Does hurricane affects MLS this weekend?

Discussion in 'MLS: General' started by Fah Que, Sep 18, 2003.

1. Fah Que

Fah Que Member

Sep 29, 2000
    LA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Are any games canceled this weekend? Will Gillette and Giant Stadium still be there on Saturday? Will there be power in that area?

2. CrewDust

CrewDust Member

May 6, 1999
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The cane should be long gone by Saturday.

3. Sundevil9

Sundevil9 Member

Nov 23, 1999
    Reston, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    On Saturday, the hurricane will be somewhere in Canada.

And MLS games will be in LA, Dallas, KC, and NY.

Shouldn't be any problem.

4. Juan Luis Guerra

Juan Luis Guerra Red Card

Jun 11, 2001
    New York City
  5. riverplate

riverplate Member+

Jan 1, 2003
    Corona, Queens
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    The "hurricane" was a bust in this area, as usual. I really wish the weather forecasters would stop going out of their way to freighten people. So there was a lot of wind and rain. That happens plenty of times a year. What was the difference last night?

6. mutinywxgirl

mutinywxgirl Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 6, 1999
    St. Petersburg, FL
    The "difference" last night is that there were huge coastal problems. If you listened carefully, you would have heard them say that we were only going to get about one ince of rain, and the winds would be around 30 mph sustained, and gusts to about 50 mph. That is EXACTLY what happened here. BUT, on the coastal communities, there were huge problems with beach erosion, coastal flooding due to high tides and large waves, along with wind driven waves, etc. And that's just here in NY. As you go closer to where the storm actually made landfall, the amount of damage was significantly higher. The other problem was that most of the land in the northeast was already saturated and the added rain of even 1-2 inches causes inland flooding.

DO NOT EVER say that the forecasters need to 'stop frightening' people. People need to be made aware of the danger possibilities for their own safety. The forecasters work with the emergency management personnel in every community to get the word out as to what people need to do to make sure they are safe. And, who are you going to listen to anyway??? The local TV personality, or some fire department captain telling you what to do?

Hurricanes, and meteorology, are fickle. Weather will NEVER be an exact science because there are too many variables working together at the same time, and there are far too few data points throughout the world (due to the large expanse of oceans). Therefore, until you have gone through a thermodynamic meteorology and dynamic meteorology course, do not rag on the forecasters. They are there to make sure you can be safe in the line of danger.

In case you're wondering why I happen to know about all this, let me just explain that I have a degree in Disaster Management, and did graduate work in Meteorology. And, I grew up in Florida where we faced hurricanes on a yearly basis. Therefore, I happen to be a bit of an expert in this area.

7. riverplate

riverplate Member+

Jan 1, 2003
    Corona, Queens
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Fine. But not to make light of your post, after the reality of terrorist attacks and blackouts in my city, I find it difficult to take seriously the term "hurricane" being blasted into my ears days before the event happens and it turns out all I needed was a lousy raincoat and umbrella. This happens time and again with "hurricanes" in this area. The news media here should just back off from the alarmist crap.

By the way, my wintertime favorite is the "nor'easter." When I hear that I know I'm in for nothing but an old-fashioned snowstorm.

8. pc4th

pc4th New Member

Jun 14, 2003
    North Poll
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I got to agree with riverplate. The media usually overhype about stuff. Why? Better rating. I got to admit being 3000 miles from where the hurricance actually made landfall, I tune in to it to see what happen more often, mostly with the weather channel.
    Blame it on the media. instead of hyping violence, they are hyping on the hurricance (the simpsons did it once). don't believe me>? Watch Bowling for Columbine. You will notice right away the different between US media and Canadian media.