Do You Think Any MLS Players Might Get a Look At By Some of The Mexican Teams in SuperLiga?

Discussion in 'Mexico: Clubs' started by rock-star_79, Aug 2, 2007.

1. rock-star_79

rock-star_79 New Member

Nov 13, 2006
    Milwaukee
    Do any of you think that some MLS players might get a look at by some of the Mexican teams in Super Liga, to possibly sign?
    Is their any rumors?
    Has this ever happened?
    Would you like this happening more frequently?

MLS showed they have some good players that I think can do well in the FMF. I don't understand why the Mexican Teams do not look at the MLS for new players. They can get them at a good price

I would like to here from both MLS and FMF supporters. No insults please, only good opinions and questions.

2. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Rather than start a new thread I came here to start, I'll just ask here. Given how poorly paid MLS keepers are, relative to their quality, why hasn't the MFL raided MLS for its top 2-3 keepers? A guy like Joe Cannon is just worth more money in the MFL than in MLS because the financial stakes in the MFL are higher, and MLS lowballs its keepers.

I will say, in the SuperLiga, the MFL keepers' shot stopping has been good. But they've punched alot of balls I'm used to seeing caught in MLS, and their rebound control isn't what it should be.

3. Robert_08

Robert_08 Member

Jun 13, 2007
    El Paso
    Club:
    Club América
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Maybe they have been interested in signing someone, but the thing is that the team supporters wouldn't like it bit!

4. El Pipiripau

El Pipiripau Member+

Jul 10, 2006
    Escondido!!!
    Club:
    Club Santos Laguna
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    I know Americans have played in the Mexico, it's only a matter of time before someone gets an offer. I don't care who's on my team (with the exception of a few)...if I could root for Argentinians on Barca then I could root for an American on Santos. Actually, Sonny Guadarrama (sp?) is a US citizen on my team. I'm sure many will be reluctant at first but if they produce for their teams they'll get accepted. As much as the Mex/US football federations try to play up the the border rivalry, most club teams are very mixed.

5. rock-star_79

rock-star_79 New Member

Nov 13, 2006
    Milwaukee
    I agree, all you need is for a few to open the door for others, I can't imagine that they would care as much as people think. At the end of the day fans love their teams and dislike the opponants.

6. CyberAce100

CyberAce100 Member+

Jul 4, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    I've always thought that the reason MLS players rarely go to play in Mexico is because they simply don't want to.

7. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It'd be interesting for a journo to do an article about.

I think MOST MLSers don't go to the MFL because they're not good enough and/or their style doesn't suit the MFL. That's why the lack of GKs is, IMO, most interesting and most relevant. The only "style" factor is that a guy who is really strong in the aerial game is more valuable in MLS than the MFL. But it's hard to explain why the MFL has never come after a guy like Joe Cannon. Cannon was so eager to try something different that he took a half year contract with a French team to see if he could break through. I'm a big Joe Cannon fan, maybe I overrate him, but I was really shocked he didn't catch on as even the #2. So he came back to MLS. At that moment, an MFL team could have gotten him without paying a transfer fee, but there was never any buzz about any team even trying.

The only recent player I can think of is Daniel Hernandez, and he "threatened" Bruce Arena with playing for Mexico if he didn't get a chance with the US team. But guys like Arturo Alvarez can make more money in Mexico than the US. Or Ramiro Corrales...no world beater, but when he hit that stage in his MLS career where he's in his mid-20s, and he's not going to be a star, so the cap forced MLS to lowball him, he didn't go to Mexico. He went to Norway. (Or maybe it was Sweden.) I gotta believe he could make more money in Mexico, and even at equal salaries, the proximity to his family and the cultural similarites and the lower cost of living would favor Mexico.

In fact, if I were a journo, there'd be two phone calls I'd start with. I'd call Corrales and ask if he ever considered Mexico, and I'd call Cannon and ask if, when he left France (Lens maybe?), did an MFL contact his agent.

8. Onionsack

Onionsack BigSoccer Yellow Card

Jul 21, 2003
    New York City
    Club:
    FC Girondins de Bordeaux
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think the door swings both ways here.

i think a lot of gringo MLS players would rather not play in Mexico. What drives that? I am not sure, perhaps they feel they wouldnt be given a fair shot because they are gringos, perhaps they themsleves have some racial bias to the counrty, or perhaps the offers just are not as attractive as they are abroad elsewhere.

I know a few years back Club America wanted Donovan. I know there has been a few good US players in mexico.

As for the reverse, i think that MLS could be a tempting option for many FMF players in the future. If the $$ is right they could be tempted to play in the US. There is already a strong latino community in every US city so the culture shock would be minimal. The US also offers some inherant advantages for players with families. Also, the league is getting world wide exposure right now because of Beckham and many of the top names in the game have said publicly they would like to give MLS a shot while they still have good playing years left.

That could be a tempting proposition for mexican based players. Just as more money is a nice incentive for US based players to come to mexico. However, i think the only US based players that would make that jump are the hispanic ones because of cultural issues.

Speakig of Donovan, if he did ever play in mexico...would he immediatly be the most hated player in the league? I ask cause Blanco was always villian numero uno in the US, but since he has come to Chicago even the biggest Blanco haters have been giving him respect.

9. rock-star_79

rock-star_79 New Member

Nov 13, 2006
    Milwaukee
    The only way he would be villian numero uno would be if he is playing good for his club, which to his club he would be more of a hero then a villain. At the end of the day most supporters love their team and only want what is good for the team, my opinion.

10. la fresa

la fresa Member+

Oct 31, 2005
    texas
    Club:
    Serbian White Eagles
    i think mls keepers are over rated by mls fans. there aren't many great ones, most of them are just average. not saying they're bad by any stretch of the imagination, but most are not worth shelling out big bucks for. cannon is the only keeper i'd rate highly.

toja impressed me a lot from what i've seen of him. i wouldn't mind seeing him play in mexico.

11. AMEPUNKANIST

AMEPUNKANIST Member+

Dec 16, 2003
    Club:
    America Propria
    With the league only having 3 foreign keepers(2 at the verge of retirement)
    Mexican teams rather save those spots for Mexican keepers and save that foreign spot a foward or midfielder.

Other then keller or Howard, I haven't seen a keeper in the MLS that interests me.

12. sidspaceman

sidspaceman Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 20, 2002
    AMÉRICA DE CALI
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Didn't Cannon give up like 5 goals to Dallas?

13. Chiquitibum

Chiquitibum Member+

Apr 4, 2004
    Norte
    Club:
    Pumas UNAM
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    I remember in CCC a couple yrs back Revolution had some bart simpson looking black guy as their keeper. lol, dude had a gut.

14. rock-star_79

rock-star_79 New Member

Nov 13, 2006
    Milwaukee
    I do rate Cannon as well as Guzon from Chivas USA, he can be massive between the sticks and he's very young. Check him out sometime.

That was not Cannon's fault Galazy can at time be shocking. Cannon has saved Galaxy season, he is by far their best player next to Donavan.

15. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What's the foreigner limit in Mexico?

As far as MLS keepers being overrated (except for the fairly across-the-board respect for Cannon), I wonder if we're talking about 2 different things. No, Brad Guzan or Matt Reis is not going to dominate the Mexican league. But because of the supply and demand imbalance, a poor Mexican team could bring in a pretty good keeper from MLS for a pretty low salary, and upgrade their team while saving money for other spots. My surprise is NOT that the big teams in Mexico haven't signed MLS keepers. My surprise is that none of the poorer teams have...cuz those teams still have pretty nice salary budgets copmared to MLS.

To pick up on la fresa's point...OK, so a guy like Perkins is "average." But what does an average MFL keeper make per year? My guess (and maybe I'm wrong) is, several times what Perkins makes.

:confused:

So? It was one game. You're a mod here, try to set a higher standard.

PS...I could point out that he only gave up 5 goals to the unstoppable force that is the FC Dallas attack, while he had no such trouble against Chivas Guadalajara and Pachuca, but I'm afraid you guys wouldn't get the joke.

16. crzdcolombian

crzdcolombian Member+

Jul 17, 2006
    Avon,CT
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    I can see Juan Toja in Pachuca next year... they love Colombain players and he is one of the best we have. He preformed extremly well in Super Liga and is one of the players who might win MVP. He is 21 years old, has amazing potential and isnt own'd by Dallas he is owned by a Colombian Club which would prefer to sell him to MExico and get 2x more money than a MLS team could afford to give them.

Alturo Alverez of Chivas also impressed and holds a El Salvadorian passport.

If players do go I think they are going to be hispanic players, also dont think MLS teams would like selling players to the Mexican league because the MLS needs to become as good as the Mexi league and by giving them ur best players that really doesnt work

17. apollo_1444

apollo_1444 Red Card

Apr 11, 2007
    mexico
    MLS is full of good players, except for donovan who i hate but i guess we are just too used and trusted to argentinian brasileans and colombians more than anything but I believe it can happen, i mean some are really good.

18. apollo_1444

apollo_1444 Red Card

Apr 11, 2007
    mexico
  19. la fresa

la fresa Member+

Oct 31, 2005
    texas
    Club:
    Serbian White Eagles
    i see your point, but even the poor teams are set with keepers.

i'm actually not positive which teams are the poor ones in mexico, but everyone is pretty much everyone has a reliable keeper or two

very reliable goalies: ochoa, corona, michel, saucedo, calero, orozco, the younger bernal for veracruz, oswaldo, rodriguez, conejo perez

average - ortiz, older bernal, martinez (san luis), vazquez, perez (back up), christian martinez (back up), talavera (back up), lozano (back up)

could be better if they lost weight - munoz

foreign keepers: vilar, christante

so yeah, everyone is essentially set on goalkeepers. i couldn't see reis, guzan, or perkins, even if they are paid less, coming in and taking a spot from any of these guys, except for munoz, who i wish would get into shape, because he used to be pretty good.

on an unrelated note, i really wouldn't mind seeing keller in the league.

20. Chiquitibum

Chiquitibum Member+

Apr 4, 2004
    Norte
    Club:
    Pumas UNAM
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    I thought keller is some old useless grandpa after getting thrashed in copa america.

His time may have came and went.

Guzan doesnt really impress me either.

21. la fresa

la fresa Member+

Oct 31, 2005
    texas
    Club:
    Serbian White Eagles
    i really don't see what the big deal about guzan is. seems like he lets a lot of soft goals in.

i'd blame the US defense for making keller look bad in the copa, but you may be right.

22. Chiquitibum

Chiquitibum Member+

Apr 4, 2004
    Norte
    Club:
    Pumas UNAM
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Im just going off of what US fans were saying in their boards. They were ripping him a new one.