Does KC have a responsibility to change their stadium name?

Discussion in 'MLS: General' started by supercooper, Aug 23, 2012.

1. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Let me clarify my thought, I think the public views Livestrong as MORE than just Lance Armstrong. I bet 50% of the people who know what the yellow bracelet stands for knows little about Armstrong. Look, I'm not a fan of his, but it's sort of like the Jerry Lewis MDA telethon, he's associated with it but the organization/event is still going on without him.

2. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They have known the possibility of this, they were asked about it around the time the name was announced and this was their comment in June from their VP of communications "For us, it's all about Livestrong and helping raise $500 million for fighting cancer and all the good they've done."

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/cycl...aycomSports-TopStories+(Sports+-+Top+Stories)

3. The Cadaver

The Cadaver It's very quiet here.

Oct 24, 2000
    La Cañada, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Details, details....

You sure know how to ruin a perfectly good rant.

Mucky repped this.
  4. holiday

holiday Member+

Oct 16, 2007
    how many important races besides tdf did lance armstrong win? very few, and for a simple reason. he didn't run that many. he was basically a one race guy. while everyone else was riding the circuit so that there might be such a thing as professional cycling, he was training for the tdf. it's a little as if an nfl team could skip regular season games.
    it used to bug me when liggett and scherwin used to tell us how familiar armstrong was with that day's tough finish because he had spent two weeks training on it. while everyone else was taking part in the racing season. it was like looking at the questions before the test. that way of riding may not have been cheating, but already it was coming closer than one would like...

5. The Cadaver

The Cadaver It's very quiet here.

Oct 24, 2000
    La Cañada, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    By the way, what ever happened to Jerry Sandusky's charity?

Sandon Mibut repped this.
  6. RafaLarios

RafaLarios Member+

Oct 2, 2009
    Medellín
    Club:
    Atletico Nacional
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    This is the best/worst thread of supercooper yet?

7. Matt in the Hat

Matt in the Hat Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 21, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Prove it.

8. Mr.Smartypants

Mr.Smartypants Red Card

Jul 1, 2010
    Club:
    University College Dublin
    Are you a f*ing idiot?

15 to 32, sedlie, athletics68 and 8 others repped this.
  9. tab5g

tab5g Member+

May 17, 2002
    and regardless if Armstrong's cycling career "doping" or "clean-record" could ever be proven one way or the other, the LiveStrong Foundation is what it is.

no matter if there is "doping" or "clean" footnote in the TdF, US cycling and USADA record books with respect to Armstrong the sportsman, that will not change what LiveStrong is, and what it will continue to be.

MLS and SKC will likely be glad to have (and hopefully maintain) that corporate partnership/sponsorship.

http://blog.chron.com/randyharvey/2...-lance-armstrong-loses-tour-de-france-titles/

10. Whitecaps10

Whitecaps10 Member

Jul 11, 2010
    Long Island,NY
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As of now, Sporting Kansas City should not get involved in the case. This country has the rule, innocent until proven guilty and it would be best if SKC followed that. It's a rule that is forgotten here a lot.

11. Mattbro

Mattbro Member+

Sep 21, 2001
    Is this a court of law or something? This is Big Soccer, and I maintain that all the favorites at the Tour de France, and many of the Olympic disciplines, are doped to the gills. If you want I can link an interview with the Mexican doping doctor explaining that all world-class endurance athletes are doped and exactly how they do it. (It's in German though.)

Feel free to keep believing the Wizard of Oz is real though...

12. Mattbro

Mattbro Member+

Sep 21, 2001
    This isn't about sending Lance Armstrong or anyone at SKC to jail, so I don't think "innocent until proven guilty" applies ... it's about whether this is a public relations risk for SKC. If SKC decides it isn't, then fine, end of story.

Personally I remember being taken aback when SKC announced the partnership with Livestrong, because it seemed risky to me from a PR standpoint.

13. tab5g

tab5g Member+

May 17, 2002
    from a "sporting/competitive" standpoint, an association with Lance Armstrong the TdF champion (or non-champion as the case may be decided) could certainly be viewed as a bit "risky."

But SKC was (and still is apparently) partnering with LiveStrong. That is solid PR, imo, and not all that risky -- based on what the LiveStrong Foundation has done and will continue to do.

I would imagine the thought is that Livestrong (the foundation) is and always will be bigger and more important (and more worth partnering with/supporting) than is Lance Armstrong (the person/athlete).

14. YilmazOrhan

YilmazOrhan Well Brian, I hit it first time...

Jun 18, 2006
    Suburbia, Kansas
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sporting KC doesn't receive a dime from Livestrong, so peddle the "tainted money" BS somewhere else.

As for whether raising money for Livestrong is now something SKC shouldn't do...maybe the foundation should consider a name change. I'm a cancer survivor, and that yellow seat and the giant yellow banner over the Cauldron give me a little bit of inspiration every time I go in the place.

Those who think something's wrong with that can spend their weekend attempting the anatomically impossible.

Qdog, jayd8888, Sachsen and 2 others repped this.
  15. Matt in the Hat

Matt in the Hat Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 21, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Of course Ozzie Smith exists. He was one of the best defensive shortstops of all time.

Sandon Mibut, HardHatMike, Qdog and 7 others repped this.
  16. Whitecaps10

Whitecaps10 Member

Jul 11, 2010
    Long Island,NY
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Whenever a team gets involved in charity, there will be controversisy. When Barcelona signed their deal with UNICIEF, I'm sure people against the UN were mad. But most people will see it as a positive, and it will still be a good thing for Sporting Kansas City to be involved with Livestrong

17. Mattbro

Mattbro Member+

Sep 21, 2001
    Well played!

18. Mattbro

Mattbro Member+

Sep 21, 2001
    The Ruby Ridge/Alex Jones crowd? Not sure that was ever Barcelona's target group...

19. Formulaic

Formulaic Member

Jul 6, 2011
    Kansas City
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Cause: A guy is accused of cheating in a bicycle race.
    Effect: stop contributing to cancer research.

Yeah. That seems an appropriate response.

ManuSooner repped this.
  20. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I believe Landis has said he doped, Vaughters has been more circumspect though according to Landis that's what Vaughters advised Landis to do as well. Vaighters seems to want to fight the doping through the UCI/USADA, not the media. I can't remember specifically what Hamilton said about Lance.

Go ahead and show me where I said that. Don't worry, I'll wait...

:rolleyes:

21. supercooper

supercooper Red Card

Jun 23, 2008
    If that's the case, then pick another charity. There are plenty of fine charities that do great work in cancer research.

I would not bet on the organization cutting their ties to Armstrong any time soon.

22. supercooper

supercooper Red Card

Jun 23, 2008
    He's been found guilty by organization connected to our Justic Department

23. supercooper

supercooper Red Card

Jun 23, 2008
    OK- its ok to have had tons of discussion about whether we should take Red Bull should be involved with MLS, but this doesn't warrant one thread?

24. supercooper

supercooper Red Card

Jun 23, 2008
    Hey, I heard Barry Bonds charity wants to have their name on the new San Jose stadium. You guys ok with that?

25. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Are you seriously comparing Armstrong doping to child molestation?