Does Australia Embrace Soccer More than Americans?

Discussion in 'Soccer in the USA' started by MiamiAce, Nov 16, 2005.

1. MiamiAce

MiamiAce New Member

Jan 12, 2004
    Miami, USA
    A remarkable 83,000 was the attendance at the Sydney Telstra Stadium to watch the 2nd leg World Cup Qualifier between Australia and Uruguay.

For anyone who saw the match or highlights, it was quite stunning to see an extremely passionate Australian crowd rooting for the Australian national team, it looked like a sea of yellow, even thought there was a mature Uruguayan crowd.

I'm just wondering... is Australia more embracing of soccer than the U.S.? Certainly, the U.S. deserves its merits, soccer is clearly big-time now in the States and it continues to grow... but would we ever be able to pull of 83,000 for a WC qualifier? Perhaps against Mexico, we would. Seeing the outpouring of support by the Australians for their team, in what is usually considered one of the few "non-soccer countries" in the world, it makes me think of something. And that is the fact that I get the feeling that Australia doesn't really have that segment of soccer-hostility within their sports society. Whereas in the U.S., a typical American would have real reservations about attending a pro soccer match, in part due to all the false labels they attribute soccer with, in which they picked up from the soccer-ignorant crowds.

Anyone else notice this?

2. Beakmon FC

Beakmon FC Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Jan 10, 2002
    The OC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, the Aussies embrace the game more than the US because, simply put, they are better people than we are...clearly there is no other explanation. We suck and don't deserve to be allowed into the World Cup ...ever!

Good grief...this sounds like a kid asking his parents if they love them as much as their siblings.........ugh!

3. MiamiAce

MiamiAce New Member

Jan 12, 2004
    Miami, USA

Whatever domestic problems you have at home, I don't care for.

It's a fairly simple and entertaining topic from which I got from some candid observations. No need to get obnoxious and childish. If you don't care for it, just ignore it.

Alrighty then.

4. SUSIE-Q

SUSIE-Q Red Card

Sep 24, 2005
    Boston
    What channel was it ? i watched the first leg on GolTV but i couldn't find the second one anywhere in US ....

5. spencer_carlos

spencer_carlos New Member

Aug 27, 2004
    Melbourne, Australia

Yes. Since Australia is a proud-sporting nation full of many successes; we have only one more hurdle to conquer; and that is Football. The qualifying win for us last night is pretty much the icing on cake. Football is Australia's sleeping giant. It is finally alive in Australia & we're loving every single bit of it.

6. MiamiAce

MiamiAce New Member

Jan 12, 2004
    Miami, USA
    :)

Good win there, mate. So much for Recoba's statement: "It's Uruguay's divine right to be at the World Cup." Hope to see lots of Aussie, Aussie, Aussies at Germany. Good luck (unless you play us of course, then you're doomed).

7. MiamiAce

MiamiAce New Member

Jan 12, 2004
    Miami, USA
    Hey:

I didn't see the full match. What I saw was the extended highlights of the match and post commentary from Fox Sports Argentina. They showed many shots from the crowd before and during the match.

8. JuanPeron

JuanPeron Member

Jul 16, 2005
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    St. Vincent and the Grenadines
    You have to realize first that this was no ordinary world cup qualifier. Australia has been waiting for 32 years for this. They get close then collapse (2001). Australia's exposure to football is greater than ours and it has increased greatly in recent times due to the formation of their new league.

Why did you put qualifier in Italics?

Why are so concerned about non football fans? In 94 the World Cup was no flop. The country embraced it. Fans don't seem to care about football because we lack the great characters. Boxing had Ali, hockey had Gretzky, basketball had Bird/Magic/MJ. Soccer will have its day very soon.

9. Saltenya94

Saltenya94 Member

Jul 29, 2003
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    DC United
    http://www.soccertv.com/uru.cfm

Says:
    SDD = Same Day Delay, D = Tape-delayed (by at least one day), R = Rebroadcast

Thu Nov 17 06:00PM Pacific
    Thu Nov 17 07:00PM Mountain
    Thu Nov 17 08:00PM Central
    Thu Nov 17 09:00PM Eastern
    Length: 2 hr R
    GolTV (US)
    World Cup Qualifying Playoff - CONMEBOL/Oceania - 2nd Leg
    Australia vs Uruguay

I'm thinking of making a special effort to see this game at the ole' mexican restaurant, but they close at 10pm. What I really want to see is the 80+K crowd cheering on the Socceroos, more than the upset on the field.

10. SetPeace

SetPeace Member+

Jun 22, 2004
    SC Illinois
    Club:
    Torquay United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

You make good points Juan. Aussies love sports in general, and they usually put up a good fight (compare the number of medals they won at the Athens Olympics in 2002 in relationship to their population, and you'll see they did extraordinarily well). 83,000 to me is a staggering figure when you consider how many showed up for the OFC qualifying tournament in June, 2004 in Adelaide. Of course, they had a lot of bad history to overcome to make it to WC2006, and Uruguay was part of that history. With to move to the AFC next year, I think Australia will definitely be in the mix for future World Cups, because their overall competition will be better. I do think the best the U.S. could have drawn under similar circumstances is in the 50-60,000 range, and at least half of those fans would have cheering for Uruguay :eek:!

11. Delta Blues

Delta Blues New Member

Jun 25, 1999
    King Willieville
    I got goosebumps just watching the news coverage here in the States. I can't wait to watch the match! As a US fanatic I salute and congratulate the Socceroos, and wish them the best until they meet the USA! :D

12. bbsbt

bbsbt Member+

Feb 26, 2003
    ...and which, in turn, themselves have been brainwashed by influential sports media authorities.

13. pc4th

pc4th New Member

Jun 14, 2003
    North Poll
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

That's not even U.S. vs. Mexico.
    90 WC, 94 WC, 98 WC, 02 WC. Where was Australia?

Overall, both nations embrace soccer, but only to a certain extend. I give it a tie.

Oh, U.S. vs. China was seen by 40 million people. World Series, NBA Final by only about 15 million people. U.S. TV is paying FIFA $425 million for 2010 and 2014 World Cup.

14. napolisoccer

napolisoccer Member

NYCFC - Napoli
    Feb 20, 2005
    Napoli
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Fantastic photo!!! What is the match?

15. spencer_carlos

Aug 27, 2004
    Melbourne, Australia
  16. Elninho

Elninho Member+

Sacramento Republic FC
    United States
    Oct 30, 2000
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not disputing it.

By the way... had those US crowd photos been of a home match vs. Mexico, more than half of that crowd would have been wearing green shirts.

17. Pangloss

Pangloss New Member

Nov 3, 2004
    NYC
  18. ndot

ndot New Member

Nov 4, 2005
    Australia
    the people of australia are so diverse... so many ethnicities... italians, greeks, british, asians who all LOVE their soccer....

with us making the world cup, i wouldnt be surprised to see the sports popularity EXPLODE in the next 6 months

19. CbR

CbR Member

Nov 10, 2000
    Bergen County NJ
    Americans for the most part of xenophobic (before you bash me just go to work tommarow and test your co workers with basic geography questions) and really dont care about international competitions. Other than the olypmics there isnt a team sport that the whole country rallies around on the international stage b/c other than Haiti and D.R. noone plays "our" sports.

Australia has Rugby and Cricket..they take those international matches for those sports seriously,,so the nationalistic fan base is already there

20. wufc

wufc Member

May 1, 2005
    UC Irvine
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hell, the Olympic team sports have completely fallen out of favor in America too. No one gives a damn about the basketball or hockey teams anymore (and it's not like their popularities were long lasting either).

21. Stinkey Turner

Dec 15, 2000

Um, to say that Aussies embrace soccer more than the US of the evidence of one game is a bit disengenuous. The very last qualifier in Sydney just last September 3, 2005 against Solomon Islands, drew 16000. In Adelaide, before that, 2 June 2004 against Fiji, a mere 2200 fans.
    The draw to this game by all accounts was the event itself, with tons of media devoted to the rivalry, smack talk and poor trreament from their last visit to Uraguay, coupled with the hiring of a quality coach, the implementation of the A League and 20 something years of failing to qualify.
    I have a few mates who've been die hard Marconi supporters for atleast 10 years back in Sydney. They are much less optimistic. They say that this is excitment is not sustainable and most fans were just "wally's" that were caught up in the moment. They will not likley go on to support the A league which is already seeing attendance declines. They feel the league will not continue to thrive when their marquee player is an overaged guy like Yorke, who admitidly brings them in, but the overall quality of play is poor and any atmoshphere is lost in the large stadiums.
    They are also realists when talking of the Aussies chances in the WC. They deem a second round as a great acheivement.
    All that stuff sounds painfully familiar.

p.s. the US is NOT xenophobic. If the US is xenophobic, what does that make Japan? LOL! lousy education in geography does not equate to a xenophobe.

22. CyphaPSU

CyphaPSU Member+

Mar 16, 2003
    Not Far
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I recently worked with a guy from Australia. I once asked him about the popularity of soccer down under and he said something to the effect that there are people in the country who like the sport but it's definitely not as widely followed as some of the other sports such as Aussie rules footy and rugby. He himself was into cricket.

Although not a perfect comparison, I think Australia and the USA are kind of similar in a number of ways in this context. Both have sports-mad cultures including widely popular domestic sports on the scene. Both societies have diverse ethnic populations made up of people from around the world, some of whom embrace soccer. Both countries have newly-established domestic top-flight professional soccer leagues. Soccer appears to be making substantial gains in both nations.

23. ndot

ndot New Member

Nov 4, 2005
    Australia
    when it comes to sports, the US is definitely xenophobic

hopefully the humiliating failure of their NBA stars at the olympics will give them, and their fans, some added incentive to do well at the world cup next year

24. Elninho

Elninho Member+

Sacramento Republic FC
    United States
    Oct 30, 2000
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The difference is that there is a lot of visible, outright hostility toward the sport in the US, but not in Australia.

25. spencer_carlos

Aug 27, 2004
    Melbourne, Australia
    Reminds you of France, ain't it? ;)

You speak English anywhere in the streets of Paris - you get ridiculed. Same thing with US and football.