Do you guys have built legs?

Discussion in 'Soccer Boots' started by Sakino, Jul 26, 2002.

1. RhymesWithGosh

RhymesWithGosh New Member

May 17, 2004
    USA
    i've got longer legs and my leg muscles dont bulge. They're long and lean, but even tho im only 140 pounds, i still have stronger legs then most of my friends.

2. Dr. Boots

Dr. Boots Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 15, 2002
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    i was waiting for the first person to make a joke along those lines, because i still have a sophmoric sense of humor even though i am 22 i find comments like this very funny.

i wnated to be the first to make the joke but you beat me to it and me being a mod and all i ahve to set a good example ;)

3. Dr. Boots

Dr. Boots Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 15, 2002
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I am sure your quite stunning and in the 25% of the girls that don't look like they got run over twice ;)

4. appleCORR7

appleCORR7 Member+

Jul 3, 2004
    UK
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
  5. hawk_claw

hawk_claw New Member

Aug 14, 2003
    Wisconsin
    i have huge thighs...always have..for only 115 lbs. they dont look liek they belong to me...my calves r kind of big

6. haithman

haithman New Member

May 14, 2004
    Maryland, USA
    I have really really skinny legs and calfs, but I have always been more athletic than most of my peers and have a much harder shot than anyone else on my team who even weigh about 60 pounds more than I. Guess that has to do with mechanics maybe?

7. ADIKeeper

ADIKeeper New Member

Aug 20, 2003
    Why is this in Equipment?

8. dienasty

dienasty New Member

Aug 17, 2003
    Silent Earth
    kicking hard and far is all about technique anyways...

9. Dr. Boots

Dr. Boots Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 15, 2002
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I should move it over to the player section but it is getting some decent response over here and I haven't felt like moving it just yet. I will get around to it in the next few days.

10. arcticduane

arcticduane Member

May 1, 2004
    Bradford, England
    I have a very built body for a 13 year old. Never lifted weights or anything. :D

11. Phil_Stangl

Phil_Stangl New Member

Dec 7, 2003
    Austria
    These pic is a screenshot taken from a little video, made by a digital camera (thats why it has such a poor quality)
    [​IMG]

12. dienasty

dienasty New Member

Aug 17, 2003
    Silent Earth
    Weight lifting isnt the only way to build your legs, long distance running and hills will do plenty for you, especially being a soccer player squats and all that stuff is good but good technique, and good physique from natural running are what I would strive for.

13. nvan_football

nvan_football New Member

Nov 1, 2004
    Vancouver,BC,Canada
    By the way, what makes legs stronger lifting 20times x10 pounds or 10times x20 pounds (never mind the numbers, this is just an example) Basically I'm just wondering if muscles have a kind of a memory, ex. when legs seem to be strong but were built with small weights, is that worse than the same looking legs but built with heavier weights. :cool:

14. hawk_claw

hawk_claw New Member

Aug 14, 2003
    Wisconsin
    for stronger calves do...calf raises.....keep ur toes and the balls of your feet on some stairs...so your heel and the back half of ur foot is on nothing...then lift them repetitvely.....otehr than that...run like mad...and play soccer 24/7

15. lillefty7

lillefty7 New Member

Nov 23, 2004
    Bismarck
    my legs have always been built. I only way 130 pounds but when i do the leg extension i lift atleast 160lbs. All the runners on the track team ask me what i do to get such strong legs. i just tell them to play soccer. :)

16. Case

Case Member

May 5, 2004
    Cambridge, England

Im sure sum peeps will disagree with this, but IMO working out is mostly a means to an end, and that end is primarily that u'll improve at whatever u train. The major difference between small weights/high reps and high weights/small reps is that with the former u'll be better at, well, small weights and high reps, and vice-a-versa.
    There's a whole bunch of ex.phys science about typeI and typeII muscle fibres, and there is such a thing as muscle memory (when the body gains a "kinesthetic feel" for doing a particular movement, it finds it easier to do it, ie why "u never forget how to ride a bike", but initially have difficulty learning how), so in my opinion there is nothing gonna make ur kick harder than, well cracking a ball into an empty net/against a wall.
    Yes, all exercise is gonna be good, but soccer is such an incorporation of speed/strength/power/agility that theres no reason to concentrate solely on one form of muscle training. Too much heavy weights (ie "bodybuilding) will make strong slow muscles that'll kick like a mule, but u'll have lost the ball by the time u swing ur leg, but thats no reason not to give heavy weights a few sessions here and there.

So anyway, if any1 bothered reading this far, my legs were freak-big when I was like 11, purely from running around all day playing football everywhere I could, but that was kinda it and they sorta stayed the same size since then, to the point now they kinda scrawny but nothing but muscle. When I trained as a lifeguard the coach mocked me when he found out I was the only soccer player on the course, as apparently we develop leg muscles in a way that REALLY hinders swimming (dense muscle with small surface area = sinking), and also I've been told that my back problems (pain in lower lumbar muscles) can be attributed to overly tight hip and glute muscles from kicking strength in soccer!

Wow, haven't we all learned summit! There will be a test!

And I also was hoping to be 1st to do a joke about the "middle stump"!

P.S, any1 sayin all female soccer players are ruff, clearly hasn't been following the Women's u-19 world champs! 18yr old swedish women running in shorts=ratings (plus they better than the Man U Vs Arsenal carling cup game!)

17. C. Ronaldo7

C. Ronaldo7 New Member

Dec 5, 2003
    Maryland
    With legs - wouldn't say the bigger the muscle the stronger it is, because if you look at a lot of pro players, they have pretty skinny legs but they are really strong. I am sure not many of you know him but there is a player in MLS named Josh Gros who has incredibly skinny legs but he is still the fastest player on DC United, and his shot has some sting to it as well.

18. Theo P

Theo P New Member

Mar 6, 2004
    Ya my dad's legs are bigger than Carlos' and he's not fat either. his legs are very toned, with barely any body fat on them. I have big legs too so i agree with the people who say that a big part of it is genetic. but i'd also like to say that i know quite a few professionals personaly, and some of their legs are super skinny. it's pretty weird.

19. hectordagreat11

hectordagreat11 New Member

Nov 9, 2004
    wat does IMO mean? lol :p

20. Numero_9

Numero_9 Member

Mar 31, 2004
    Illinois
    Club:
    Club América
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    In My Opinion

21. Grationi

Grationi New Member

Jan 28, 2005
    Reading/Notts (UK)
    S'up guys,

I used to work on my calfs but i had hamstring problems, and apprently the bigger (and therefore heavier) your calf muscles are the more strain you put on your hamstrings, so i work on my quads with leg raises, and let my calfs be as big as they wanna be from playing footie 3times a week! ;) and the reason most pros (beckham an co) hav fairly skinny legs is cos they run about 20miles/ game! I never seen a marathon runner with big legs! Technique is more important than strength.

22. Ben16

Ben16 New Member

Jun 10, 2002
    Georgia

Thank you somenoe who finally sees my point.