Nov 15, 2006
    Toronto, ON
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    And more expensive too. Hell, even guys from the Championship cost more than players that play in first division in South/Central America.

12. juventina5

juventina5 New Member

Aug 6, 2007
    T.O
    so what lets just cheap out and settle for some random player. the mlse has $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ coming at them in every direction so that would be the most unbelievable excuse. sometimes if you want to be the best you gotta pay the price

13. crazypete13

crazypete13 Moderator
    Staff Member

May 7, 2007
    A walk from BMO
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Unfortunately the salary cap is playing our hand for us to an extent. IMO that means the undervalued SA market makes the most sense, but I agree with the sentiment that nation of origin should not be a consideration, but football skill is.

14. .:Rabid

.:Rabid New Member

Apr 26, 2007
    GUYS: When someone mentions the nation of a player, they aren't talking about what culture he is, what he eats, listens to or what language he speaks, they are talking about that countries typical style of play, the way their coaches teach these kids at a young age.

South Americans tend to be magicians with the balls, more then a UK player. That is why people here refer to getting S.A's.... not because they are south americans and samba....because they were coached from early on to play creatively more then a UK player.

There are many examples of creative players elsewhere, but if you were to pick a region where you'll most likely find one, it'd be South America.

This has nothing to do with country, but THE SYSTEM IT'S COACHES USE AND STYLE OF PLAY THEY TEACH.

15. virtute

virtute New Member

May 20, 2007
    N. California
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm all for getting new players no matter where they're coming from but RSL recently got three Argentinians. I don't know how much they're being paid but the team looks to be quite different than before. Their first game, 1 of them got an assist, the other two scored (if I'm not mistaken) one fed by ex-TFC Eskandarian. All three made a huge difference. Jason Kreis is pretty happy you can bet on that. You'll soon see them in a few weeks when they visit Toronto.

16. futbol_Jonz

futbol_Jonz Member

Aug 8, 2007
    Toronto

17. .:Rabid

.:Rabid New Member

Apr 26, 2007
    And they'll probably beat us and get their 2nd win of the season, another embarassing blow to TFC.