Does Payroll Spending Produce More Points?

Discussion in 'MLS: Commissioner - You be The Don' started by triplet1, Jan 29, 2010.

1. Reignking

Reignking Member

Feb 16, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Proof?

I ask, because that's why we are here. Not to spread hyperbole but to prove these things.

2. C-bus

C-bus Member

Aug 2, 2006
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I totally agree that a good manager who manages team chemistry can make a championship team out of mediocre players. But how on earth would one measure that?

3. DCU1996

DCU1996 Member

Jun 3, 2002
    N. VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    for now, equal opportunity to suck.

4. Revolt

Revolt Member+

Jun 16, 1999
    Davis, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For shits and giggles, I decided to do a regression analysis on each year - money spent versus points earned. No surprise here to note the results were extremely weak. How weak, R-squares ranged from .05 to .11 for each of the three years (that is, salary expenditures only explained 5 to 11% of the point totals). Even worse, there was a negative relationship in 2007 and 2008. In other words, the regression analysis showed that the more money MLS clubs spent, the less points they would be predicted to earn. That looked almost entirely due to the Galaxy.

After looking at the numbers and checking for outliers, I'm pretty well convinced there was absolutely NO relationship between points and money spent. In 2009, there is a weak, but notable logical relationship.

But MLS is no where near having superclubs. NOT EVEN CLOSE.

5. BSGuy321

BSGuy321 Member

Sep 2, 2008
    Superclubs are undesirable for sure. But a bad precedent is being set when the situation is one where the more you spend the worse off you are.

Next question that arises is to see whether winning increases the bottom line.

The league is over-regulated imo. The individual teams and players need more freedom.

6. Sachin

Sachin New Member

Jan 14, 2000
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    No precedent's been set. At this point, there is no relationship between payroll and points in MLS.