Does anyone want to be #1? [R]

Discussion in 'Women's College' started by UFGator98, Sep 9, 2007.

1. UFGator98

UFGator98 Member

Aug 13, 2001
    Florida
    First UNC suffers a huge upset, they fall from #1

Portland today gets upset by Purdue, they will fall.

Texas or Stanford will likely be the new #1 when the polls come out.

8 of the preseason top 10 in the NSCAA poll have a blemish on their record. The only 3 that don't, were all tied for 9th in the preseason poll. Boston College, Stanford and Texas. That's a little crazy.

2. BruinEPLfan

BruinEPLfan New Member

Aug 12, 2006
    So Cal
    What fun (unless your team has lost!) :) Actually, this is fun.

Which team rises to the top may depend on the poll. If I have a vote, Stanford goes to the top for defeating two top ten teams (Notre Dame, Virginia). Of course, one may now ask how good is Notre Dame? Tough weekend for Notre Dame, but an impressive weekend for Stanford.

I'm influenced by what I saw with Texas. I don't see them as a number one team, even though they beat UCLA. I think they're still geling. But if they defeat Arizona tonight, they will be #1 in a number of the polls.

Santa Clara deserves a #3 ranking IMO. But they've been all over the place in the polls. Some polls took into consideration their injuries. Soccer America did not factor them in, it would appear. Will Stanford rise to #1 in the SA poll since Santa Clara tied Virginia? (BTW, that's one heck of a tournament. You have to give props to Santa Clara's scheduling.)

Given Boston College's schedule, I don't think you can propel them into the top five.

3. Sophister

Sophister Member

Apr 14, 2004
    SoCal
    I would guess that nscaa will put Stanford 1st with North Carolina 2nd.

Both soccer times and soccer buzz will have North Carolina as number 1.

Soccer america may keep Santa Clara ahead of North Carolina.

Sophister

4. AnsonBlonde

AnsonBlonde Member

Jul 27, 2007
    Well, Texas lost to Arizona. That means Stanford is #1.

5. casocrfan

casocrfan Member

Nov 25, 2004
    San Francisco
    I think you will see this:

1. Stanford
    2. UNC
    3. UCLA
    4. SCU
    5. Texas A&M
    6. Portland
    7. Florida
    8. UConn
    9. BC
    10. Texas

SCU's big win over ND doesn't look as good when you look at ND's overall record.

6. UFGator98

UFGator98 Member

Aug 13, 2001
    Florida
    The top teams are dropping like flies. This season seems to be very wide open, might see some new faces at the College Cup this year. This is good for the game.

7. megsoc

megsoc Member

Aug 8, 1999
    Arizona
    I saw the Arizona/Texas game. Texas didn't play like a top 10 team but they weren't awful either. Arizona actually looked pretty good.

8. Craig P

Craig P BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 26, 1999
    Eastern MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    :confused:

ND's overall record has the two losses of this past weekend (one the aforementioned thumping by SCU, one in OT to the upthread-mentioned Stanford), a win at Florida, and a scoreless draw vs. Michigan where the Wolverines were comprehensively outplayed during regulation.

I don't really see how SCU's win is diminished by ND's record. The only weak opponent of the lot is Michigan.

9. Merlin777

Merlin777 New Member

Mar 26, 2007
    I am with the group concensus, should definitely be Stanford #1 (given their schedule and results to date).

My top 5 rankings:
    1. stanford
    2. santa clara
    3. north carolina
    4. portland
    5. ucla

10. SoCalSun

SoCalSun Member

Manchester United
    United States
    May 18, 2004
    Southern California
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You may be projecting a bit. I'm not sure how well UCLA will do, though I'm hoping for the top. Their loss, and play against Illinois was not convincing. Lots of attack, but suspicious D. As I say, I'm hoping (praying) for them to get it together. For a team that only lost 2 starters from last year, I'm concerned. Santa Clara may be for real, we'll see when they come down here, along with Portland, later in the fall. The Bruins play 5 WCC teams, so we should know alot before the conference season starts.

11. Sophister

Sophister Member

Apr 14, 2004
    SoCal
    Looks like Stanford is still interested in being #1.

Sophister

12. Craig P

Mar 26, 1999
    Eastern MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't know what happened to ND out west, but what's killing them right now in the home games I've seen is they don't have the level of playmaking around the opposition penalty area that they need to have in order to turn domination of possession into clear scoring chances. It cost them two points against Michigan and three points against Oklahoma State.

13. Merlin777

Merlin777 New Member

Mar 26, 2007

Saw both games out West and it was not the offense that was their problem in santa clara tournament - their execution and finish rate was pretty good. However, they had lots of trouble in the back staying organized and got overwhelmed often at midfield (just didn't seem very aggressive on 50/50 balls).

Having said that, they are a talented team and season is long...think they will do fine once settle in.

14. garnetgold67

garnetgold67 Member

Jun 18, 2007
    The west is the best
    The west is the best
    Get here, and we'll do the rest
    - JIM MORRISON, THE DOORS

NEW TOP 30 SOCCER BUZZ
    1.Stanford
    2.Santa Clara
    3.Portland
    4.Texas
    5.Texas A&M
    6.Virginia
    7.UCLA
    8.North Carolina
    9.Boston College
    10.Florida
    11.Florida State
    12.Marquette
    13.West Virginia
    14.Penn State
    15.Connecticut
    16.South Carolina
    17Notre Dame
    18.USC
    19.Tennessee
    20.Purdue
    21.Rutgers
    22.BYU
    23.Washington State
    24.Oklahoma State
    25.Missouri
    26.California
    27.Louisville
    28.Villanova
    29.Ohio State
    30. Illinois

Is this the year for a team from the West? My money is on Portland! But it's early...

15. Craig P

Mar 26, 1999
    Eastern MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Some of it depends on who plays as the holding midfielder. Brittany Bock is very aggressive tackling, IMO the best player for that position. However, Waldrum seems to feel that he needs her playing farther forward, as she played as the withdrawn forward for the entire game vs. OSU with Lauren Fowlkes holding (and given ND's sometime struggles to score, it's hard to argue with him trying to play a talented player farther forward). Fowlkes isn't as strong in the tackle as Bock.

Even notwithstanding that, though, ND controlled the midfield for large stretches of the game against both Michigan and OSU. In both games, there were over 20 shots taken (not sure how many on goal), but only one goal scored between them on a FK by Hanks.

I don't think ND's had a huge problem with organization on the back line in the games I've seen, but the Irish have had some difficulty handling speedy forwards running at them on the counter. Such a play led to the winning goal scored by OSU. (The other OSU goal was a perfectly placed long shot off a turnover in the back. I wouldn't say it was much of a scoring chance, but every now and again you put one of those shots in the right place, and I'd like to have seen it closed down better.)

Right now, if you asked me who ND was missing the most from last season, I'd say it was neck-and-neck between Buczkowski and Lorenzen. I think Lorenzen's role in the defense last year was underrated by just about everyone -- I thought so at the time, and I think it's being proven this year.

16. speedoblobb

speedoblobb New Member

Sep 1, 2003
    CHAPEL HILL
    The best thing that has happened to UNC this season is to lose a couple and lose the target on their foreheads for a bit. Don't count us out yet. This weekend we showed alot of promise and with Robyn Gayle back from the World Cup we'll get better. Watch out!

17. UFGator98

UFGator98 Member

Aug 13, 2001
    Florida
    So Stanford drops a 1-0 match to Denver. I guess it's Santa Clara's turn at #1. What a wild season and it's still September.

18. UFGator98

UFGator98 Member

Aug 13, 2001
    Florida
    And September comes to a close with another #1 losing, SCU loses to Cal 2-0. I have no idea what is going on this season. With Portland and Texas A&M also losing this weekend, I guess Stanford will go back to #1?

19. Hoover

Hoover New Member

Oct 1, 2006
    Common theme - hard to stay #1 as women's soccer game so competitive now so "on any given day" upsets are possible and likely. Hard to dominate other teams and games by the elite programs so luck factor plays a bigger role.

My two cents.

20. ManiacalClown

ManiacalClown Member+

Jun 27, 2003
    South Jersey
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The new Soccer America poll is hilarious.

1. Stanford (8-1-0) 3
    2. Texas (8-1-1) 6
    3. UCLA (5-1-2) 9
    4. Santa Clara (7-1-1) 1
    5. Virginia (7-1-2) 4
    6. Missouri (7-2-0) 19
    7. Tennessee (7-1-1) 10
    8. Penn State (7-2-1) 11
    9. Purdue (10-1-1) 20
    10. USC (8-1-1) NR
    11. Boston College (7-0-2) 8
    12. California (8-2-0) NR
    13. Portland (6-3-0) 2
    14. Clemson (8-1-1) 14
    15. North Carolina (7-3-0) 7
    16. Texas A&M (7-2-1) 5
    17. BYU (8-0-2) 17
    18. Georgia (9-1-0) NR
    19. San Diego (7-1-2) 22
    20. Notre Dame (5-4-1) 24
    21. Wake Forest (6-3-1) 23
    22. Florida State (6-3-1) 12
    23. Oklahoma State (7-2-1) 13
    24. Connecticut (8-2-0) NR
    25. Indiana (8-1-1) NR
    25. South Carolina (8-3-0) 15
    25. Washington State (6-1-2) 18

Soccer Buzz also has their new rankings out.

1. Stanford 2
    2. Santa Clara 1
    3. Virginia 4
    4. UCLA 8
    5. Texas 7
    6. Boston College 9
    7. USC 14
    8. Portland 3
    9. Tennessee 16
    10. Texas A&M 5
    11. Penn State 11
    12. Purdue 15
    13. Connecticut 13
    14. North Carolina 6
    15. Missouri 21
    16. BYU 17
    17. California 7
    18. Wake Forest 28
    19. Clemson 29
    20. Florida State 10
    21. Georgia RV
    22. West Virginia 20
    23. Villanova 22
    24. South Carolina 18
    25. Notre Dame 27
    26. Indiana NR
    27. Marquette 12
    28. Duke RV
    29. San Diego RV
    30. Washington State 23

21. tarheelfan490

tarheelfan490 New Member

Nov 12, 2004
    arlington, va
    does anyone really believe that there are fourteen or fifteen better teams than carolina?

22. Caligirl

Caligirl New Member

Apr 10, 2004
    Maybe not but there are certainly fourteen or fifteen teams that could beat UNC on any given day!

23. enfuego

enfuego Member

Oct 9, 2006

Captain Obvious.

24. AnsonBlonde

AnsonBlonde Member

Jul 27, 2007
    #1 Texas (according to SoccerAmerica) lost to Texas A&M, 2-0.

25. ManiacalClown

ManiacalClown Member+

Jun 27, 2003
    South Jersey
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    To ten-man Texas A&M, no less. Texas looked awful out there. Soccer America is hilarious.