Does anyone know who Lamar Hunt was?

Discussion in 'Columbus Crew' started by Ch(Elsey), Nov 21, 2011.

1. LaMacchia

LaMacchia Member+

Jul 12, 2008
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Also, his dad was the inspiration for JR Ewing from the hit TV show Dallas. Take that, law professor!

2. Brook

Brook BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 13, 2001
    Cleveland
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, I bought I it when first released and had it signed when the author was there. Quite good.

Ch(Elsey) and Big Strong Patrick repped this.
  3. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'll also point out that MLS was not his first go-round with pro soccer as he was instrumental in the original NASL with Dallas Tornado (and yes, we Atoms fans got a kick out of beating him with a team full of American players in 1973--sadly that experiment did not last, though their coach, Al Miller, went on to work with the Force and Crunch in Cleveland). Ironically, Hunt was instrumental in getting Philly that team as he met the soon to be owner (who was trying to get an NFL franchise himself) at an NFL function and recommended the NASL to him as a starting point.

redinthemorning repped this.
  4. Len

Len Member+

Club: Dallas Tornado
    Jan 18, 1999
    Everywhere and Nowhere.....I'm the wind, baby.
    I repped Sandon Milbut earlier because I thought that, as well. I now stand corrected.

5. Virginian

Virginian Member

Sep 23, 1999
    Denver, Co
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think technically for Lamar to become a Saint, there have to be three miracles in his name.

1. Crew stadium
    2. 2008 MLS Cup championship and Sheild
    3. TBD but all good Catholics (and some Protestants and Jews) are praying hard for a return of Guillermo.

chr1st repped this.
  6. Brook

Brook BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 13, 2001
    Cleveland
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And, you know, kgilbert, that Miller faced a FIFA ban with the Force/ Crunch for signing banned Canadian players ?

7. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I never really followed the Crunch/Force. Watched on TV a few times. I think they played Pittsburgh in an exhibition at the Fairgrounds (memorable because the turf was not tacked down well and came up in sheets--not at all safe, I expect). I think the argument at the time was that they really weren't the same sport (FIFA never regulated our style of indoor soccer) and so FIFA had no jurisdiction. Kinda like FIBA telling Michael Jordan that he couldn't play baseball (rumor is that the reason Jordan tried baseball was because he was on "double secret probation" from the NBA for something--gambling I think).

8. NUFC Fan

NUFC Fan Member+

Apr 8, 2007
    Cbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew