Do managers matter more in MLS than other leagues?

Discussion in 'MLS: Commissioner - You be The Don' started by mschofield, Mar 7, 2022.

Tags:
  1. mschofield

mschofield Member+

May 16, 2000
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I'm throwing this out there as both a notion and wondering what should be done about it. MLS clubs have, theoretically, equal rosters. it is true that there are gaps in total talent, but they are by choice, as all clubs are working within the same basic roster rules. Because of that, I'd suggest that managers are more important than they are in the Big Five leagues, or in most leagues around the globe. Most leagues might sport a couple top teams, but those teams might be where they are because they have crazy inventive, smart managers, but who knows as those top clubs often have rosters worth the rosters of a dozen lesser clubs in their league. we all know that the rich dominate the big five, but the talent gap is even more lopsided outside of it. Consider Austria, where RB Salzburg is worth 203 mEuro, while the next most valuable club comes in at 37 m euro.
    In MLS, though, managers all have a $4.9m salary cap, $1.6m in GAM, $2.8m in TAM, and the ability to spend as much as they like on three DPs, plus some nibblies around the edges (U-22 stuff, for instance). While there can be quite a gap in DPs,it's only three players, max, and the gap isn't necessarily that great (Johnny Russell, for instance, is about as productive as most DPs, yet he's one of the lower paid DPs).
    So, the if I were the Don big idea: Instead of talking about bringing in the Messi's and CRon's of the world, should we be talking about bringing in the Peps, tuchels, Klopps and etc of the world. Should the MLS focus a chunk of big money on great football minds, and would we learn more about the quality of their tactics against each other in MLS than in any other domestic league?

2. Chesco United

Chesco United Member+

DC United
    Jun 24, 2001
    Chester County, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    It used to be that foreign managers would struggle in MLS. Not the case any more.