Do we hate DC United?

Discussion in 'FC Dallas' started by Scipio Gothicus, Nov 29, 2003.

1. Scipio Gothicus

Aug 6, 2001
    Cabo San Lucas
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For the past ten months or so, we have had our problems with DCU, from Earnie to Freddy. In bedtween, there has been Dema, Hristo, and poor addition by refs.

Do we hate DCU? Of course. Do we hate them more than other teams? As much (or more) than Chicago?

I ask this due to discussion with a DC fan who accuses us of animosity while explaining how the burn made out like bandits on the Adu deal.

Here is what you need to do to make a rueben sandwich. Take two pices of rye bread, spread mayo on one slice, and thousand island on the other. On one slice, spread some sourkraut, as much as you like. On top of the kraut, place one slice of corned beef, the one slice of swiss cheese, than another slice of corn3ed beef. Add more corned beef if desired, then put the bread together. Lightly grill or fry in butter on both sides. Traditionally, a rueben is served with potato salad rather than chips or fries.

2. seahawkdad

seahawkdad Spoon!!!

Jun 2, 2000
    Lincoln, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Do you hate the Redskins?

Of course!

Therefore you must hate D.C. United.

Balance must be maintained.

Since our football team can't beat yours, our soccer team has been commissioned to make your lives miserable.

Makes sense, yes?

Balance must be maintained.

3. Texan

Texan New Member

Jan 8, 2001
    I hate D(i)C(k) United and it has nothing to do with my also intense hatred for the Deadskins. It begins with Kovalenko. Hudson and the Adu "deal" just add fuel and the patronizing nature of the typical United fan tops it off.

4. Scipio Gothicus

Aug 6, 2001
    Cabo San Lucas
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Do I hate the Redskins?

Certainly not. Along with the Ravens, they are my favorite team.

I do not happen to hate DCU any mor3e than any other team, though certain instances with individual players on DCU have not happened with other teams.

5. jason1551

jason1551 Member+

Apr 9, 2003
    Columbus, GA
    Club:
    DC United
    No. I like both teams, but follow DC more closely and acknowledge that there is some general animosity between the two clubs over what has happened over the last year or so, but I don't think it is on the same level as the Chicago/Dallas rivalry. The "hate", IMO, comes as a result of the last season or so, so it seems too brief a time to really be considered true hatred. At the moment, it feels more like a grudge than anything else. Give it a few years and that could change.

6. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    IF DC lose Stoichkov then we will really only hate Kovalenko. Most of us don't like the trade involving Freddy but DC had nothing to do with it. Since we only play two games a year with Chicago we may eventually lose them as a main rival. It would help if we made the playoffs as it is hard to be anyone's rival when you are getting your backside tanned and watching the meaningful games on TV.

7. Mario

Mario New Member

Mar 11, 2000
    San Salvador, El Sal
    i see you have listed the almighty FC Barcelona, I'd like you to join our discussion in the Barça forum

8. ArsenalTexan3

ArsenalTexan3 Member

Arsenal
    Sep 24, 2002
    Jakarta
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I wouldn't recommend it. He'll then say he also likes Real Madrid. He is a band wagon jumper.

9. Mario

Mario New Member

Mar 11, 2000
    San Salvador, El Sal
    ouch!

oooppssss

10. jason1551

jason1551 Member+

Apr 9, 2003
    Columbus, GA
    Club:
    DC United
    What is it with you and band wagons? Every time I try to respond to a topic here you act as if it's some grave trespass. I like DC and I like Dallas, the first because I liked the name and the second because I came from Texas. Plus, it gave me an East team and a West team to root for. If you can't get over the fact that I like two MLS teams, then you never will. In the mean time, your act is getting old and annoying.

And if you must know my reasons for being a Barca fan, it's because were one of the first teams I started watching on TV. I liked their style, liked the team, and liked the players. It only grew when I went overseas and got to watch them constantly and got to go to their stadium while I was in Spain for spring break. As far as Madrid is concerned, I hate their team and their team management. Personally, I hate the fact that they think they can buy a team full of superstars and think that it translates into being a good team. In reality, they have way too many egos and have too many cooks stirring the pot.

11. Mario

Mario New Member

Mar 11, 2000
    San Salvador, El Sal
    buddy! you're more than welcome!!! :D

12. Scipio Gothicus

Aug 6, 2001
    Cabo San Lucas
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, this is all very nice, and I have a Barca jersey and a scarf, but do we hate DC United?

My memories are of a great rivalry the first four years. DCU thought they could walk in anywhere and win, but I doubt they thought that about the Cotton Bowl.

And we also had a few DCU supporters at the tailgates before and after the game. Regardless of the outcome, both groups were gracious in victory.

Now DCU has a pompous jackass of a coach and two thugs in the lineup. Talented thugs, but thugs nontheless.

I miss the old days.

Also, Aresenal is really nice in person.

13. burning247

burning247 Member+

Liverpool FC
    England
    Sep 16, 2000
    Dallas
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I HATE Stoichkov

I HATE Kovalenko

I HATE Adu (yes Adu), and I'll boo him when he comes here and everyone should, he pretty much screwed us out of our draft pick. The only time I'll be an Adu fan is if he's in a US jersey.

I HATE Hudson

so you take them out of the equation and you just have a bunch of fools running around, but I wouldn't hate them.

so to answer the question, yes we hate DC.

14. terp fan

terp fan New Member

Nov 21, 2000
    don't hate

Don't hate DCU for the Adu deal, they're the ones that got screwed. They ended up with a player who can't help them for at least 3 years, lost a major allocation and they needed immediate help. Adu is actually worse than having a weak developmental player because he will be such a distraction for the players and coaching staff. Dallas gets an allocation out of this instead of a college player, you guys are the winners here so don't hate, rejoice at your good fortune.

15. gotyourback

gotyourback Member

Jul 18, 2002
    Aurora/Arlington
    Re: don't hate

I think the Metros getting a stadium is an important factor to consider in the region.

The Revs have experienced a decline in attendance that worries many, and DCU has problems on and off the field. The league has not enjoyed the regional popularity that it has hoped for (especially with the decline of DCU), so advertising dollars (or lack thereof) have hurt revenues.

But a new stadium deal solidified and 'actually built' - would help stabilize the region to where players would 'want' to come and play, teams would enjoy a better growth pattern, and someone like Adu would actually WANT to stay-and-play instead of going for the big-bucks in Europe.

Donovan was one thing, but Adu leaving the US when he's seen limited time in MLS - would be very damaging to the league.. and DCU would be down-trodden once again.

The first thing I would do if I were at the helm in DC - would be to get rid of Stoichkov, change the team uni's away from all black, and coach them to play extra clean as to distance themselves from the hack-attack syndrome. That would be a critical 'starting point' in order to help diminish any possibility of Adu's leaving and damaging the organization like Stoichkov did. Do a Fire-like turnaraound (at least relative to the contrast in fouls and respectability) and it would help form a foundation that the Adu's might invest in long term.

Trying to turn Freddy into a Nightmare On Elm Street would be a big mistake.

16. ArsenalTexan3

ArsenalTexan3 Member

Arsenal
    Sep 24, 2002
    Jakarta
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Great, you come from Texas. Liking dc and Dallas who are the SAME league is like saying you like celtic and rangers, Arsenal and United. It just doesn't happen unless you jump from team to team. So here is a hint, pick one team and if you have a favorite player on other teams, thats fine, but just don't come here rambling on about Dallas when you are far more concerned with dc. If you think my act is getting old and annoying, watching you come here and post is rather pointless as you are a troll who comes to start trouble. Now go back to the dc boards and everything will be fine. You are tresspassing since you liek to jump from one side to the other. At least JoeW acknoledges where he is coming from before posting.

Fair enough. You sound like a decent barca fan.

17. Brushes Sand

Brushes Sand Member

Oct 12, 2000
    polychronicqatsitime
    Re: don't hate

There is no proof whatsoever that DC will
    be surrendering an Allocation in this deal.

1. They don't have any Allocations today.

2. The League Release did not say that the
    Allocation coming to Dallas effects the DC
    ledger in any way, shape, or form. Specifically,
    no where in any League Communication of the
    last 2 weeks is there any statement to the
    effect that "Dallas will receive DC's next
    naturally occurring Allocation (i.e., from the
    departures of Stoichgoon/Convey/Etch)."

No, the bottom line here is that DC, with NO
    standing in the draft, is getting the highest
    paid player in the league with out having to
    surrender ANYTHING.

AND, when this player leaves, DC will then
    be given an Allocation for his departure.

DC has been handed a $1MM salary cap
    exemption and a Future Allocation, for free.
    This is Single Entity, so by definition, I am
    helping to fund this Malign Fiesta, and thus
    I have every right to call you out for
    Selective Reality Reconstruction.

Your post is wishful thinking, but more
    importantly, it reflects an Ostrich-like
    mentality of Subjective Perversion. More
    easily, we can label your post as an example
    of the tone and tenor of this entire affair:

SHENANIGANS.

-bs

18. gotyourback

gotyourback Member

Jul 18, 2002
    Aurora/Arlington
    Re: Re: don't hate

If DCU gives up nothing to Dallas for Adu, then we should get Convey with a guarantee that if he leaves for Europe, WE get the transfer fee. If the league cannot do this, we should get the 'major allocation' from the league, Convey with no cap penalties, AND Petke.

The concept of DCU getting Adu without cost is a travesty. This CANNOT happen.

19. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I hate Dema with the heat and intensity of a thousand burning suns.

But the rest of DC United and its fans? I mostly feel sorry for them.

Chicago will always be #1, #2, and #3 on my most hated list.