Do you plan on watching the women's world cup?

Discussion in 'Women's World Cup' started by jd6885, Sep 7, 2007.

1. jd6885

jd6885 Member

Jun 30, 2001
    Tacoma
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Do you plan on watching at least a game of the Women's World cup that is starting 10 September (either on TV, internet, or in person) ?

2. Kebbie Gazauzkas

FC Krasnodar
    Bulgaria
    Mar 29, 2007
    Sofia, Bulgaria
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Bulgaria
    For sure, hopefully I will find the time, women soccer has improved a lot in recent years and is perhaps no less dynamic than "masculine football".
    The top women's teams like Germany, Sweden, Canada, the U.S. etc. could challenge many male national squads.

3. jd6885

jd6885 Member

Jun 30, 2001
    Tacoma
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good games to look out for during group play would be Germany-England, USA-N Korea, N Korea-Sweden, USA-Sweden, Brazil-Denmark, Brazil-China.

The USA-Germany match of last world cup was fantastic and played with excellent pace, and comparable tactically to a La liga's style of play.

4. glennaldo_sf

glennaldo_sf Member+

Houston Dynamo, Penang FC, Al Duhail
    United States
    Nov 25, 2004
    Doha, Qatar
    Club:
    FL Fart Vang Hedmark
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I will definitely watch the final.... but I doubt I'll stay up late to catch any of the first round matches... I always catch a couple of games for the WWC... I remember enjoying both the final and semifinals in 2003. Went to Brazil -USA WCSF at Stanford in 99 and saw quarterfinal double header Norway-Sweden and China-Russia at Spartan Stadium, San Jose. Ill definitely start watching towards the knockout stages.

5. Nillan

Nillan New Member

Apr 30, 2005
    Lund Sweden
    Club:
    LdB FC Malmö
    Nat'l Team:
    Sweden
    Strange vote 50% wont watch any of the games.
    Me on the other hand wont miss a singel one.

6. btharner

btharner Member

Jan 22, 2007
    Selinsgrove, Pa.
    Absolutely, this is the World Cup and I will find a way to get all 32 matches watched during the tournament. It will be a lot of fun and without the childish antics of the men's WC last year.

7. Nillan

Nillan New Member

Apr 30, 2005
    Lund Sweden
    Club:
    LdB FC Malmö
    Nat'l Team:
    Sweden
    I agree :)

8. kickinthehead

kickinthehead Member

Mar 17, 2006
    I've always wondered about those "childish antics".

You KNOW you've committed the foul. Millions of people have SEEN you commit the foul both when it happened and the several times it was shown in SLOW MOTION FROM DIFFERENT ANGLES instantly afterwards. Why waste time arguing and claiming you didn't?

If you can't pay the fine, don't do the crime!

9. jd6885

jd6885 Member

Jun 30, 2001
    Tacoma
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I had originally posted this on the FIFA and Tournaments forum in hopes of getting a fair, unbiased result. But some retard put this in women's world cup forum. Of course the people in this forum will be watching the women's world cup. :sigh:

10. DCUPopeAndLillyFan

Apr 20, 2000
    Colorado
    Dude, it hurts when I laugh so hard that I snort soda out my nose.

JD - Yeah, I was wondering why you bothered to start this thread in this forum. Thanks for the explanation.

11. kickinthehead

kickinthehead Member

Mar 17, 2006
    The German Women's NT got beaten 0:3 by a junior Men's Team from the 2nd Bundesliga.

12. jd6885

jd6885 Member

Jun 30, 2001
    Tacoma
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A USA women's team (not this current team) got beat 3-0 by some random selection of U15 or was it a U13 boys team. Even the boys are much faster and stronger than full grown women in peak condition.

13. JanBalk

JanBalk Member+

Jun 9, 2004
    Probably U15, the Swedish top womens clubs plays fairly even with U15 boys team. Don't think the strength would have developed enough in an U13 team.

14. drahnier

drahnier Member

Aug 18, 2007
    Sweden
    Womens soccer is perhaps more like mens soccer was 50 or 60 years ago, in the way the games are played.

Much slower and with more loose defending.

15. nsa

nsa Member+

New England Revolution
    United States
    Feb 22, 1999
    Notboston, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I believe that it was a U16 select team - not random. Regardless, the women cannot play as fast and physical as the men. Nothing wrong with that. I love the women's game.

I saw the Boston Breakers scrimmage a B15 select team. Only one of the Breakers really went in for the physical play and she wound up with a shoulder separation for her troubles.

16. Ann

Ann Member

Feb 17, 1999
    MA
    Women's soccer IS NOT THE SAME as men's soccer. Women and men are built differently. That doesn't mean it's not enjoyable to watch. Can we please just accept that and move on? I can't stand that this argument comes up every time.

Anyway, I'm Tivoing all the games, and will watch at least some of all of them. I'm planning on getting up early to watch the first US game tomorrow.

17. nsa

nsa Member+

New England Revolution
    United States
    Feb 22, 1999
    Notboston, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Praise the lord! :)

5 AM ET tomorrow. I'll be watching, too, and listening for the cheering from Tyngsboro.

18. DCUPopeAndLillyFan

Apr 20, 2000
    Colorado
    Ann - I agree with you 100%. What keeps the subject coming up though are blindly women's-soccer loyal fools who really believe top women's teams can compete with anything resembling a top level men's side. The Washington Post, unbelievably, let a recent question through to Abby Wambach asking if the USWNT could make the playoffs in MLS. There's a reason men and women play and are evaluated separately - but when someone makes a dumb statement like the one that started this, shenanigans will be called on them even if it's just rehashing the obvious that most of us already know.

19. glennaldo_sf

glennaldo_sf Member+

Houston Dynamo, Penang FC, Al Duhail
    United States
    Nov 25, 2004
    Doha, Qatar
    Club:
    FL Fart Vang Hedmark
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    LOL!
    They just moved this thread to the woman's soccer section... and hey what do you know... the yes votes just shot up! :eek: What a coincidence!

Why not move the poll into the Argentine section and see what happens.

20. jd6885

jd6885 Member

Jun 30, 2001
    Tacoma
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    lol. Tell me about it...

21. peteo

peteo Member

Jun 19, 2002
    Daly Citay, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I did not make time for the first round games (maybe game three if it is do-or-die), and were going to channel-surf to catch any game at all, sans the knock-out stage. :eek:

But lo and behold, I caught most of the first half of the U.S.-PRK game, and stayed up to watch the entire game. :D

22. Californiaspurs

Californiaspurs New Member

Dec 22, 1999
    Santa Clara County
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Yeah, you couldn't take your eyes of the USA vs North Korea game and even more so the England vs Japan game.

It's hard to believe the Three Lionesses are part time players. I'd love to see them play if they were full time pros which they should be.

Wow, just wow, to both games. That's entertainment, thrilling stuff, though I wish that the USA and England had won of course.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

[​IMG]

23. Californiaspurs

Dec 22, 1999
    Santa Clara County
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Another stellar day of futbol. Very absorbing games, especially the one between China and Denmark.

We've seen waves of great goals, power shifting between the opposition so that you're constantly on the edge of your seat, amazing atmosphere, and emotional drama galore.

This really has been one of the best Cups I've ever seen so far, and the games just keep on coming.

Friday morning

Sweden vs USA
    England vs Germany

Wow, and this is just the group stages. Quality stuff. Well done. And kudos to you reading this being enlightened enough to be part of an icnredible viewing experience.

Although many people are watching worldwide, there are too many othe futbol fans who won't give the women's game a try and are missing out an outstanding tournament that is providing everything the beautiful game should be about.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Bring backThe Cyberrays!

[​IMG]

24. Californiaspurs

Dec 22, 1999
    Santa Clara County
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Another stellar day of futbol. Very absorbing games, especially the one between China and Denmark.

We've seen waves of great goals, power shifting between the opposition so that you're constantly on the edge of your seat, amazing atmosphere, and emotional drama galore.

This really has been one of the best Cups I've ever seen so far, and the games just keep on coming.

Friday morning

Sweden vs USA
    England vs Germany

Wow, and this is just the group stages. Quality stuff. Well done. And kudos to you for reading this and being enlightened enough to be part of an incredible viewing experience. :cool:

Although many people are watching worldwide, there are too many other futbol fans who won't give the women's game a try and are missing out an outstanding tournament that is providing everything the beautiful game should be about.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Bring backThe Cyberrays!

[​IMG]