Do you feel any safer now than you did when the events of 9/11/01 occurred?

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by NEKSoccer, Sep 15, 2003.

1. MHaifa1913

MHaifa1913 Moderator
    Staff Member

Metro
    United States
    Dec 21, 1998
    New York, NY, USA
    Club:
    Maccabi Haifa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Actually in June, the Israeli government sold its 97% stake in El Al airlines. The company is now on the Tel-Aviv 100 and trades just like any other airline. The other 3% is owned by the Jewish Agency, thus the government has no real power over El Al.

2. bostonsoccermdl

bostonsoccermdl Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 3, 2002
    Denver, CO
    I dont know about that, but I think we are barking up the wrong tree. All this $$ spent on a program like this will "blow up" up in our face when a smuggled laptop filled with explosive or a privately purchased suicide cesna makes its mark....

In other words, the money could be better spent..

3. Garcia

Garcia Member

Dec 14, 1999
    Castro Castro
    From what I have heard from airline circles, the value quoted that the airlines determined a single passenger is "worth" is around a quarter on a million dollars.

That means, in a typical incident where a person dies, that would be worth about that amount. Thus, all measures to secure the passenger shouldn't go past that level.

It is a cost / value analysis thing.

I don't know how they can calculate lost revenue, the investigative costs and the following ad campaign to regain their share and possible price cuts needed to bring back business, but I guess it is the amount they are willing to "pay" for your security.

I feel 99.999999% safe when flying and know all the odds when compared to daily dangers around the house, but should the aim be for 100%?

I tend to feel like those who say that al qaeda took their best shot and got even more than they expected. It is even in that video where bin laden was watching the 9/11 footage. He too was even surprised that it went to that extreme. While I may not be as brash to say, "Bring it on!" but I do say that they got lucky.

No matter how many times we are saved from an attack, we may never hear of it, while they only have to get lucky once. In being lucky, they actually do their homework. I expect the US to do theirs, too.

That is the heart of this debate.

4. bmurphyfl

bmurphyfl Member

Jun 10, 2000
    VT
    Club:
    Montreal Impact
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I voted yes but it isn't related to any changes in protection methods or wars waged since 9/11 that leave me feeling more secure.

I simply came to the realization that the odds are tiny that I'd ever be hurt or killed by a terrorist attack.

I travel a lot for business but there are thousands and thousands of flights each day in America and on the worse day of hijacking ever, only four of them were hijacked. And when I'm not travelling, I live in friggin' VT. The only target of value in VT is a nuclear power plant which is 90 miles to the SE of me; away from the prevailing winds of my town. I'm about as safe from a terrorist attack as anybody could be.

Nope, I'm not gonna die from a terrorist attack. I'll probably have a stroke somewhere around 2053 and die shortly thereafter. It's easy to forget this when you get constantly bombarded by terror on the news but it's true (and comforting).

Murf