Do we rest anyone this Sunday?

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by mj23drj, Oct 12, 2006.

1. mj23drj

mj23drj New Member

Sep 27, 2003
    Harrisburg
    There are 2 trains of thought here. We haven't being playing great as of late.Is it because there have been so many changes in the lineup with injuries and suspensions, or is it because they are tired? So do we keep everyone sharp by playing them, or do we give them rest to get their legs back? What's your thoughts?

2. JeremyEritrea

JeremyEritrea Member+

Jun 29, 2006
    Takoma Park, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Q: Do we rest anyone this Sunday?
    A: No.

3. revelation

revelation Member+

Dec 17, 1998
    FC St. Pauli
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    We should rest anyone who isn't going to give 100%.

4. BigKris

BigKris Member

Jan 17, 2005
    Falls Church, VA
    Players who should be rested this Sunday:

-Wilson
    -Rimando
    -Stokes
    -J Carroll
    -Moose
    -McTavish
    -DeRoux

...well, you get the idea.

EDIT: Sunday?!!?? Is that right? Crap, I gotta start paying attention.

5. MattMathai

MattMathai BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 28, 2004
    Annapolis
    60 minutes to our starters.

30 minutes to the subs, no matter what the score is.

6. John_Harkes_6

John_Harkes_6 New Member

Mar 29, 2000
    Baltimore, MD.
    No Boswell, No Gomez - sorry, both sitting on seven yellows and you can't risk losing them for the first playoff game.

7. Sundevil9

Sundevil9 Member

Nov 23, 1999
    Reston, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No yellow card suspensions carry over.

8. Sachin

Sachin New Member

Jan 14, 2000
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    The whole team's been on vacation since the end of May.

9. Bootsy Collins

Bootsy Collins Player of the Year

Oct 18, 2004
    Capitol Hill
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The passage you quoted seems internally contradictory to me. What am I missing?

Portion #1
    Portion #2
    So, portion #1 says a red card suspension from a regular season game shall apply to the player's next regular season game, while portion #2 says a player who picks up a red card in the last game of the season will be out the next game, even if that's a playoff game.

Huh?

10. dcchelseafc

dcchelseafc Moderator
    Staff Member

DC United
    Sep 2, 2005
    Naptown
    Club:
    DC United
  11. BigKris

BigKris Member

Jan 17, 2005
    Falls Church, VA
    The Magic Eight Ball - er, that is, the MLS Rules Committee - says "ask again later"

12. Hedbal

Hedbal Member+

Jul 31, 2000
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I say let's rest a bunch. Bring Jaime on as a 60 minute sub, so he plays no more than 30 minutes, and tell him to give 100%. Start Esky, but don't make him go 90 minutes. Start Dyachenko - I think we will find him useful in the playoffs, and his heft will help him weather Chicago's physical play. Nickell can absorb a pounding also. Gros would be useful, but I worry about cards (although only red cards affect playoff games) - his chippy play and penchant for cards has made him AWOL for three of our last six matches. i would love to see McTavish again, and maybe J. Carroll, but that might be stretching it a bit. I would like to say that I don't care if we lose if we play hard and smart and for a full 90 minutes, but in truth a loss would be bad for morale - mine and the team's.

13. Sundevil9

Sundevil9 Member

Nov 23, 1999
    Reston, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

OK, I'm going to try and make sense of it.

I think Portion #1 refers to MLS Regular Season Games 1-31.

Portion #2 applies to Game #32.

So if you get a red card in the first 31 games, you're suspended for the next regular season game.

If the red card occurs in game #32, then the suspension happens during the next MLS activity (playoff, or next year).

It's really poorly written. And I'm sure that no one is surprised by this.

14. John L

John L Member+

Sep 20, 2003
    Alexandria, VA
    FORWARDS
    Split Moreno and Esky as Forward

Start SSJJ and play him the full 90 or until he drops

MIDFIELD
    Gomez plays about half the game, too - Replace him with either Adu or Donnet

Play Gros if possible (maybe when Gomez comes out) -

DEFENSE
    Go with Erpen (he needs the playing time), Boswell and the more rested/healthier/rustier of Namoff/Prideaux

15. GWAIHIR

GWAIHIR New Member

Aug 30, 2006
    Under Your Skin
    I definitely don't think Iam alone in saying we don't want anyone suspended for the playoffs.
    That said, we're playing Shitcago. We need to send them a message in case we meet them in the playoffs. We need to get in their heads in a major way.
    I don't awnt to see players injured and it would be nice for everyone to be refrshed for the playoffss, but seriously, we need to keep everyone's match fitness. And more importantly any experience we gain from playing these rat bastards is good. We need to kick shitcago's ass for all the games we've lost to them not only this season but in the ten plus years of MLS.

16. DangerMouse37

DangerMouse37 Member+

Jan 22, 2004
    WDC / Barra
    Play Devon.

He is a great guy and he definitely needs to redeem himself for a somewhat sub-par round of mini-golf.:D

17. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Absolutely not. They need to get team chemistry back, pronto. It's crunch time.

18. griffin1108

griffin1108 BigSoccer Supporter

Dec 5, 2003
    Virginia
    Originally Posted by The ever changing MLS rulebook
    Card Suspensions Red card and caution point accumulation suspensions collected in Regular Season Games shall be served in a Player's next Regular Season Game. Any suspensions for yellow card points earned in a Player's last Regular Season Game will not carry over into the Playoffs, or into the next League Season.

However, the applicable fine will be collected in the current Season. Any Players who receives a red card in his last Game of the Season (Regular Season or Playoffs), will serve the one Game suspension during their next Game (whether it's during the Playoffs, Championship Game, or in the next Regular Season Game of the following season). All red card and caution point suspensions will, if necessary, follow a Player to a new Team. All fines associated with cautions or send-offs will be collected in the current season (before the calendar year expires)

I don't see why anyone finds the rule confusing.;) What I think it all means is the following.

1. A suspension caused by accumulated yellow cards applies to the next regular season game (i.e., Boswell and Gomez can get yellows Sunday with no effect on playoff availability).

2. Someone like Erpen who received a Red and a multi-game suspension would have any remaining suspension served in the next regular season game. (Assume a three game suspension and Sunday is game two of the suspension - then game "three" would not be the next playoff game but the next regular season game.)

3. Get a Red Sunday and you sit in the next game, period.

The quiz will be today at 4:00 PM.

19. shawn12011

shawn12011 Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Reisterstown, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Oh sure, next you are going to try to tell us you are a rocket scientist or something, just because yuo think you can explian MLS rules. :rolleyes:

20. Pints

Pints Member

Apr 21, 2004
    Charm City
    Rest? ******** me they haven't given 100% in 2 months. IMO they need to wake the ******** up and STOP resting.

Rest.:rolleyes: ..whatever.

21. LN - Dougg

LN - Dougg Member

Aug 26, 2004
    Dale City, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    El Salvador
    Just say NO. They can rest all they want after they win the MLS Cup.

22. MattMathai

MattMathai BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 28, 2004
    Annapolis
    Do you really believe this?

23. John_Harkes_6

John_Harkes_6 New Member

Mar 29, 2000
    Baltimore, MD.
    OK then

60 minutes to starters:

Sub out Jaime, Christian, and possibly Ben or Mattias at the 60th minute mark.

24. Pints

Pints Member

Apr 21, 2004
    Charm City
    On a personal selfish satisfaction level yes.
    Reality no, of course not.

I still don't see the point in "resting" anyone.

25. Sundevil9

Sundevil9 Member

Nov 23, 1999
    Reston, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I don't know what you're talking about....

[​IMG]

:D