Do we need to resort to hooliganism?

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by Delta Blues, Feb 28, 2007.

1. Delta Blues

Delta Blues New Member

Jun 25, 1999
    King Willieville
    I'm wondering just what it's going to take to get FIFA to actually protect our team, players and ensure fair officiating? We continually take the high road on the field and in the stands, yet we continually get abused by cheating punks, misbehaving fans and corrupt officials.

Do we need to start throwing rocks, concrete, piss bags, threatening the ref with bodily harm, attacking visiting fans, throwing rocks at opponents buses? Just what in the hell will it take to get CONCACAF and FIFA to actually enforce their ridiculous "Fair Play" standards?

I love the competition of the game, the rivalry and the passion. I'm also about on my last good nerve when it comes to how our nation constantly gets screwed over by the organizations which are supposed to ensure an even playing field.

I'm almost to a point where I condone this kind of behavior. ALMOST. It's just sickening how nothing is ever done to protect our team and I'm really, really tired of it.

2. babytiger2001

babytiger2001 New Member

Dec 29, 2000
    Melbourne
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Moved to the main USA Men's forum.

Which, by no means, is a statement advocating this type of action being proposed.

3. Delta Blues

Delta Blues New Member

Jun 25, 1999
    King Willieville
    I agree. This is just a post of desperation. I am all for yelling loud, giving the opponents all the verbal harassment they can handle and leaving it at that. The undisputed fact is that the USA is consistently on the short end of officiating and FIFA decisions. Sure, much of the world is completely jealous of this country and therefore hates it, but I thought football was allegedly non-partisan? When will it show? Eventually someone (not me probably) will get fed up enough to begin the type of behavior that is seemingly endorsed by FIFA against us. Even the most patient of people can only take so much. The latest travesty of FIFA ignoring Oswaldo Sanchez's behavior just furthers the acrimony. Eventually the fans will deem that they need to take it into their own hands. Again, I don't condone it, but how long can we just take it up the tailpipe?

4. babytiger2001

babytiger2001 New Member

Dec 29, 2000
    Melbourne
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So shall we make this the proverbial "primal scream" thread?

That can make for some good therapy... as opposed to doing somthing stupid along the lines of civil disobedience. :)

Can we get a list from the recent past as to what has gone wrong?

And for objectivity's sake, a similar list of what has gone right?

But was there ever an official complaint registered to FIFA, by the USSF or anyone else?

I don't think FIFA acts on these things, with as many matches that were going on during that date, unless the proper channels of complaint are followed.

It's not like the NFL -- or over here, the intense video review following every AFL match -- where each game is heavily scrutinized by video and by committee. FIFA should be that thorough, but I have reason to believe that they're not, and that's just a hunch.

Hey, could be worse. We could be taking it up some other grotesque orafice. :p

5. BMGSouthCity

BMGSouthCity New Member

May 29, 2006
    St. Louis
    The Oswaldo Sanches lunge was over the line. I realize that we won the game, and that he made only minimal contact with Johnson, but it was a deliberate attempt to harm and/or injure another player. Unacceptable in any sport, in any match. I suspect it has more to do with the USSF than with FIFA.

There were times during World Cup Qualifying when I thought the USSF would have to make a complaint to FIFA, or one of our opponents was going to succeed in reinjuring DaMarcus Beasley.

Eventually, something like that will probably happen. Someone will take a cheap shot at one of our players and cause a serious injury. Or Tim Howard will be burned by a flare thrown from a hostile crowd. The USSF is succeeding in looking classy, but I think someone is going to get hurt before they seriously consider making complaints to FIFA.

Hooliganism won't do it. Our opponents will do it, more than likely, at the cost of a US player.

6. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    if you are referring to the US-Mexico game recently, that occurred in the USA. So if FIFA were to discipline any Federation, it would be the USA Fed, who had sole responsibility for the behavior of the fans at that game. Ironic, huh?

7. dfb547490

dfb547490 New Member

Feb 9, 2000
    The Heights
    He's not talking about punishing the fans, he's talking about punishing Dirty Sanchez.

8. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Some of yall are over acting with the whole Dirty Sanchez thing. All he did was try to trip him. If Eddie Johnson still has a problem with it than he should go up to Oswaldo and say "I'm going to f_cking kill you, motherf_cker"

Eddie is a "grown ass man," he doesn't need someone to fight his battles for him.

9. dfb547490

dfb547490 New Member

Feb 9, 2000
    The Heights
    Thing is, EJ has class, and was smart enough not to start something on the field.

Players shouldn't have to retaliate on the field for cheap shots, the officials should do it for them. When the officials don't, then they're encouraging cheap-shotted players to retaliate.

10. Bigrose30

Bigrose30 Member+

Sep 11, 2004
    Jersey City, NJ
    If Eddie Johnson would have tried to "fight his own battle" he would have seen a red card, and then assuredly received an additional 3 match ban for aggresive behavior.

The entire point of the complaints on this matter are that EJ shouldn't have to fight this battle...the proper retribution for someone who deliberately tries to injure an opponent, especially outside the run of play, is for FIFA to crack down with a suspension. This would act as both a punishment and a deterrent, and prevent ugly scenes that are becoming so commonplace these days.

How can Pablo Mastroeni receive a 3 match ban for a tackle to try to win a ball, and Oswaldo Sanchez receive nothing for a tackle to try and injure a player during a stoppage in play?

I wonder if the USSF has done anything at all to protect its players, or if they are too busy trying to fit in hearings for Sunil's salary in between his three other jobs.

11. MightyMouse

MightyMouse BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 19, 2003
    Island paradise east of the mainland
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wish to say I hope none of you DC fans plan on doing ANYTHING to the visiting Honduran team or fans because they treated DC UNITED with the utmost respect down there. I hope all DC fans welcome Honduras's Olimpia with generous open arms and cheer them on regardless of how they do against DC (so long as we win). It would be polite to return the favor the their fans that were nothing short of magnificent.

12. cleansheetbsc

cleansheetbsc Member+

Mar 17, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    F*ck rep. I got a callback in the morning.

13. cleansheetbsc

cleansheetbsc Member+

Mar 17, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    Shouldn't be any problems. If memory serves correct, DC is Honduras' home away from home.

14. dfb547490

dfb547490 New Member

Feb 9, 2000
    The Heights
    I've been to 2 US-Honduras games (one was U-23) and seen others on TV, and I've never known their fans or players to be anything other than classy. They're a beacon of light in the murky depths that is Central America.

15. NHRef

NHRef Member+

Apr 7, 2004
    Southern NH
    It's really pretty simple, one was called, one wasn't. We can debate either call/non-call, but my point is the ref did NOT call the Sanchez attempt, probably because it failed. By not calling it, there's no card, so there's nothing for FIFA to review. Why would they open a can of worms by reviewing something that had no effect on the game, nobody was hurt, no side effects in the game and no call was made?

Don't get me wrong, it was a disgusting attempt, but can FIFA get involved on their own or does something have to be appealed or a call to be checked on happen?

16. Delta Blues

Delta Blues New Member

Jun 25, 1999
    King Willieville
    Agreed. I even posted about their fans being very passionate, but respectful after the Olimpia match.