Do you feel any safer now than you did when the events of 9/11/01 occurred?

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by NEKSoccer, Sep 15, 2003.

1. NEKSoccer

NEKSoccer Member

Jul 21, 2000
    Long Island, NY
    Now that two years have passed since the events of 9/11, do any of you feel any safer than you did when those events occurred? I think I know what the answer will be, but your votes and posts would be appreciated.

2. Richth76

Richth76 New Member

Jul 22, 1999
    Washington, D.C.
    I voted yes. Simply becuase in DC we've been so consumed with these "terror alert" false alarms for the last two years that I just don't care anymore. It's like worrying about getting hit by a bus.

I'm also sick of Rummy and Cheney saying "when and not if" in order to scare everyone into supporting every wrong move they make.

Didn't the president say earlier this year that Al-Qaida was "on the run" and "out of commission"?

3. Own Goal Hat-Trick

Jul 28, 1999
    ColoRADo
    no... BUT... i dont feel any less safe than i did before the attacks.

4. Demosthenes

Demosthenes Member+

May 12, 2003
    Berkeley, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It would be fair to say that I feel safer than I did on 9/12/01. However, that's only because it's been two whole years, and I can't sustain a single emotion for such a long period. I don't think the U.S. is a safer place than it was then.

5. Hard Karl

Hard Karl New Member

Sep 3, 2002
    WB05 Compound
    I'm more worried about being thrown in jail or otherwise harassed by the government than I am about terrorists attacking.

I read something interesting the London Financial Times:

USD spent investigating Clinton's kanoodling around: 70 million
    USD spent on the September 11th investigation: 3 million

6. Roel

Roel Member

Jan 15, 2000
    Santa Cruz mountains
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    I feel about the same, so the answer was NO. Nothing of measurable value has been done to improve our safety. I live in a very safe area, but that has everything to do with a close-knit community, a transparent govennment and a healthy greenbelt around our town.

7. CrewDust

CrewDust Member

May 6, 1999
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I voted yes, I think the CIA and other national spy agencies are much more active now in intel of the terror groups.

8. verybdog

verybdog New Member

Jun 29, 2001
    Houyhnhnms
    I voted no. That's because violence begets violence. The US under Bush has used too much violence to deal with the world's problem since 9/11. I don't see that will do American citizens any good outside the country.

I'll feel safer when the president be a democrat.

9. bostonsoccermdl

bostonsoccermdl Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 3, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Because we all know that Democrats never have used violence.. :rolleyes:

Talk about a blanket statement..

10. mannyfreshstunna

mannyfreshstunna New Member

Feb 7, 2003
    Naperville, no less
    Yes, the correct response to 9/11 would have been to turn the other cheek.

Terrorists get discouraged when you don't react. Just like in third grade when Mikey called you "doo doo head" but you just ignored him and eventually he just stopped saying it.

For this post, pretend this is a thousand :rolleyes:

11. MHaifa1913

MHaifa1913 Moderator
    Staff Member

Metro
    United States
    Dec 21, 1998
    New York, NY, USA
    Club:
    Maccabi Haifa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have only been in the U.S. for a month this entire year but I have to say that there have been improvements but there still need to be more. For instance, an Israeli family flew to the U.S. and they were not allowed to enter because they had pictures of Rabbis who the Customs officials claimed looked like Osama Bin Laden. Okay, granted it was a stupid mistake for the customs officials but it just showed that they have started to take things more seriously.

But non government workers have not stepped up security. On El Al airlines in Israel, all travelers must have a small interview by an El Al official. If somebody is suspicious then they bring them in for more questioning, dogs sniff their bags, and sometimes they are not allowed to fly. By the end of 2004, all El Al planes will have an anti missile system on the planes. Two undercover sky marshalls are on every flight and the cockpit is locked and bulletproof. Israel also has a pretty good record of catching people trying to smuggle drugs into the U.S.

I know that some of these measures would cost money by why not just play it safe. One hijacked flight is too many.

12. mannyfreshstunna

Feb 7, 2003
    Naperville, no less
    Why we haven't emulated Israeli anti terror policies is beyond me. El Al is probaly the safest airline outside of Qantas. The anti missile is a great idea, but many here whine "it will cost too much." I don't care what the price is, because if just one more flight is hijacked the airline industry is done. Kaputt. Game over.

Also, air marshals don't seem to be catching on here. People we have to guarentee the safety of out flights.

13. Footer Phooter

Jul 23, 2000
    Falls Church, VA

I don't believe for a second that the 2nd item there is correct.

14. GringoTex

GringoTex Member

Aug 22, 2001
    1301 miles de Texas
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    I handled Mikey the way Bush would: I went and beat the shit out of Nancy.

15. verybdog

verybdog New Member

Jun 29, 2001
    Houyhnhnms
    Right. Bin Laden hit your right cheek real hard. And you killed everyone standing next to him. Then asked people "Bin Laden who?"

You think that's a correct response?

16. MikeLastort2

MikeLastort2 Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Takoma Park, MD
    :)

:D

17. spejic

spejic Cautionary example

Mar 1, 1999
    San Rafael, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    > I don't care what the price is, because if just one
    > more flight is hijacked the airline industry is done.

There is a big difference between El Al and airlines in the United States. The first is heavily subsidized by the Israeli government (just as almost all airlines outside the US are). They can afford to give up seats to guards and fit expensive equipment because they don't have to make a profit. Private airlines are not a profitable business, and are always on the bring of losing money. To ask them to do these things will have a massive impact on the airline business - prices would skyrocket and the number of flights will plummet.

18. mannyfreshstunna

Feb 7, 2003
    Naperville, no less
    This won't happen if another flight is downed????

19. spejic

Mar 1, 1999
    San Rafael, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    > This won't happen if another flight is downed????

So since we are going to die anway, you don't see anything wrong with shooting people?

20. verybdog

verybdog New Member

Jun 29, 2001
    Houyhnhnms
    Democrats use violence sometimes, but at least they don't brag about it. They also don't claim God's on their side when using it.

21. Hard Karl

Hard Karl New Member

Sep 3, 2002
    WB05 Compound
    http://news.ft.com/home/us

Find it for yourself. I get thet print edition and don't look at the website much. I swear its not a french newspaper.

btw: the "september 11 investigation" is that independant commitee that good ole Kissinger was supposed to be the head of. I would assume that 3mil figure does not include FBI expenditures.

22. mannyfreshstunna

Feb 7, 2003
    Naperville, no less
    So you don't agree with spending money to protect commercial aircraft flights?

23. bostonsoccermdl

bostonsoccermdl Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 3, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Now THIS I can agree with you on 100%.

24. spejic

Mar 1, 1999
    San Rafael, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    > So you don't agree with spending money to
    > protect commercial aircraft flights?

No, I don't agree with your absurdist reductionism arguments. Just because I don't agree that particular saftey measures have to be taken does not mean that no safty measures have to be taken. Saftey takes resources, and at some point it costs more than the benefit it provides. The saftey measures we already impose are close to that tipping point for most airlines. Putting in complicated electronics that are only partially successful against threats that have nevery been used against any American airpliner is height of unthinking reactionism. We are not helping ourselves by spending this money to no purpose - we will in fact be doing the enemy's job for them. They will always be able to get around the defense, or just attack some jucier target.

25. spejic

Mar 1, 1999
    San Rafael, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Stupid government.

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tm...0030918/ap_on_go_ca_st_pe/airlines_missiles_4

Bush is putting $100 million for development costs. It is estimated that it will cost $10 billion to equip all the aircraft. That is more than the market caps of United, Delta, American and Continental airlines combined. The government has become convinced that money is infinite, and that they can buy votes by spreading this funny money around on every idea they have.

I guarantee that not one life will be saved by this, if it is ever installed.