Do you love women's college soccer this much?

Discussion in 'Women's College' started by ping, Jul 22, 2020.

1. ping

ping Member

Dec 7, 2009
    Val1 repped this.
  2. Val1

Val1 Member+

Arsenal
    Mar 12, 2004
    MD's Eastern Shore
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Your very own skybox? I'd do it.

ping repped this.
  3. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006
    Which brings up what plans your university is making for fan attendance, if any?

We just got a letter from the school yesterday. I won’t go into all the details, but they are offering season tickets for the 8 home dates left for men and women’s soccer to be turned into a donation, Carry over to next season, or refund anytime you don’t feel comfortable with a limited attendant- social distanced model for season ticket holders and students.

This assumes the state allows fan attendance. Oregon has a ban on games and fans until October.

Right now I don’t see how a couple in the 11% mortality rate cohort can attend, but we will buy tickets anyway and probably watch online. I’ll watch more practices from a Looong way away. The school could use the money I bet.

The NWSL Thorns also sent an email and are offering refunds or credit towards next season on the ticket already purchased for this year, which tells me there will probably be no games after the challenge cup.

HeadSpun, cpthomas and ping repped this.
  4. sockerdad06

sockerdad06 Member

Sep 12, 2004

????? what are the demographics of that cohort?????

5. hykos1045

hykos1045 Member

May 10, 2010
    Club:
    Philadelphia Independence
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    65-84 per the CDC, but I'm seeing it as a range of 3% to 11%. Mortality is known to be possibly exaggerated since many cases go undetected, however it's still a very high risk and we're really just splitting hairs if we adjust from 11% to say 5 or 9%.

6. Barry Selph

Barry Selph New Member

Barcelona
    United States
    Aug 16, 2018
    Not trying to be funny, but for most of the women's college games I've attended (daughter plays at small local D1), the "crowds" are small enough to easily allow for social distancing.

blissett and hykos1045 repped this.
  7. hykos1045

hykos1045 Member

May 10, 2010
    Club:
    Philadelphia Independence
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I used to wonder, even many years ago how long it would be before personal drones could attend events for us. That time may be coming. I'd sooner rent a go pro drone than obtain access to a skycrane for thousands of dollars (plus insurance). I'm also pleased with the amount of ESPN plus offerings that have cropped up in numerous conferences over the last year, maybe two. If they can continue to pull off accessible broadcasts, as long as it is viewed as an "essential" service and not becoming a casualty of budget cuts and staffing issues, we should be able to continue to follow matches that way. But the reason I expect we won't be able to attend matches is that schools won't want the liability plus having to staff these events with extra security. We shall see, but I expect the teams will be issued a certain number of coaches/families only allotments and will not open to the greater public due to not only liability but the majority of campuses wanting to keep the number of non-essential guests potentially spreading the virus around relatively low to non existent as possible. Just a hunch.

8. outside63

outside63 Member

Jul 15, 2010
    If you could control the drone you would be able to avoid the freshman camera operators that zoom in too much, or point the camera where the ball isn't.

ping repped this.
  9. PoetryInMotion

Feb 7, 2015
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Drones are actually forbidden at NCAA soccer events.

10. Klingo3034

Klingo3034 Member+

Dallas FC
    United States
    Oct 11, 2019
    Who knows, maybe with advances in battery tech and camera, you could watch the whole soccer match from afar.

ping repped this.
  11. outside63

outside63 Member

Jul 15, 2010
    Which is actually something I agree with. While Livestreaming is certainly an improvement on not being able to see an away game, some of the camera operators are really bad. I am resisting discussing the announcers.

hykos1045 and ping repped this.
  12. Klingo3034

Klingo3034 Member+

Dallas FC
    United States
    Oct 11, 2019
    I love the FA play app which allowed me to watch the British league on my phone. Can also watch it on the computer, just use the same username and pw.