do lot of people play soccer in aussie?

Discussion in 'Rugby & Aussie Rules' started by athena20, Jun 24, 2006.

1. Iaco

Iaco Member

Apr 1, 2006
    Melbourne
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia

Only in december and january

and should attract heaps of attention with the ashes

2. athena20

athena20 Red Card

Apr 18, 2006
    AFL? so is rugby then

3. Iaco

Iaco Member

Apr 1, 2006
    Melbourne
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia

Nah rugby is shit.

4. Sydney General

Jul 3, 2006
    Sydney
    No thats AFL.

A point for missing. How stupid. And instead of making it difficult to progress up field all you have to do is boot it down there.

Im not into these pissing contests but these AFL supporters with their constant bashing of the 2 Rugby codes annoys me.

Oh and as for the "superior sportsmen" comment I can remember so sports rag doing tests on the 3 codes and league players came out on top.

Now Ive had my rant

Go The Tigers (NRL) Swannies (AFL) and SYdney FC A-league) You can tell i had a good year last year

5. Iaco

Iaco Member

Apr 1, 2006
    Melbourne
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia

Rugby is a pathetic excuse 4 a sport.

6. OldFanatic

OldFanatic Member

Jan 12, 2004
    Bay Area
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If you mean League, probably yes.

If you mean Union, definitely no.

7. Iaco

Iaco Member

Apr 1, 2006
    Melbourne
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia

Union isnt 2 bad but league is shit , being from melbourne the storm dont even rack up 15,000 a game.

We have came 2 the conclusion The majority sport that is played and enjoyed the most is AFL.

8. what a goal!

what a goal! Red Card

Feb 23, 2006
    Mt Clear
    Rugby is a bad sport. Soccer doesn't get anywhere near as much exposure as it should here in Australia.

9. Iaco

Iaco Member

Apr 1, 2006
    Melbourne
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    But it will 1 day

10. Gold is the Colour

Dec 17, 2005
    Perth Australia
    Club:
    Perth Glory
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    I agree the tackling is different, but my biggest beef with Gridiron is the amount of stoppages. After a tackle they stop and prance around waiting for the "add break". If the ball changes sides, they go off and the "other team" comes on. Personally I'd hate to play it, I can't think of anything more boring than doing one thing all the game, and not being able to attack AND defend myself. Rugby League is getting more like gridiron, in being stop start, and thus more and more boring to me, but with all the eggball codes in Australia, a player who is good at tackling also has to be good at running with the ball, passing, kicking etc, and thus have far more skill than the one dimensional gridiron players, as well as be able to give AND take big hits.

This I don't agree with at all. Even for League. In other codes the players have to be tactically aware themselves during the game, whilst in gridiron they are told what to do before each play - gridiron's coaches may use more tactics in a game, but the players are far behind other codes IMO.

My order of preference would be:

Assoc. Football
    Rugby Union
    Aussie Rules
    Gealic Football
    Rugby League
    Gridiron

11. OldFanatic

OldFanatic Member

Jan 12, 2004
    Bay Area
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hey!!! Are you my alter ego? This is exactly like my liking.

[​IMG]

To this day, I had yet to meet one person who liked things in this order. I either knew Union fans who hated Australian Football or vice versa. Or to make it even worse, fans who loved one of Union/League/Australian codes, but loved the American code too.

12. Yaxley

Yaxley New Member

Jun 5, 2006
    Aussie Rules - Australian Football League AFL - In 2006 they played 176 matches with a total of 6,204,056 people attending the games at an average of 35,250 (3rd highest attended sport in the world on averages) not including the Finals Series, which in 4 matches have drawn crowds of 67,528 & 42,208 & 43,116 & 84,284. These figures are down on last year due to the commonwealth games being held in Victoria over the start of the season and the biggest stadiums in the country being rules out. Teams played games in very small regional areas that otherwise would not get matches in front of some of the smallest crowds in decades.

Rugby League - National Rugby League NRL - In 2005 (they have not updated their statistics) they played 189 matches with 3,276,675 people attending with an average crowd of 17,336 (overall 15th for average attendances in the world) This is including finals crowd figures.

Soccer - A-League - In 2005-06 there were 90 matches including finals which drew 1,046,459 people at an average of 11,627 people per game (which is 26th overall in the world for average attendances)

I think that speaks for itself on the popularity of these sports in Australia. Interesting to note, for all those people who think that Soccer is taking over Aussie Rules is that for that to happen the A-League would have to be the 2nd most attended soccer league in the world, even more popular than the English premier league.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sports_league_attendances

13. el-capitano

el-capitano Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 30, 2005
    Sydney
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Gee we could get complicated here as well. :)

Speaking in professional sports......

In summer- its cricket followed by soccer. No doubting it in ratings, crowds etc.

In winter its Rugby League in NSW & Qld, and AFL in Vic, SA & WA. Rugby Union is a poor third.

However AFL only has its home and away competition as its showpiece, while the NRL (Rugby League) has its yearly comp, as well as International games and the real showpiece, the State of Origin, which is NSW vs Qld.

Rugby Union has big following in its International games, there is good interest in the Super 14 comp, but the state leagues get a crowd of families and pets- ie not many.

If we were talking about participation sports, then soccer would be number one.

I dont know if this cleared anything up of muddied it even further!! :rolleyes:

14. Azzballz the Great

Azzballz the Great New Member

Dec 23, 2006
    Sydney
    Soccer will overtake RL in a couple of decades or so

Aussie rules will continue to grow stronger. There is a lot of room to grow in Queensland and NSW.

15. Gold is the Colour

Dec 17, 2005
    Perth Australia
    Club:
    Perth Glory
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    I think this is a bit misleading, International cricket games would beat the A-League (but would they beat the socceroos against serious opposition?), domestic cricket games are way behind football/ soccer though.

I think Union is more popular than League outside of NSW and QLD (30,000 members for Wesern Force) but really you could combine them with League being local and Union being provincial (S14) and international. Either way Football is catching up. It still has a long way to go to reach the AFL though.

True and by a VERY big margin, and it is still the fastest growing.

Don't worry, just the same as most posts in BigSoccer:D