Does anyone else think that FIFA is highly corrupted?

Discussion in 'FIFA and Tournaments' started by gethomas3, Sep 11, 2007.

1. German Ham

German Ham New Member

Aug 24, 2006
    Actually, there's more evidence that the goal in the 66 final did NOT go in rather than did go in... but carry on.

2. gethomas3

gethomas3 Red Card

Aug 3, 2007
    Miami, FL
    Club:
    Deportivo Saprissa
    Nat'l Team:
    Costa Rica
    If anyone wants more outlook to controversial world cups, let me know. im not biased against anyone. I just state weird coincidences.

3. kontrol-ball-Germany

Jul 22, 2006
    Western Europe
    1934 WC was also corrupt from what i read but what where the exact allegations that made 1934 corrupt?

4. Schwalker

Schwalker New Member

Apr 15, 2007
    Gelsenkirchen/Finja
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Refs favouring the home team...a thing we never see nowadays :D

5. episkeptis

episkeptis New Member

Aug 24, 2007
    Manchester
    Well, it is said that Mussolini -the Italian dictator- was the one who chose the referee for both the 1/2 final and the final (Ivan Eklund from Sweden, not sure if i spelled it right), and guess what, both Austria's and Czechoslovakia's players complained that the referee favored the Italians.

6. glennaldo_sf

glennaldo_sf Member+

Houston Dynamo, Penang FC, Al Duhail
    United States
    Nov 25, 2004
    Doha, Qatar
    Club:
    FL Fart Vang Hedmark
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As much as we can debate about the past, looking forward to the future, the thing that really flabbergasts me about FIFA is that they still to this day refuse to use video technology to decide controversial refereeing decisions at major tournaments such as the world cup. Adopting a system, as often used in many American sports such as baseball and (American) football, where coaches can challenge decisions with video replay evidence would shut the door on many of these allegations of corruption. Perhaps this could be limited to one or two challenges per team per game - or simply utilizing an (unbiased) 4th official with video technology, as referees do appear to carry radio-controlled earpieces, to spot what the referee has missed.

Traditionalists will argue about the disruption of the game, taking away from the referees job, etc, etc... however, I would be willing to make these sacrifices to see the correct calls made consistantly and end nations teams having their dreams shattered to erroneous refereeing decisions. Having seen my country (the USA) eliminated from the last two world cups due to some highly controversial decisions, I would be well in favor of such a system.

As it is, as long as FIFA continues to shun modern technology to aid the officiating of games, (the possibility of) corruption will always exist in the world cup and FIFA.

7. gethomas3

gethomas3 Red Card

Aug 3, 2007
    Miami, FL
    Club:
    Deportivo Saprissa
    Nat'l Team:
    Costa Rica
    Actually, the first part is right. Along with picking the referees, It was also a known fact that Mussolini visited each team the Italians would play before the start of the match and during half-time to "wish them good luck". I don't know how lopsided the refereee was since it's very hard for me to get clips of the games from those times.

That is the only major controversy I have known since its hard to get any information about World Cups before WW2.

Any other questions?

8. gethomas3

gethomas3 Red Card

Aug 3, 2007
    Miami, FL
    Club:
    Deportivo Saprissa
    Nat'l Team:
    Costa Rica
    With video technology, FIFA loses its ability to influence games. That's why they wouldn't do it. Looking since 2002, there have been too many controversies in the last 2 world cups then the 5 before those. With the collapse of ISL, FIFA lost a LOT of money and, while they wouldn't publically admit it, they are rarely hanging on finacially. That is why FIFA have been doing everything they have since then. From world cup hostings to backhand deals with illegal companies. Do you know FIFA have been in court for the past 4 years because VISA and MasterCard are suing FIFA for money they owed?

9. Schwalker

Schwalker New Member

Apr 15, 2007
    Gelsenkirchen/Finja
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany

Hold your horses now...:D

FIFA don´t own VISA or Mastercard money, it´s about canceling a sponsorship deal and giving it to the competitor that pays better.
    As for ISL as I remember it UEFA (That are loaded) bailed FIFA out and the last WC was very profitable for FIFA.

One thing that can be discussed though is if FIFA sometimes act as a counterbalance to UEFA or if it is their lapdog...I can´t remember FIFA ever trying to go against UEFAs wishes.

10. Schwalker

Schwalker New Member

Apr 15, 2007
    Gelsenkirchen/Finja
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany

Well if FIFA would stop using refs from places like Tongo, Malaysia and other countries that don´t use full-time refs things might improve..?

11. glennaldo_sf

glennaldo_sf Member+

Houston Dynamo, Penang FC, Al Duhail
    United States
    Nov 25, 2004
    Doha, Qatar
    Club:
    FL Fart Vang Hedmark
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't know there were some really bad refs from Europe + CONMEBOL in the last WC too... the ref of USA-Ghan was Merk from Germany if I'm not mistaken, our card happy friend that did the Portugal - Holland fiasco Russian, and Graham "three yellow cards" Poll from England took the Australia-Croatia match. These are just off the top of my head... the bottom line is though, refs are only human, they can make mistakes, don't see things, or can take backhands and have prejudice... cameras don't lie however.

12. LordRobin

LordRobin Member+

Sep 1, 2006
    Akron, OH
    Club:
    Cleveland C. S.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh God no, please, no "overlord referee"! That was a disaster in the NFL and led to them abandoning instant replay for several years. The officials hated being overruled by the Great Eye in the Sky, and constantly found ways to weasel out of it, like claiming an "inadvertant whistle" had stopped play. You try something like that in soccer, and you'll get the same resentment. The referee should be the highest authority in the game. Let the coaches challenge and the referee review the play himself.

(But there needs to be some penalty associated with challenging and being wrong, to prevent frivolous challenges. In the NFL, you lose a time-out. In soccer... Maybe the opponent gets a free kick on the challenger's side of the pitch?)

------RM

13. nanni

nanni Member

Mar 3, 2007
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    haha Well coruption is good at the World Cup we all know the Host Nation will be carried to the quarterfinals from that point on the host nation is given equal treatment as so happens with most that they loose take Mexico for example in both there wolrd cup they were caried to the quarters and then they were treated the same as others and they lost!!

same with Japan and Korea and so forth YES there is some coruption but its how the world works!!

what ever!!

14. Big balls

Big balls Member

May 22, 2006
    Sweden
    What is with being from a 3rd world nation and being so stupid, regardless of where you live right now, is it in your blood, seriously !?.

First of all, there is no team that Sweden would've liked to beat more than Denmark and vice versa. I am Swedish and as much as I'd hate to admit it, Denmark was more near to make it 3-1 than Sweden was to score an equaliser. Tomassen (who belonged to Milan) had some great chances that nearly went in.

In the next competive matches between Denmark and Sweden (which was European qualification for Euro 2008). The first match in Copenhagen was 3-3 in over-time, Sweden got a penalty, a dane rushed the field and Sweden won.

In Stockholm, the end result was 0-0. Out of the last 3 matches, there has been 3 draws (on goals scored)

Regarding Italy

Cassano scored a goal 2 mins after the match should've finished. The injury time had already passed. Had the ref blown the whistle, we wouldn't be having this discussion. I don't mind the discussion though, anything other than it being retarded. Just as Swe -Den was just, I am sure the ref in the ITA-BUL match was just.

15. gethomas3

gethomas3 Red Card

Aug 3, 2007
    Miami, FL
    Club:
    Deportivo Saprissa
    Nat'l Team:
    Costa Rica
    Rivalries matter shit if it means you are staying in a tournament. I mean, if the Germans and the Austrians (who has had a very bad relationship because of WW2 and the fact that Austria eliminated West Germany, the World Champions at the time, in Argentina 1978 adds to it even more) can come together to kick Algeria out of the World Cup in Spain 1982, I am very sure the Danish and the Swedes can come together, too.

16. aloisius

aloisius Member

Jul 5, 2003
    Croatia
    There is no place for video evidence in a flowing game like football ( except for the goal line camera)

Imagine this situation. There’s a tackle in the penalty area and the ref waves play on. The defending team takes ball and scores on the counter attack. If you had the right to appeal you would have to stop the play and deny the defending team the chance to counterattack and score.

Or imagine if offside is called and you appeal and it turns out you were right, your player was onside. What do you do with that ? You can’t recreate that same situation. You can get the ball back basically but you won’t be in a goal scoring chance.

17. gethomas3

gethomas3 Red Card

Aug 3, 2007
    Miami, FL
    Club:
    Deportivo Saprissa
    Nat'l Team:
    Costa Rica
    In both situations, all you have to do is wait for the play to be over and then you can challenge the play. For example, someone is running towards goal. A player claims he is offside. All the ref has to do is let the play go on until it finishes. THEN the opposide team should challenge the play. If it's a goal, challenge it right then and there. If not, don't worry about it. If he was offiside, all you would have to do is move the ball back where the offense started. If the player was not offside, the the goal stands.

18. Big balls

Big balls Member

May 22, 2006
    Sweden
    That's complete bullshit. I know 99% of non-Italians don't believe that this match was fixed but it still pisses me off when someone says it. Your post is good propaganda, lumping in a few fixes and then linking them to the SWE-DEN match.

After Sweden had scored that goal, it was a few mins left to play (basically injury time I think) and YES neither side didn't do much to attack. That time they did play on the result but before that it was a very competetive match. Denmark was more near to make it 3-1 than Sweden was of making it 2-2. I will not spend my time trying to point out any facts to you because I think your mind is made up, not because you've really analyzed the match but because you like to make inflammatory posts.

19. gethomas3

gethomas3 Red Card

Aug 3, 2007
    Miami, FL
    Club:
    Deportivo Saprissa
    Nat'l Team:
    Costa Rica
    Too bad I am not Italian. I am from Costa Rica. Anyone not Swedish or Danish can tell it was fixed. That is like saying Argentina's 6-0 victory over Peru in 1978 wasn't fixed (even though looking at the game, it was).

20. Big balls

Big balls Member

May 22, 2006
    Sweden
    I already knew you were from Costa Rica, I've read many of your posts, none of them makes sense.

21. deleted

deleted Member

Aug 18, 2006
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    It was proven in england last year that the whole of the ball did not cross the line. Only 1/4 did. I can get the internet link if you want. I also saw it on bskyb news.

Plus to award a goal when there is doubt in such a close situation, even in the case of it being totally over the line is against the rule. The rule says benefit of doubt goes to the defending team. Just saying.

22. deleted

deleted Member

Aug 18, 2006
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    They didn't get together to knock algeria out.

The match was played normally till half time. Then again for the next 15 mins and then they slowed down for the last half hour.

And that happened because they'd both go through. Not because they wanted algeria out.

23. gethomas3

gethomas3 Red Card

Aug 3, 2007
    Miami, FL
    Club:
    Deportivo Saprissa
    Nat'l Team:
    Costa Rica
    I bet it made sense when we, a small central american nation of just 4,000,000, kicked you out of the world cup in 1990. Dirty bastards! I still haven't forgotten those horrible fouls by the swedish bitches in that game. Even our goalkeeper couldn't play the next game in the second round.

24. Big balls

Big balls Member

May 22, 2006
    Sweden
    With nonsense posts as this one I've quoted, it's surprising that you haven't been banned already or atleast carded.

25. natnic3

natnic3 New Member

Sep 22, 2007
    Cant understand why this thread is not closed. All the racists red necks and anglo apologists are here.