Do we need another goalkeeper?

Discussion in 'Manchester United' started by delshaffer, Nov 1, 2004.

1. delshaffer

delshaffer New Member

Feb 22, 2004
    Charleston, SC
    I don't know if we need to sign another goalkeeper. I think we need another midfielder or defender first. Tim Howard is one of the best and Roy Carroll is not far behind. Our problem isn't stopping goals, it is scoring goals. We need to get rid of Silvestre and maybe Brown. I could handle that. Who would we sign to be goalkeeper next? What are the transfer rumors for that and other positions?

2. Motterman

Motterman Member

Jul 8, 2002
    Orlando, FL
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think we should sell Silvestre, keep Brown. Spector is coming on, and we have O'Shea as well. Even Pique looks a player.

Djemba doesn't look like he'll be able to replace Keane, so he should go.

Fletch, Miller and Klebs should all stay.

Fortune, out.

Keep P. Nev.

I can't see us getting much in the transfer market for any of the players I would like to see leave. So that leaves freeing up weekly wages space....

Here's where it gets sticky....

I see Saha as our fourth striker, personally. It may be a luxury we might have to do without until we get the midfield sorted...

With a replacement of Giggs and Keane needed on the horizon, we have to see if Richardson, Eagles, Fletcher, Rossi, N'galula, Djordic, or any of the other kids are up to it...

3. BillyManutd

BillyManutd New Member

Nov 17, 2003
    NYC
    The problem is that there is no transfer funds so we won't be acquiring players unless we sell someone. Even though I'd like to keep Silvestre, I think selling him might be a good option to raise cash if we can renew Brown's contract and give a chance to Spector and/or Pique. Fortune, Kleberson and Ricardo should be out. About signing a goalkeeper, Carroll's contract runs out in the summer and apparently there is no interest in keeping him, Howard has talent but how he will play if given a long run is unpredictable, and Ricardo seems not good enough; I say we let Howard have a run and then see how he performs and sign a goalie in the summer when Carroll leaves. I prefer the team to get a proven defensive midfielder and a versatile attacking midfield player in January.

4. FCDallas96

FCDallas96 Member

Aug 12, 2004
    Dallas
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am more worried about our midfield at the moment. I haven't been able to watch the Pompey game but followed it on match tracker and it seemed like Giggs was nowhere to be found. Giggs disappeared for long stretches in the Arses game and now in the Pompey game. We need a left winger now and a goalie later.

5. Cou5

Cou5 New Member

Mar 24, 2004
    right here...
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What we need is our goalscorers to do just that...SCORE GOALS! All our problems would vanish if we could just put the ball in the back of the net. We need to find the eventual replacement for Keane and Giggs; we either need to find a new #1 or get Timmy back on track. Our defense is fine, we have a good midfield, we have fabulous forwards. If EVERYONE does their job; SAF keeps the same 11 on the field and they can gell - WE WIN!

Keep the faith...

6. haven

haven New Member

Jul 9, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Too many variables. Depends on who you think is expendable, but also who would raise good value and how badly we need new players. We can't sell the right players to get Gerrard (or someone similar) without gutting the core of the team.

I agree we don't need a new GK. We've got two guys who seem capable.

The needs are obvious. Left wing and central midfield. Apparently, though, we'll have to take our swings at youth and hope for the best.

7. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--

What the hell is wrong with Carroll? The guy has been very solid... mistake free so far and yet I hear talk of bringing in a new #1... its nice to have a match winning GK, but its better to have a matchwinning midfielder or striker... we just need a GK who wont consistently cost us a match.

I say we loan out Saha in the summer for a year... by then we will know exactly how Rooney will fit in and how Smith will fit in with the team as well. I would much rather loan Saha out than sell him. Loan him to Barca next year - Larsson will retire and they will need a target. Juve might be shopping too... hell, now that i think about it, if we are loaning to big clubs we might as well sell him... as we could get some good coin for him but i would rather we keep him.

8. Cou5

Cou5 New Member

Mar 24, 2004
    right here...
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Nothing is wrong with Carroll, just assuming that his contract negotiations don't get settled do you want to be left with Howard and Ricardo?