DMB to Amid?!

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by NoSix, Oct 12, 2003.

1. NoSix

NoSix Member+

Feb 18, 2002
    Phoenix
    DMB to A-mid?!

http://www.mlsnet.com/games/03/tracker.php?gamename=10102003_CLBCHI&version=recap

"Chicago coach Dave Sarachan put out his team in a 3-5-2, with DaMarcus Beasley pulling the strings in midfield behind Razov and Jaqua..."

Think of the possibilities:

-----------Friedel---------
    ----Gibbs---Pope----Boca
    -------Reyna---O'Brien----
    Dolo-----------------Lewis
    ------------DMB----------
    -----Donovan---McBride---

To heck with the Concacaf minnows, bring on Mexico and Costa Rica!

2. Wolves_67

Wolves_67 Member

Oct 27, 2002
    Pasadena, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hee hee.. When I first read the thread title I was straining my brain to figure out where in the Middle East the team name Amid played. :)
    I was shocked DMB would go there just for the money!!
    I didn't get much rest 'cause of the early start to the WWC.
    I'd have to see a couple of matches with him at that position first. I still favor him on the wing at this point.
    Having him in the middle, however, would have the benifit that he would have an easier time covering both sides in his great back tracking on defense.

3. NoSix

NoSix Member+

Feb 18, 2002
    Phoenix
    Edited for clarity!

Yeah, no kidding. By the time I turned the TV on to look for it, the game was already over. Of course, had I watched, it probably would have ended 6-0...

I'm thinking it might require him to use every facet of his game, and help him grow into a better all-around player. He's better at quick one touch passes than crossing, anyway, IMO. I also like that it gets DMB and Lewis on the field at the same time.

4. Wolves_67

Wolves_67 Member

Oct 27, 2002
    Pasadena, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Valid points. It's surely worth a try. If we ever schedule another friendly!! :)

5. sch2383

sch2383 New Member

Feb 14, 2003
    Northern Virginia
    I agree...if this was done, it would be a way to get our best players on the field at the same time. That said, I really don't see it happening unless it is forced on us bmy injuries.

6. SABuffalo786

SABuffalo786 New Member

May 18, 2002
    Buffalo, New York
    DMB is the next Thierry Henry.

7. roarksown1

roarksown1 Member

Mar 30, 2001
    Playa del Rey, CA
    Club:
    Hamburger SV
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think that most people that are crazy about DMB only really watch the highlight shows. He's a great up-and-coming player with real upside, but he's no creator and he's no special dribbler. He relies on his speed because he can. I don't think that he would be able to handle the pressure from an international, world-class D-mid or CB. Hopefully he will develop in this capacity in the future, be it with Chicago or a European side, but for now, it's really not an option in my opinion.

8. Fah Que

Fah Que Member

Sep 29, 2000
    LA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    We won't make it in central role. If he plays wide he only has one man to beat most of the time. In central people converge on you. It takes someone like Kyle Martino with extra 50 lbs of muscle to play that position.

9. Greddy

Greddy Member

Jun 24, 2003
    Chicago
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm guessing none of you saw fridays Fire game. DMB played Amid, and did so exceptionally. I think it's a more natural position for him. He had a huge impact on the flow and direction of the game. His talent is being wasted on the wings. They put him there because of his speed but it is clearly not his best position. It got to the point where many Fire fans where calling for him to be benched, but once he got back to being a forward midfielder, he reminded us all why he is a star.

10. Fah Que

Fah Que Member

Sep 29, 2000
    LA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I wouldn't develop my career playing behind the front two. Not too many teams play that position at all. His opportunities will be limited. He seems natural to you because his most natural position is actually forward. At least that's what I think after watching him in U17 and U21. Instead of banging against bodies 50 pounds heavier and 8 inches taller, he is protected by the front two.

Beasley played well on the wing before the confederation cup. He also played forward. If he maintained his form, he would have been fine.

11. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    I am all for experimenting, but I would guess DMB's close control is not good enough.That is a position where you can't really rely on speed because you have players all around you coming in for the tackle. Landon and Reyna have that very close control to play that spot. STILL, I never mind an experiment.

12. Agogwe

Agogwe Member

Sep 12, 2003
    Ann Arbor, MI
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think you still have to keep him on the outside, his speed down the line is the best thing going for him right now. Besides, I think his ball control is still lacking a bit. In the future, maybe, but not now, and not for the next few years.

13. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    From what I've seen, he lacks the technique for this. He'd be alright, but a) he's better out wide and b) we have better options for the middle.
    OK, but think about it for a second.

He's not going to "develop his career" in the small handful of games he plays for the Nats.

14. afgrijselijkheid

Dec 29, 2002
    mokum
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    nice thought, bad idea - this move would take away all the things that make him stand out and his crossing will improve IMO

JOB or martino are the best choices for the future

15. harttbeat

harttbeat Member

Dec 29, 1998
    New York
    yeah, no doubt. I really think Arsenal can be so much better if they go after DMB during the transfer window. It would give them alot more depth. I say it b4, if you have Cole, Beasley and Henry in one side of the field, there's no team in the world that could stop them.

F Pires! :)

16. flanoverseas

flanoverseas New Member

Mar 2, 2002
    Xandria
    Unfortunately, one is perpetually injured, and the other has the body of an anemic twig.

Here's the all-fragile team.

(no one in goal, since everyone knows our GKs are invincible down to 11th string)

Sanneh - Pope - Vanney
    Reyna - Job
    Martino - DMB (missed 1/2 the WC after falling down)
    McBride - Buddle??

Since it is an all-fragile team, the 11th was hurt before the game even started.

17. SABuffalo786

SABuffalo786 New Member

May 18, 2002
    Buffalo, New York

Well not even that. (Although, a left side of Henry, Pires and Beasely would be amazing. Jesus, talk about speed killing!) They're just so similar. Henry started out on the left wing in his early career, and DMB is at his best as a winger/foward. Plus, they're both great all-around players. DMB can finish, create, run at defenders, whatever. He's even more verstaile then Henry, because Damarcus can play anywhere in the outfield.

18. afgrijselijkheid

Dec 29, 2002
    mokum
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    DMB over pires.... hmmmmm - well i know who not ask for football analysis

19. flanoverseas

flanoverseas New Member

Mar 2, 2002
    Xandria
    You're officially on crack for continuing this line of comparison.

DMB doesn't come close to Henry in any aspect of the game, be it skill wise or physicallyl, except maybe speed. He's probably as fast, but that's it.

According to you, we have a player who is more versatile than arguably the best forward in the world. Why didn't you find that ridiculous before writing it is anybody's guess.

20. juventino3

juventino3 Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Alexandria, VA
    My sentiments exactly. Some people on these boards need to get some perspective. Henry is arguably the best player in football period. Beasley is a great young player, but mentioning his name in the same breath as Henry is ridiculous.

21. SABuffalo786

SABuffalo786 New Member

May 18, 2002
    Buffalo, New York

Can Henry play defense? Hm? Yeah, that's what I thought.

Isn't versatility being able to do more than one thing?

How many positions can Henry play? Wing and foward. DMB can play anywhere.

Geez, relax. You're acting like I said DMB is better than Henry.

22. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Beasley at AMid

To return to the subject at hand ... I was at Friday's game and wondering "Where the heck is Beasley playing, he's all over the place."

Now I know.

He looked pretty good. He positions himself well and uses his speed at opportune times to break down the defenses. His passing is good rather than great but since he didn't cross as a wing it's not like you've lost a passing option moving the guy to the inside.

I'd say, an experiment worth continuing.

23. harttbeat

harttbeat Member

Dec 29, 1998
    New York
    I never say DMB over pires. Just like SABuffalo say, relax old fools. I just think Arsenal needs alot more depth in their squad. It showed at the end of last year EPL campaign the lack of depth hurted Arsenal championship run. Having Cole, DMB and Henry in one side of the field was just something i threw out. DMB is a good player but not the flair/overall skill of Henry nor the passing and shooting of Pires. gee, i say it... ya really gotta relax and stop acting like the French.

24. jamison

jamison Member

Sep 25, 2000
    NYC
    I think this versatility arguement is retarded.

Why can't Henry play defense? He's tall, fast, and has excellent ball skills. Of course, he doesn't play defence because he is one of the best strikers in the world. I think if DMB was one of the best strikers in the world, you wouldn't bring up his defensive ability/versatility either.

The one knock on Henry would be that he is a bit thin for a defender, but he's still twice as thick as Beasley, a lot more physical and spends the entire game getting bumped, kicked and muscled by the likes of Hyppia. He doesn't have any reason to play defense, so he doesn't. Why is that so difficult to understand?

If you watch him play for Arsenal or France, he plays at the top of the attack, always looking to counter. You can aruge that DMB gets more chances to defend during a game, but that's because he is a winger not a target forward. And, while on the attack, Henry routinely steals balls or causes turnovers from the opposing team, denying them a chance to break out and getting posession back for his team.

Including goalkeeper, I can't think of one spot on the pitch where I would take DMB over Henry, nor do I see why you are holding DMB's versatility up as some sort of trophy to lord over the likes of Henry.

If you have Michael Jordan, you don't play him at center.

25. flanoverseas

flanoverseas New Member

Mar 2, 2002
    Xandria
    I'm not sure what this "hm? That's what I thought" is supposed to mean, but I definitely feel like I'm in the 7th grade again.

I guess you told me. :rolleyes: