Do Monaco's unfair tax advantages hurt the other clubs ?

Discussion in 'France' started by SportBoy333, Oct 24, 2003.

1. SportBoy333

SportBoy333 Member+

Jun 27, 2003
    A while back a few French managers were complaining about Monaco's so called tax advantages and how they are taking a European spot away from other French clubs. They called for an extra Champions League spot for France or Monaco to get their own independent spot.
    What do you all think of this ? I personally think the managers are a bunch of whiners and I have no problem with it. I dont look at Monaco as taking a European spot away from a French club I look at them AS a French club not some distant foreinger. Sure their tax situation might be a bit unfair to the other clubs but the others seem to compete well with them so its a not a huge deal like the managers think. Its not like Monaco are in the Champions League every single year after year "stealing" a spot. They've had plenty of rough patches. I hope the mangers dont get their way I doubt they will.

2. eneste

eneste Member

Mar 24, 2000
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Monaco does have an unfair advantage though and they are a seperate country. If the French Federation truely was wanting the most for their teams they would kick Monaco out of the league and that spot they are taking would go to a French team. While that might be good in the short term, in the long term, it would be detrimental as the league would be weaken and in theory their UEFA coefficent would drop and perhaps they might lose a spot. Nothing will be done about it.

3. SportBoy333

SportBoy333 Member+

Jun 27, 2003
    yes I know the league would be weakened if they left thats why things need to stay as they are.

4. joeblade

joeblade New Member

Sep 30, 2003
    Manchester, England
    As Monaco are playing in the FRENCH league, their tax situation as a football club should conform to French laws.
    The club would have no option but to agree to this if the league stood their ground, as they need to be in the league even more than the league needs them.

5. Alphonse

Alphonse New Member

May 30, 2003
    La France
    They have connections to le maffia, so I do not think something will come from this.

6. SportBoy333

SportBoy333 Member+

Jun 27, 2003
    No I think the league needs them more because ASM could just say " screw you France" and go play in Italy start in Serie C and work their way up.

7. david dunn

david dunn New Member

Jun 20, 2003
    france
    happy de heard that from a Manchester fan, so you'll be agree that, the situation is the same for European competitions where french clubs play with diferrents rules.