Do you think St. Joseph's B-ball team will go all the way undefeated?

Discussion in 'Basketball' started by Soccer-Six-Shooter, Mar 7, 2004.

1. Soccer-Six-Shooter

Soccer-Six-Shooter New Member

Jan 17, 2002
    Arlington, VA
    As the only undeafted team left in Div. 1.
    Do you think St. Joe's basketball team will go all the way thru the tournament and finish the season unbeaten?

St. Joes is no slouch of a team, but thier conference is semi-weak in my opinion. My prediction is they lose in the 2nd round of the tournament. Sorry, no undefeated season.

Thoughts?

2. Ian McCracken

Ian McCracken Member

May 28, 1999
    USA
    Club:
    SS Lazio Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    St Joes is good, but they are not national championship contenders. They are small and have holes that will be exposed by solid teams. I can see them making it to the sweet 16, but no further.

3. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    St Joes can't rebound. If they gets a team that can rebound in the first round, they might be out. That being said, they did show their character in the last couple of games. All told, I think Sweet 16 is about right.

4. Spartak

Spartak Member

Nov 6, 1999
    Philly
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    St. Joe's will be out in the 2nd round or sweet sixteen. They are too reliant on making shots. A team with a big presence inside will kill them. I'm praying 'Cuse are in thier bracket so Hakeem Warrik ca foul out thier entire frontcout in the first ten minutes. By the end of the first half Pat Carroll will be guarding him.

5. Flyer Fan

Flyer Fan Member+

Apr 18, 1999
    Columbus, OH
    I would not be surprised if Saint Joseph's doesn't win the Atlantic 10 tournament. They play Xavier today, and Xavier is playing very well right now (9-1 in their last ten, I think) and gave Saint Joseph's a great game earlier. Jameer Nelson didn't miss a shot during that first game and he was the difference.

Also, if both Saint Joseph's and Dayton advance to the tournament finals, I like Dayton's chances on the home floor. I'm not stating flat-out Dayton wins, but I think they could if both teams make it that far.

6. Flyer Fan

Flyer Fan Member+

Apr 18, 1999
    Columbus, OH
    At half, Xavier is beating Saint Joseph's by 22.

7. Motterman

Motterman Member

Jul 8, 2002
    Orlando, FL
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ...and St. Joseph's loses 87-67.

Close the thread? :)

8. amerifolklegend

amerifolklegend New Member

Jul 21, 1999
    Oakley, America
    St. Joe's is so damned lucky that they left their starters in to play against X's scrubs. It may possibly have salvaged their number one seed.

With just over ten minutes left, Chalmers and Sato came out of the game for what was presumable their last time. Xavier was up by 34. The St. Joe's starters stayed in and cut the game down to 23 points before all five starters were eventually returned with a little more than 4 minutes left. The game ended with X only winning by 20 and their starters coming out of the game again with 1:19 left.

9. skipshady

skipshady New Member

Apr 26, 2001
    Orchard St, NYC
    As bad as the loss looks for St. Joe's, it shouldn't hurt them that much, "shouldn't" being the operative term. They have a better strength of schedule than the other recently cherry-popped team, Stanford, and Stanford lost to a team with a lower RPI (albeit one that was much hotter and by a close margin).

If Stanford gets to keep its #1 slot, then so should St. Joe's. Or not?