Does David Beckham care about MLS an the GALAXY?

Discussion in 'Beckham Fans Forum' started by armani, Feb 15, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. armani

armani Member

Dec 18, 2007
    So its strange to me whenever he talks, its about how he wants to be fit for England, how he can still play for them at that level.I never hear him glorifying this league or atleast giving it the respect some would argue have paid him to do so. Im a fan of the l.a galaxy but i question whether his heart really lies within the team., When i think about having passion for the galaxy, i think, El tanke Hurtado, Cienfuegos,cobi, heck even pass back pete... So im curious to know do u think he really cares about the galaxy an the league in general? Why or why Not???

2. FijiUnited

FijiUnited Member+

Feb 21, 2007
    Orlando
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I doubt it, but I don't think anyone's heart is truly in Los Angeles.

3. ossieend

ossieend New Member

Apr 3, 2005
    derby u.k.
    Yes, he cares, but I'm not sure your poll choices cover the ways in which he cares.
    You see, above all it's about David Beckham achieving success in his career and building a legacy. He's done the Man U and Real thing in Europe, there have been times eg. Greece at Old Trafford when he's carried our national team, but like most successful people he's driven to achieve more.
    So, he sees North America the major continent on the planet where soccer isn't a religion, but he also sees the potential in bringing professional soccer to a higher place in the sporting culture of North America. He knows of the great players who went over to the NASL and didn't quite keep soccer as a major sport in that continent and he sees a challenge. If Beckham with not just his ability on the field, but with his academy, his marketability and celebrity can raise the position of soccer in North American sports it will reflect well on him and be a huge self built part of the monument to his own career. MLS and the Galaxy are essential to him doing this, in fact obviously he's only a high profile part of both organisations. So yes, Beckham cares about the Galaxy because it is the team he is part of.

4. alexp92

alexp92 Member

Jul 5, 2007
    i chose sort of;)

5. krudmonk

krudmonk Member+

Mar 7, 2007
    S.J. Sonora
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    The guy seems sincere as far as I can tell.

6. Benz280

Benz280 Member

Sep 4, 2006
    Galaxias
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree.

7. ssanchez

ssanchez Member

Oct 15, 2000
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How I see it he is here and wants to do a good job. He is an outright professional. Does he bleed our colors? I doubt it. But even those at the Bernabeau would be fooling themselves if they thought he bled anything but Man U red. I think Landon bleeds our colors such as Pete, Cronin and Gordon. That doesn't mean he won't play all out every match and do his best to promote the league.

8. REALfootballRulez

May 25, 2007
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, there is no reason to doubt him. He seems to be trying his best and he scored 2 great goals last week and he said how he worked hard in practice to get his free kicks right and it sure worked the last game against Real Salt Lake.

That sure sounds like someone who is trying hard and wants to succeed.

9. ianai

ianai Member

Aug 18, 2007
    Hampton, VA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I doubt he'd be here if he didn't care. Sure he got a big paycheck, but he didn't exactly need it either. He gives as much on the field for LA as I ever thought he did for RM. It's tough to say regarding ManU, as he was considerably younger and a tad feistier back then, but yes, I think he cares, and like Blanco in Chicago, the people around him seem to be getting better just from exposure to him. I've always wished he chased a little harder, but he's always been like that in my memory.

10. Phil Lynott

Phil Lynott New Member

Dec 15, 2007
    Dublin
    Do you believe in Santa & the Easter Bunny as well?

Beckham came over to the States for two reasons' ...

The money & to set up his movie/tv career after his playing days are done. Beckham might not be a world class player as anybody with a general understanding of the game can figure out but he's very savy & clever in business & that's his real gift to make people believe he's some larger than life God of the sport. Reality is even though he's still in his early 30's he wouldn't make the grade any longer in any of the top leagues' of Europe. He knew he star was fading fast in Europe a year before he came to the MLS & he made the smart move coming to the States as the MLS is the perfect setting to feed his ego as well as his pocket book.

11. lurch57

lurch57 New Member

May 12, 2008
    Fans in Toronto have spend lots of money on tickets for the game against LA at the end of the month, in anticipation of watching Beckham, including myself. So now that we hear that he is not coming, where can we send our refund request?
    Maybe LA is not paying him enough and playing in a friendly for England is more lucrative.
    I think this whole thing is an insult to all North American soccer fans.

12. Phil Lynott

Phil Lynott New Member

Dec 15, 2007
    Dublin

Whats insulting is simple minded dweebs like yourself that bought into all the Beckham hype machine to begin with. You bought a ticket, now deal with it! There are lots of players' in the MLS more interesting to watch play than Beckham. Players' that make next to nothing as far as wages are concerned but put out 100% more effort on the pitch than Beckham ever will.

13. REALfootballRulez

May 25, 2007
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    MANY players in MLS have national team committments not just Beckham. Landon Donovan will be gone too and I'm sure you have players on TFC that will be gone at some point.

That's just part of the game. You can either try to travel somewhere fairly nearby to see him or just wait till next year since Beckham's England committment shouldn't coincide with TFC again.

14. CrewDust

CrewDust Member

May 6, 1999
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It certainly doesn't look like he is just going through the motions.

15. Firefan1989

Firefan1989 Member

Mar 29, 2008

agreed, today he seemed like he was having fun with teammates and boy was he pissed after the guy tackled him today. My god he wanted to fight him. Anyways though Im really glad Beckham came to Amercia because he has been worth it in my opinion.

16. CardinalSM79

CardinalSM79 New Member

Nov 13, 2007
    London
    if he cares about the profile of 'soccer' and promoting it worldwide, trying to achieve something different to the 'europe thing' then why isn't he in Africa or Asia playing in a country where 'soccer' truly has the potential to be the national sport and where for many kids it would be a dream to meet him?

Why is he in LA, where his wife can hang out with Eva Longoria and Kate Beckinsale, and go shopping and be seen in Beverly Hills?

It has nothing to do with an attachment to North America- his wife wants the glamour and the high life of LA and I'm sure Beckham himself does too.

17. JukeBox

JukeBox Member

Apr 14, 2008
    South East Asia
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    you've said it yourself - that he is to raise the profile of the game and promoting it worldwide - that's why he doesn't do it in Africa or Asia because the game ALREADY gained higher place there. in fact, everyone there knows the game and playing it! what's the point of him promoting/introducing the game then? what the kids/people there need is not the promotion/introduction of the game, but rather the opportunity or money for them to play in a league/descent league.

that is totally different than raising a profile and promoting the game to those who are really in ignorance and don't care a s**t about football!

and yes, he does care about MLS and Galaxy, otherwise he would have gone by now. cheers! :D

18. Stan Collins

Stan Collins Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Silver Spring, MD
    It should be obvious by the way he plays. I've been impressed by his on-field passion this year. He really, really wants this team to win.

19. Phil Lynott

Phil Lynott New Member

Dec 15, 2007
    Dublin

Lolz! What ???

I think he could care less how his team does. He's made his money & that's what he's here for.

20. philly villain

Jun 20, 2008
    Club:
    TSV 1860 München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I would say, yes he does care and wants to win here but that he puts more importance on his international matches than his club play. Nothing wrong with that and he is hardly unique in that regard.

And the poll choices are a bit skewed.

21. armani

armani Member

Dec 18, 2007
    where are all you people that voted how much beckham "LOVES" the galaxy at now??? funny how things can go sour quick,?? LIKE FALIN PALIN WOULD SAY
    "you betcha":eek:

22. TheGrimSweeper

Jul 16, 2006
    Toronto,Canada
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    His heart lies for England and that is his desire.

Anyone who thinks otherwise is mistaken.