Do world soccer players go to college?

Discussion in 'MLS: General' started by mrecint, Aug 12, 2007.

1. mrecint

mrecint New Member

May 31, 2006
    Fishers, IN
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    When looking at some rosters, most of our domestic players have the field "College" populated, but foreign players don't. Do you think other countries' youth systems put (pay for) their players to Universities? Do countries oversees have a college soccer system? Did Becks go to University in England?

Is our NCAA system competetive?

2. Leopejo

Leopejo New Member

Jul 16, 2007
    Finland
    No, most don't.

3. Schwalker

Schwalker New Member

Apr 15, 2007
    Gelsenkirchen/Finja
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany

No...It´s a win or die situation for most players, if you make it you will earn big, otherwise you can as well start working for Burger King.
    Being a youth academy player in say England or Germany is a semi-pro lifestyle in itself but as players are expected to be available full time at the age of 15-17 there is no time for College.

4. BBBulldog

BBBulldog Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 25, 2004
    Dinamo Zagreb
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    no most don't, why do you think mullets are so prevelant :D

Alejandro 10 repped this.
  5. mrecint

mrecint New Member

May 31, 2006
    Fishers, IN
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wow, I guess that's a good incentive to give it your 110% and more...
    Also, if they're playing a semi-pro life style at 15-17 yrs...they are seasoned pro's by the time we, American players, are just getting to the pro level in our 20's. I guess there are the exceptions like Altidore, Donovan and Adu....

Thanks for the feedback

6. Steele

Steele New Member

Jul 10, 2006
    Atlanta
    The United States is really the only nation that uses University teams as a developmental league as the NFL, NBA, MLB and MLS all use the NCAA to some extent as a feeder league.

In other countries, Universities are strictly for learning. They may have clubs teams, but the leagues in those countries don't feed the leagues with players whether it be football, rugby or basketball.

7. Wangy

Wangy New Member

Feb 3, 2007
    Toronto
    As much as I support university athletics, I think that in the world of soccer, it puts US and Canada at a disadvantage. It is great for sports such as football and basketball but for soccer, we can clearly see the discrepency. Other countries in the world are able to churn out great players because of the fact that they have soccer-academies in which kids train day and night at a very young age. Not that I like such a system, but that is the kind of system that keeps you competitive in the soccer world.

We can also see it in basketball. European players are catching up very rapidly to American college players, even though I'm sure the participation level is very low compared to North America.

8. cuppatea

cuppatea Member

Jul 23, 2007
    Liverpool
    You have kids playing in the Premier League at 16. That's how old Rooney was when he scored his first goal for Everton, and Fabregas was a first team regular for Arsenal at 17.

In the UK at least, you're legally required to attend school until the age of 16, but once that school year is over, players like Rooney, Beckham and Gerrard are basically full time pros (although they can't sign a professional contract until they turn 17). University isn't even an option.

9. FijiUnited

FijiUnited Member+

Feb 21, 2007
    Orlando
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You can leave high school at 16 in the States as well.

10. mrecint

mrecint New Member

May 31, 2006
    Fishers, IN
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was starting to think this too. The US really needs to get a program going to make NCAA soccer one of the top 4 college sports (maybe it is, I don't know). In competitiveness and exposure, if it is truely one of the feeder systems to MLS. I know there is the youth teams for the MLS teams and the youth US Nats too. With 4 million kids in youth leagues, we SHOULD have more great players moving to pro soccer.

11. cuppatea

cuppatea Member

Jul 23, 2007
    Liverpool
    So what age do American athletes generally turn pro in team sports?

And how is it Adu was playing in the MLS at 14? Obviously he's not gone to university, has he?

12. TorFC-TML

TorFC-TML New Member

May 5, 2007
    Toronto
    Im pretty sure Junior Hockey players in Canada have financial support to go to college, but they basically are full time hockey players from about age 16 (or even 15).

College and University players have never been a big source of NHL players.

13. Steele

Steele New Member

Jul 10, 2006
    Atlanta

Clemson's starting kicker on the football team has been a starter on the soccer team since his freshman season and is a pretty solid player, but will spend most of his senior season with the football team.

In no other country would quality soccer players just start playing another sport at the age of 21.

The quality of college soccer isn't very high even in great conferances like the ACC, the season is short and the team really only practices for 5-6 months of the year. This isn't a great way to produce talent.

In the SEC only a couple schools even have soccer teams.

14. amavel

amavel New Member

Jun 25, 2007
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think as more young Americans make big transfers (Adu, Szetela, Feilhaber, the others in EPL etc), more youth players will finally realize that there is a great amount of money to be made and at a very young age. No other sport in the US (besides maybe NBA to a lesser extent) will allow you to play professionally at 18, anywhere in the world, and make potentially a million dollars in the first years. You're lucky to be a starter in MLB by 25, in NFL and NBA by 22 or 23.

My guess is that within the next 10 years NCAA will need to step up its soccer programs or it will become obsolete in the path toward a professional career.

15. FCDallasDynamo

FCDallasDynamo New Member

Jul 7, 2007
    Maui,Hi
    Well That is a great question. I have some knowlege on how the system works in France.They call it Sport/Etudes. As a matter of fact Tony Parker of the San Antonio Spurs attended such a facility. Five days a week sometimes six. You attend class in the morning and go to training the rest of the day. As a matter of fact I almost attended such an academy with the Girondins De Bordeaux. I also have to mention that the Educatif system in France is Higher than that of the US. The last year of secondary school in France is equal to the Freshmen or even Sophmore year of college here...

I can not attest that they have the equivalent of a BS. or BA. in whatever but they are educated.(many parents of the young prodigies insist on it).. well at least a good bit of them..I know it is not totally answering the question posed but this is my knowledge of the matter...

PS: i CAN ONLY IMAGINE THAT IT IS A BIT IN TUNE WITH THE REST OF EUROPE.

16. RichardL

RichardL BigSoccer Supporter

May 2, 2001
    Berkshire
    Club:
    Reading FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Not exactly true. While it is rare, it does happen. Current premiership bosses Steve Coppell and Lawrie Sanchez both went to university. In coppell's case he went to university in the week and turned out for Man Utd at weekends. Lawrie Sanchez played for Reading when he was still at school, which begs the question of whether he went into class saying "sorry Miss, I couldn't do my homework as I had to play midfield at Burnley last night".

One big difference of course is that there is no such thing as a sports scholarship here. Everyone who goes to university does so on the back of academic qualifications. That really limits the opportunity to go to university in comparison.

It does have to be said that not having a degree doesn't limit career prospects in quite the same way that it seems to over there. Qualifications you get at 16 are quite adequate for starting the average white collar job, for example, and those rejected at 18 are still young enough to train for a career outside the game.

17. cuppatea

cuppatea Member

Jul 23, 2007
    Liverpool
    Yeah but for Coppell and Sanchez, you're going back a good few years. In today's game, it's just not feasible for a top class Premiership footballer to attend university, while maintaining their professional sporting commitments.

18. ossieend

ossieend New Member

Apr 3, 2005
    derby u.k.
    It can still be done. The easiest way would be to go for an Open University degree which is basically a correspodance course with a residential part of a week or two per year.
    We also live in more enlightened times where clubs with academies ensure that young players have a proper education running alongside their soccer training. This prepares players if they don't make the pro grade or for life after the game. It also has the beneficial effect of keeping young pros out of mischief once training is finished for the day.

19. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    College soccer, and college athletics in general, is unique to the United States and has been mirrored, on a lesser scale, by Canada. (Though the CCCA isn't as restrictive, in terms of amateurism, as the NCAA is. MLSers Ante Jazic and Pat Onstad played college ball in Canada.)

Occassionally an international-caliber foreign player will go the US college route and still manage to have a high-level pro career.

David Weir, who played for Scotland at the 98 WC and is currently with Rangers after a long career with Everton and before that Hearts (where he won the Scottish Cup), played four seasons of college ball at Evansville.

Shaka Hislop, now with FC Dallas but before that a veteran of many seasons in the EPL and a member of T&T's WC team last year, played four seasons at Howard.

Canadian international Paul Stalteri, now at Tottenham after winning a double at Werder Bremen, played a season of college ball at Clemson and Argentine international Santiago Solari, who has won titles at River Plate, Real Madrid and Inter Milan, played a season of college ball at Richard Stockton.

There are others, especially from Canada and the Carribean and occassionally from Africa (Nigerian WC player Michael Emenalo played at BU) and Europe.

It should also be noted that lots of European pro players get their degrees while they are playing. John O'Brien, who signed with Ajax as a teenager, earned a degree from the University of Amsterdam while helping Ajax win a bunch of hardware. Bobby Clark, now the coach at Notre Dame but before that a member of Scotland's 78 WC team and a very successful player at Aberdeen, got his degree while playing. There are a lot more (like Sanchez and Coppell, as noted above).

20. Schwalker

Schwalker New Member

Apr 15, 2007
    Gelsenkirchen/Finja
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I think we can disregard the studies of players that already make big money...It´s not like they will start practicing medicine after puting their boots away eh?

21. Leopejo

Leopejo New Member

Jul 16, 2007
    Finland
    Well, we must not forget the '80s great (?) Brazilian national team and Fiorentina midfielder Socrates, nicknamed The Doctor, who became a real doctor of medicine while playing. He also holds a doctorate degree in philosophy and now practices sport medicine in his hometown.

22. Schwalker

Schwalker New Member

Apr 15, 2007
    Gelsenkirchen/Finja
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I´ll never forget him...a 80 ciggies a day habit, the only player I´ve seen smoking on the field during a break.

Still a heavy smoker apparently..But what a character, hardly typical though.

23. Jc1231

Jc1231 Member

Jul 2, 2006
    San Bernardino
    a least our teams are smarter than teams in other countries

24. Wangy

Wangy New Member

Feb 3, 2007
    Toronto
    You don't become smarter by skipping classes :)

And yeah, attending FSU on a athletic scholarship is as good as a pro-contract....

BTW, do you attend Montclair State University?

25. kikkoman1231

kikkoman1231 New Member

Jun 2, 2005
    Comiskey Park
    That was the most informative answer I have ever read.

In fact, I thought a lot of professional footballers did have tutoring or schooling at their respective club academies, but wow, was I way off. When they say you're a "professional footballer", it means a LOT.