Does Seinfeld hold up?

Discussion in 'Movies, TV and Music' started by Ringo, Oct 28, 2004.

1. Ringo

Ringo Member

Jun 10, 2002
    Rough and Ready
    Club:
    Yeovil Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In the latest issue of Spin magazine, they have a calendar of what to expect in November and of course they highlight the Seinfeld DVD release, but they say 'did you ever notice the show isn't as funny as you used to think?'
    I can't say that I agree with that ... but what do you think? Has the show aged well?

2. (TxT)

(TxT) Member+

Jun 9, 2004
    Tampa, FL
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I can still watch any episode any time of day and find it hilarious even though I know what jokes are coming. The people who say it isn't as funny as it used to be are the same people that never got the humor the first time around and just watched it for water cooler purposes.

3. Don Boppero 3000

Don Boppero 3000 DNALMQNLGLLMX!

Jan 15, 2001
    The Fullerton Hotel Chicago
    Club:
    Club América
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico

I'll second that. Still funny to me.

4. 655321

655321 New Member

Jul 21, 2002
    The Mission, SF
    I can watch the same episode over and over. I never get sick of it.

5. Lanky134

Lanky134 New Member

Oct 25, 1999
    134, 3, 6
    Like the Simpsons, the first couple of seasons aren't as funny as they appeared at the time, but that's only in comparison to the absolute brilliance that started once the show began to find its groove. In Seinfeld's case it was the third season, when Jerry became more comfortable on camera and Jason Alexander began to get a grasp on George beyond doing a Woody Allen impression.

6. servotron

servotron New Member

Mar 4, 2004
    St Paul, MN
    Seinfeld comes on at the same time I'm working out at my fitness club, and since I dont have a radio, I watch Seinfeld with the closed captioning on.. for some reason, it's FUNNIER when you read the jokes! I'm serious!

7. yossarian

yossarian Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 16, 1999
    Big City Blinking
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Spot on. It's still a very funny show upon re-viewings...especially those later seasons as you mention. I still crack up anytime I see the Festivus or the Kenny Rogers Roasters episodes.

8. Ringo

Ringo Member

Jun 10, 2002
    Rough and Ready
    Club:
    Yeovil Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    yeah, in the beginning george had a job as a real estate agent, and seemed comfortable doing so. George isn't funny unless he's getting kicked around. they definitely grew into their roles.

all i know is that i'm definitely buying the dvd's on the first day they're out.

9. TheSlipperyOne

TheSlipperyOne Member+

Feb 29, 2000
    Denver
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    :rolleyes:

Just because somebody doesn't find something funny doesn't mean they didn't "get" the humor.

Seinfeld had its moments and there are definitelly some classic episodes, but I don't think it deserves the status it's gotten.

10. ScouseCat

ScouseCat New Member

Jan 10, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

The Seinfeld DVD's have already been released here in Australia on the 20th October, and I reckon they're great value. (I got mine on the 18th!)

As for whether or not Seinfeld deserves the status it's been given, that is subject to personal opinion. I think it does.... Seinfeld was and is still the best tv show ever made. Larry David is a creative genius.

11. Lanky134

Lanky134 New Member

Oct 25, 1999
    134, 3, 6
    Oh, I think a lot of those scenarios with the Yankees are hysterical, with Larry David providing the voice of George Steinbrenner.

"Mr. & Mrs. Costanza, George is dead. I'm very sorry"

"How could you trade Jay Buhner?"

12. Ringo

Ringo Member

Jun 10, 2002
    Rough and Ready
    Club:
    Yeovil Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    yeah, but even then george was getting kicked around. he was in a relationship he didn't want ... he was getting passed over for promotions, the other people laughed at him, his all-cotton uniform idea blew up in his face ... to george angst is like air. he needs it to survive.

13. bojendyk

bojendyk New Member

Jan 4, 2002
    South Loop, Chicago
    The middle few years were top-notch and every bit as good as the show's reputation suggests. Some of the last couple of seasons, however, have not dated well at all. Even those have their moments, though.

14. Frieslander

Frieslander Member
    Staff Member

Feb 14, 2000
    North Jersey
    you sir, *clearly* didn't get it.

15. DoctorJones24

DoctorJones24 Member

Aug 26, 1999
    OH
    This is spot on. The final couple seasons were often quite poor. Actually, I think the final season had more high points than the two before it. George and Elaine, in particular, had become mere caricatures, and the jokes had run out. The whole marriage to Susan plotline, which took up so much of the show in season 7 was pretty lame.

Nonetheless, the first 6 seasons were phenomenal.

16. Benito

Benito Red Card

Aug 25, 2004
    The "Honeymooners" hold up big time as well as "I love Lucy".
    The "show of shows" also holds up to a lesser degree.

17. Khansingh

Khansingh New Member

Jan 8, 2002
    The Luton Palace
    No one's going to agree with me, but I found the first couple of seasons to be very ordinary. I found that I enjoyed it most when it started to get a little zany. The series finale was garbage. My favorite episodes? When Kramer finds the set from "The Merv Griffin Show" and when Kenny Roger's Roasters moves in across the street.

18. (TxT)

(TxT) Member+

Jun 9, 2004
    Tampa, FL
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I have to agree with you on this. The first two seasons were geared for people who were into the big "stand-up" scene in the 80's and early 90's.

19. ScouseCat

ScouseCat New Member

Jan 10, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    What about the Chinese Restaurant episode, which was at the start of season two? That was one of the funniest episodes in my opinion.... fancy devoting a whole show to waiting around for a table which they didn't get? On the DVD, they talk about this episode being a ground-breaking episode for the show. I wont spoil too much what they say, but I will say that it was very interesting to hear that Michael Richards (Kramer) was upset at the time because he wasn't in it.