Do you suppose they'll announce the name on Friday?

Discussion in 'Houston Dynamo' started by Knave, Dec 15, 2005.

1. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    It seems in the short window they have to sell tickets that it'd be best if they named the team right away. I've gotta think AEG settled on a moniker long ago. Right?

2. Flyin Ryan

Flyin Ryan Member

May 13, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Houston Clash. :D

3. IBleedTeal

IBleedTeal Member+

Jun 2, 2001
    Yves Fiat
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    If the team is named the Houston Clash, I, for one, will be an instant supporter!

4. Dre00

Dre00 Member

Oct 12, 2005
    H-town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I hope so. It's cutting it close as it is to next season. Delaying a name and kit would only make matters worse. Besides, I don't want to have ??? in my profile very long.

5. denver_mugwamp

denver_mugwamp New Member

Feb 9, 2003
    Denver, Colorado
    I've gotta believe that they know exactly where the team will be playing, the name, the uniform colors and anything else significant. They've had a couple of years to plan this. The San Jose people think they're moving without any place to play but I seriously doubt that AEG is that stupid.

And I also believe they've laid most of the groundwork for a stadium. It's like when Kroenke bought Rapids and announced that the team would build a stadium. Everyone said "Yeah, sure." But I have to believe that KSE had already made contact with Commerce City and figured out what they'd have to do to make the deal happen.

6. Calexico77

Calexico77 Member

Sep 19, 2003
    Mid-City LA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I posted this in another thread. . .

I'd be seriously floored if they had a name by tomorrow. Even if things were going on behind the scenes all this time, I can't imagine that AEG, MLS, or anyone had their ******** together enough to choose a name, design a bunch of logos, and even get to Kinko's to print them out and mount them 8th-grade-science-project-style on poster board.

And, I REALLY can't believe that they'd give out the name, without the logo.

So tomorrow, I expect a welcome from the mayor, news as to where they will be playing, questions about players, etc., and goals for a new stadium. Then they will announce that the team logo/name will come out around the beginning of February.

7. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I did a quick check of the US Patent and Trademark Office website -- the website divulged the new name for the Dallas Burn within three hours of the announcement that they would be changing the name -- and there was nothing registered there that I could tell.

8. cristoforo7

cristoforo7 New Member

May 14, 2003
    Can you say "focus group"?

9. ritsoccer86

ritsoccer86 Member

Jul 18, 2005
    FC Dallas vs. FC Houston?? hmmmmm, its the holidays, surprise me houston!?! :cool:

10. pwave

pwave Member

Jul 28, 2004
    ValleyOfHeartsDelite
    Houston Fuaegos

11. chapulincolorado

Jul 14, 1999
    McAllen, Texas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico

In the art of negotiation, you can't have empty bluffs for long. I think AEG had at least already a stadium ready. But, I don't think they have name and colors ready. One way to get the Houston fans going is to have a 30 day name and color contest. So. Let's not be surprised if the Htown team plays with new name and logo, but has to play with generic jersey during 2006. Expect "Houston FC....Name Your Team Contest!"

12. suppitty

suppitty Member

Mar 15, 2004
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Deportivo Houston

13. Mikey mouse

Mikey mouse Member

Jul 27, 1999
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    First of all welcome to the league I know of at least two people I from the Houston area that were casual MLS fans be for this news and are over the moon that Houston is gettin a team.

On the team name side, i could find no obvious websites (www.houstonfc.com or a couple others) active or registred. but I would think that there has been some discussions about color, logo and the like already.

But my question is does Houston get the invite to the Carolina Challenge Cup March 18-25 or does the Charleston Battery have a back up team to play in the round robin tournament along with DC and the Metros?

If you get the invite, your welcome to come on down and see our little gem of a stadium and hang out in the pub in the stadium. also planning tailgates and poss. pub crawl during the week.

14. she ca go

she ca go Red Card

Jan 31, 2005
    Chicago
    The name is up in the air but I can tell you that your colors will be BLUE and WHITE since Adidas already designed the 2006 Quakes uniforms. You will get those with Houston in place of Earthquakes on the front.

15. fidlerre

fidlerre Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 10, 2000
    Central Ohio
    Considering the templates that Adidas has at its' disposal -- the design of a jersey from the 2006 Adidas catalog that had its' colors based on the 'Quakes has no bearing whatsoever on the new Houston squad.

16. muttly

muttly New Member

MNUFC
    Oct 20, 2000
    St. Louis Park, MN
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    houston.mlsnet.com/MLS/hou/

Don't know if they plan on filling in the blank page or if the link is bogus...no clues as to any type of name though.

17. she ca go

she ca go Red Card

Jan 31, 2005
    Chicago
    They are already in production

18. denver_mugwamp

denver_mugwamp New Member

Feb 9, 2003
    Denver, Colorado
    This would seem to go against the pledge by MLS to reserve the San Jose identity for a future expansion team. Since many of the Adidas uniforms use the same pattern, I wouldn't think that a color change would be much more than using different color fabrics.

19. scaryice

scaryice Member

Jan 25, 2001
    You're being ridiculous.

And I don't think they should announce the name tomorrow, because they can make another announcement in a week or month and get more publicity.

20. fidlerre

fidlerre Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 10, 2000
    Central Ohio
    I call BS on the newbie.

21. she ca go

she ca go Red Card

Jan 31, 2005
    Chicago
    I see your point but the 2006 Quakes jerseys have the "Wave Thing" down right side of the shirt not like any thing the Quakes had in the past so not stealing an identy from them. And MLS and Adidas are about selling product and Orange and Green don't test well with the public.

22. she ca go

she ca go Red Card

Jan 31, 2005
    Chicago
    Could be, we will see. Not really a newbie just got kicked off for posting something people didn't like.

23. Dre00

Dre00 Member

Oct 12, 2005
    H-town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I plan on going to city hall tomorrow for the newsconference. If the news hasn't filtered on here by the time I'm back (and I'll be shocked if that's the case), I'll let you know. More than likely, I'll just relay the little stuff that was skimmed over.

I'd also like to say that fidlerre is my favorite mod. Every time he posts, he brings Elisha Cuthbert in my life. Thank you...that is all.

24. murtaugh

murtaugh Member+

Jul 19, 2004
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    You may not remember, but back in 1997 Nike put Chicago Rythym shirts in their store catalogs and manufactured them, before the Chicago club told them to go take their stupid name, logo, and scheme and shove it you-know-where.

The Chicago Fire uniforms that were worn in 1998, bore zero resemblance to the Nike shirts they had designed and manufactured already. granted, they were a off-the-rack style, but Houston likely isn't bound to the Quakes colors or shirt style.

25. truthandlife

truthandlife Member

Jul 28, 2003
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    On Channel 2 in Houston they said they would announce the name of the team tomorrow. Oliver Luck also said that they would be playing in Robertson Stadium.