Does Anyone Give a Crap Anymore?

Discussion in 'Philadelphia Union' started by skyscraper, Mar 14, 2005.

1. skyscraper

skyscraper Member

Dec 6, 2003
    Philadelphia
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It has been a while since I have seen anyone posting anything related to getting an MLS team in Philadelphia on this board. Has everyone lost interest?

2. KaptPowers

KaptPowers Member

Dec 29, 2003
    Arlington, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I just don't think there's anything going on anymore man. I'd personally love to see Philly get an MLS and create the same sort of regional rivalry with the Revs and the Metros that the Bruins, Rangers, and Flyers have. I just haven't heard a peep about the whole idea in years.

3. Looper121

Looper121 Member

United States
    Jun 19, 2003
    Sec 104
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, I still care. I was driving around the other day looking at intresting places that a stadium could go, since the old vet grounds obviously aren't going to be anything but a vast parking space. There just seems to be a lull I guess because we hashed over a lot of things before. And the superbowl was a big distraction. anyway, we should still get together sometime and talk about this stuff...

4. Looper121

Looper121 Member

United States
    Jun 19, 2003
    Sec 104
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Living in Mass, how would you hear a lot about it?

5. Z010 Union

Z010 Union Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I guess reality smacks you in the face every once in a while. We begin to realize no matter how much we want it, until Lurie or another well monied investor steps to the fore, there is no hope.

6. Looper121

Looper121 Member

United States
    Jun 19, 2003
    Sec 104
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  7. skyscraper

skyscraper Member

Dec 6, 2003
    Philadelphia
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think that ny is not going to get the olympics, and that this stadium will not be built, at least as proposed. the jets are jonesing for their own stadium, but this location is too expensive and controversial. msg is buying up a lot of the land in that area to prevent the jets from building.
    nevertheless, the only impact for phila that I can see is that it may lead to our putting in a bid for the 2016 or 2020 olympics, and if we get it then we build our own huge olympic stadium that we convert to a smaller sss after the games. this is also a long shot but it is my vision.

8. CyphaPSU

CyphaPSU Member+

Mar 16, 2003
    Not Far
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Philadelphia to bid for the Olympics??? :eek:

9. CyphaPSU

CyphaPSU Member+

Mar 16, 2003
    Not Far
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think anything can happen. Did anyone see Salt Lake on the horizon for expansion a couple of years ago? Then all of a sudden (kind of out of nowhere) they had an investor propose for an expansion team. So maybe that can happen here, who knows.

10. Looper121

Looper121 Member

United States
    Jun 19, 2003
    Sec 104
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That seems pretty dumb to me. We can't frickin' get our trash picked up (unless your the mayor) or our streets plowed, and make a push for the olympics? Don't effin' count on it.

11. J Mac

J Mac New Member

May 25, 2004
    Philadelphia
    just wait till the summer time, thats when people get excited

12. J Mac

J Mac New Member

May 25, 2004
    Philadelphia
    it looks like for a city to have a mls team u need a soccer stadium only, since the philadelphia area has alot of soccer teams and interest do u think philadelphia could build a soccer arena with various fields and training facilities, i know this would cost a sh!t load of money but its a possibility.

13. Looper121

Looper121 Member

United States
    Jun 19, 2003
    Sec 104
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Fvck the big guys. I am gonna start a fundraiser.

14. Rickster

Rickster Member

Dec 1, 1998
    I care a ton, but what good does it do? Without Jeffrey Lurie or some other Daddy Warbucks involved, there is no chance in heck this will come to pass.

MLS has grown beyond the time when local car dealers or other small businessmen could own a team. Between the investment in the league and stadium development, this is a Forbes 500 game now. There was a window when Anschutz seemed interested in pioneering new cities for MLS, but it has closed.

Nobody would love to see MLS in Philly more than me, but I just don't see it happening any time soon.

15. Ace1

Ace1 New Member

Mar 16, 2005
    Its all about the willingness to build a SSS. Philly has the soccer fanbase and would create a great rivalry with the Metros and DC being nearby. But MLS is not going to settle on playing in the Eagles stadium. So will somebody from Philly take one for the team, or literally TAKE a team (like KC) and build a stadium so we can see MLS in Philly.

16. Looper121

Looper121 Member

United States
    Jun 19, 2003
    Sec 104
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good thing you showed up to tell us that. :rolleyes:

17. Ace1

Ace1 New Member

Mar 16, 2005
    You're welcome Pirates fan from Philly.

18. CyphaPSU

CyphaPSU Member+

Mar 16, 2003
    Not Far
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If only someone high up in Comcast were genuinely interested in the prospects of investing in a new professional soccer club, if not just for the love of the game, but for money...afterall, they are building a new skyscraper to pierce the clouds--they have lots of money.

19. Looper121

Looper121 Member

United States
    Jun 19, 2003
    Sec 104
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Speaking of skyscrapers, we need to get him to design a stadium for us.

Eh skyscraper, howzaboutit?

20. skyscraper

skyscraper Member

Dec 6, 2003
    Philadelphia
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm all over it! And my fees are reasonable!

21. Looper121

Looper121 Member

United States
    Jun 19, 2003
    Sec 104
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I figured this would be Pro Bono. :D ;)

22. skyscraper

skyscraper Member

Dec 6, 2003
    Philadelphia
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There used to be a concept of "free time" in which people would indulge in fantasy projects like this. I have lost touch with this concept, otherwise I would have posted some drawings long ago. I have verbally expressed some of my ideas for this elsewhere in this message board, but have not had time to sketch them. Some sunny day...

23. Looper121

Looper121 Member

United States
    Jun 19, 2003
    Sec 104
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, there are lots of Sunny Days on the Way, so I'll be waiting. ;)

24. Looper121

Looper121 Member

United States
    Jun 19, 2003
    Sec 104
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This thread is getting more relevant. Does anyone give a crap these days?

25. n4100

n4100 Member

Dec 10, 2003
    Philadelphia
    I think we all do. Eddie and I were talking about it last week, but as he said, unless someone who's rich steps in, we're just gonna suffer. In the meantime, he's a Metros fan, which he equates to being a Phillies fan. Me, I'm a casual Fire fan.

It'd be cool if we could all pool our money, we'd at least have enough for coffee then, but I don't think MLS would grant us a franchise.