Do you stick with Gaston at Left Back??? [R]

Discussion in 'NWSL' started by Poachin_Goalz, Apr 9, 2003.

1. Poachin_Goalz

Poachin_Goalz Member

Jun 17, 2002
    Athens, GA.
    After her solid play on Saturday, should coach Stone stay with the hot hand and stick with Gaston at left back? This raises that classic question of building team continuity and familiarity using the same starters vs. maintaining depth. I am a big Family Jules Augustyniak fan but Gaston was impressive. I think the Beat should stick with Gaston until she proves otherwise and use Julie as bench depth for any of the positions on the left side. If Julie comes in as a late sub and outplays Gaston, then give Julie a start. This question also applies to Dominguez/Pohlers.

2. FanOfFutbol

FanOfFutbol Member+

The Mickey Mouse Club or The breakfast Club
    May 4, 2002
    Limbo
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    There is an old coaching formula that says that a player should never loose their position because of injury or one time suspension. However a player may have that position taken away for a player that is playing better or for discipline reasons.

I see no reason for Stone to violate this on one game’s performance, no matter how good.

However if the two players are near even in practice or if Gaston has been performing better in practice then that one game of superior play could be the difference in deciding who starts.

Either way it will be good to have a player of the caliber of either ready and able to come off the bench if needed

3. jd6885

jd6885 Member

Jun 30, 2001
    Tacoma
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    as for the Pohlers/dominguez "problem" he might just rotate them

4. Poachin_Goalz

Poachin_Goalz Member

Jun 17, 2002
    Athens, GA.

Touche'. You are right. However, it is nice to have depth in a position where other teams have a problem even finding a quality starter. Julie definitely has her work cut out for her maintaining her starting spot if Stone uses your philsophy and sticks with her. Either way, we have an awesome back line.

5. flix

flix New Member

May 22, 2001
    best kept secret
    Doesn't Effy play on the left side too?

6. Poachin_Goalz

Poachin_Goalz Member

Jun 17, 2002
    Athens, GA.
    I haven't seen her play yet. I have no idea. I am willing to spread the Effy legend though and say that she can play anywhere.

7. Beat 101

Beat 101 New Member

Mar 25, 2003
    Atlanta
    Oh, the Effy legend, spreading like wildfire.

Fact is not many people have seen her play.

As to the Julie - Gaston debate. You've got to go with your veteran. Leslie had a great game and I imagine, if Meinert, Mellgren and Lilly are getting the better of the left side, Julie will come out and Gaston will go in.

I think by the 4th game, Gaston will win the spot.

Effy may come in and win the defensive central midfield spot.