Do England Home Games ever have empty seats?

Discussion in 'England' started by ironduke2010, Feb 6, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ironduke2010

ironduke2010 Member

Mar 18, 2005
    A2, MI USA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    do seats ever go unsold when england play at home? even if it's, say, a friendly against andorra or san marino or something?

apparantly in the usa, where footie is not king, people don't buy tickets for friendlies against countries they don't care about: https://www.bigsoccer.com/forum/showthread.php?t=468103

just wondering if that big new stadium of yours would ever be considered too big....

2. Prenn

Prenn Member

Apr 14, 2000
    Ireland
    Club:
    Bolton Wanderers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Wembley was consistently undersold for midweek friendlies in the latter years of it's existence.

The new Wembley will go that way in a few years as the cockneys tire of the novelty.

Peas in a drum.

3. Placid Casual

Placid Casual Member+

Apr 2, 2004
    Bentley's Roof
    There will be plenty of empty seats against Spain.

And plenty of empty seats whilst 10th choice Steve is in charge.

4. Prenn

Prenn Member

Apr 14, 2000
    Ireland
    Club:
    Bolton Wanderers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Yeah, playing lots of games in one location tends to hit the attendances. That and I wouldn't pay to watch and England game with McSven in charge unless he was going to be fed to lions at half time.

5. ironduke2010

ironduke2010 Member

Mar 18, 2005
    A2, MI USA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    good to see we aren't the only ones whos attendance is affected by whos in charge and whos on the other side.

6. Pigs

Pigs Member

Everton FC
    England
    Mar 31, 2001
    Everywhere and nowhere
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    the best thing the FA could have done would be to keep moving the england games around the country. It would be sold out every time. The new wembley is great, but it's in gay london. Which is not the home of football, home of football is the Northwest of england. Goodison Park to be precise.

7. leg_breaker

leg_breaker Member

Dec 23, 2005
    After the novelty wears off it'll be half-empty for many games.

8. M

M Member+

Feb 18, 2000
    Via Ventisette
    That said, I don't think there's another European country that averages so much for home friendlies as England does. Whether that continues to be the case with the current incumbent remains to be seen.

Additionally, England is getting consistently good crowds for the U21 games. However, these have been spread around club grounds a bit more.

9. afowler2988

afowler2988 New Member

Jan 27, 2007
    Columbia, SC
    Oh man those England U-21 guys.....they could use them on the England squad. Cant wait to see the likes of Milner and Huntington just like at Newcastsle. I really wish I could afford to fly over to England and just watch a match, but I dont know if itd be worth it. I might have to lie to myself and say that the experience was worth it, not the outcome of the game..lol.

10. england66

england66 Member+

Jan 6, 2004
    dallas, texas
    There is always at least one empty seat....the one Stuart Pearce never sits in.

11. Mad2Ad

Mad2Ad Member

Jul 28, 2005
    Leicester, Uk
    Theres never a seat empty for competitive matches when england play there usually isnt enough seats.

In friendlies aswell we usually get over 90% full which is unusual for international friendlies. Also i think the main reason we dont fill at friendlies is becasue the fa charge alot for tickets. way to much for a friendly.]

just because attendences in one place usually old trafford does mean attendences drop compared to playing at goodison or anfield or st james park because they dont have a big enough stadium.

IE
    at old trafford we will see over 60,000 sumat thousand i reckon for the spain game tonight but if we were at anfield it would be full but the attendence would drop by 20,000. playing all your matches in one place doesn't eefect england enough to keep swapping were you play maybe rotating between emirates and old trafford but any were else your gunna lose attendences as the stadiums are not big enough.

for wembley though i think well be too small for competitive matches and too big for friendlies.

12. lanman

lanman BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 30, 2002
    I agree that freindlies at least should be spread around the country, but the FA have to pay for Wembley and have committed all of their games to it. The corporate revenue will be higher there than anywhere else.

13. Colm

Colm Member

Aug 17, 2004
    UK
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    There wont be 76,000 fans there tonight, be quite a lot of empty seats I reckon.

14. Captain Grimes

Captain Grimes New Member

Feb 14, 2006
    Llanabba Castle
    watched the game. a lot of empty seats all around.

15. Colm

Colm Member

Aug 17, 2004
    UK
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    18,000 empty seats tonight

only just over 58,000

16. Captain Grimes

Captain Grimes New Member

Feb 14, 2006
    Llanabba Castle
    i feel terrible for the 58000 who went to the game. england again disappoints their supporters.

remember the days when an england home game meant a victory? :(

17. dvandyke

dvandyke Member

Dec 15, 2005
    I think you got home of football mixed up with home of thieving little bastards on benefits. Goodison Park is an absolute shithole as is the rest of the north. It an embarrassment when foreign fans come to visit.

18. Rig1964

Rig1964 Member

Apr 11, 2006
    Nottingham
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Can't really comment about Goodison because I've never been, but that's one hell of a narrow minded generalisation about the north.
    What exactly do you mean by the north anyway?
    Where are you from?

19. GranCanMan

GranCanMan Member

Jan 12, 2007
    Manchester
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Vaguely. The management appointments just recently have stunk of easy-way-out beurocracy. Steve McCalren is an FA finger puppet who is not ready for international football.If he fials to get us to Euro 2008, he will, somehow, be remembered as worse than Eriksson.......... :mad:

20. Alan_V

Alan_V Member

Apr 22, 2003
    Anaheim, CA via NJ
    Club:
    Blackburn Rovers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    FSC showed the Brazil/Portugal game from the Emirates this weekend. They didn't pan around too much but I didn't see many seats empty.

21. RichardL

RichardL BigSoccer Supporter

May 2, 2001
    Berkshire
    Club:
    Reading FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    a huge generalisation about the north as a whole, but if he means the streets immediately around Goodison (& Anfield), well......

Let's just say it's not an area that you'd want to linger in. The area around Maine Road in Moss Side was like a leafy Torquay suburb in comparison.

22. Rig1964

Rig1964 Member

Apr 11, 2006
    Nottingham
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    If you made that kind of comment based on an ethnic group you'd be kicked off the forum. Why is it OK to say that about people from a particular area?
    Ironically the only person from Merseyside who I know really well, my brother in law, is a high flying lawyer with the CPS.

23. Mad2Ad

Mad2Ad Member

Jul 28, 2005
    Leicester, Uk
    this is probably because a lot of enlish people went to the game aswell as portugal and brazilian fans. allthough i wouldn't have thought it to get more then the england game.

24. dvandyke

dvandyke Member

Dec 15, 2005
    No shortage of work for him then. :)

25. Rig1964

Rig1964 Member

Apr 11, 2006
    Nottingham
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England