DMB and JOB on Arena's list according to Bigapplesoccer.com!

Discussion in 'New York Red Bulls' started by ag nigrin, Jan 30, 2007.

1. Roehl Sybing

Roehl Sybing Guest

To O'Brien, it does. He gets a contract. He gets paid. Of course it makes sense to him.

What about to the team?

2. ag nigrin

ag nigrin Member

Mar 4, 2002
    NJ, USA
    Perhaps DMB coming back to MLS is an absurd rumor.... but three important issues may counter the absurdity... A) Man City will have a new coach soon as Pierce has agreed to take on the England U21 coaching job and who knows what the new coach may think of DeMarcus... B) DMB is good friends with Landycakes and remember what LD did after playing in Germany for a couple of stints. C) Arena and DMB are still close...remember who put him on the World Stage back in 2002...IL Bruce!!!

So I wouldn't be so sure this rumor is as absurd as some of you may think...

3. Rooney20

Rooney20 Member+

Jan 8, 2007
    New York
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Who ever is coming will benifit the team in a great way....Bruce is very smart at spottiing talent...so he will put together a goodteam that will give themselves the best chance at winning a cup or two.

4. Thomas A Fina

Thomas A Fina Member

Mar 29, 1999
    Hell
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would figure that anyone would give hium a contract laden with incentives rather than any sort of money up front.

and at this point, I'm pretty sure that's all he's going to get, so he'll have to take it.

5. FrankB

FrankB New Member

Jan 10, 2007
    NJ
    I for one would like to see these moves- I think JOB has nothing but upside, if he can stay healthy he would be one of the top 5 midfielders in the league. He is tech very gifted, he adds alot to the team. I think its one of those low risk high reward type of gambles, I hope it happens, I think we will trade very little for his rights, and he could add more to the squad then many big name signings, I say make it happen.

6. Beech

Beech Member

Jul 26, 2001
    Kansas City
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Jeez...

Reyna
    JOB
    Beasley

Man you guys would be lucky if you even got a single players worth of minutes this season out of those three combined.

You've got a gamble with Reyna's fulfillment to begin with. JOB is a huge gamble but with a rather large upside. With Beasley you get a peak/prime player but is so undersized that he will be beaten and hacked into an injury or two a season regardless. The guy is a grown man at 125 pounds playing in somewhat of a defensive hacker league if he came over. I would hope Arena would let go a little bit of trying to reassemble his 2002 WC squad and look forward. Who's next, Mathis?

7. Toad_of_Toad_Hall

Toad_of_Toad_Hall New Member

Apr 17, 2006
    A state of confusion
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Welcome FrankB :)

Is it just me, or is your entire post hopelessly optimistic? If it happens, I hope you're right about him making an impact.
    I can see JOB playing (part of) two or three games tops, before another injury; then struggling for fitness in the reserves for the rest of the season.
    We don't need that, whatever the price.

8. phillips10

phillips10 New Member

Oct 15, 2001
    Cranford
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    yes but if the price is a conditional draft pick then under your scenario we would likely give chivas nothing.

9. Toad_of_Toad_Hall

Toad_of_Toad_Hall New Member

Apr 17, 2006
    A state of confusion
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So that would be nothing for ... erm ... nothing ;)

10. phillips10

phillips10 New Member

Oct 15, 2001
    Cranford
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    exactly, thats why its no-risk and you do it as a shot in the dark.

11. gwebster

gwebster New Member

Aug 30, 2002
    Bethany, CT
    You still need to consider whatever he would cost against our salary cap. If it's not much, then not much risk. If it's max salary (as a player of JOB's ability deserves), then it's a big risk.

12. GUYJ

GUYJ Member

Mar 6, 2000
    Lincoln Park, NJ
    I can't believe Beasley is still listed at 126lbs! Does he eat? Amazing he can play at that level with such little meat on his bones.

13. Metrosuccess

Metrosuccess Member

Jan 6, 2000
    NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Can't we get a fitness and strength/nutrition guru to work with guy? He must be on the Eddie Gaven workout/diet program in the off seasons.

14. cwt9

cwt9 New Member

Jul 27, 2005
    DP players have to be able to --by themselves -- elevate MLS to the next level by a.) selling more tickets b.) getting free media coverage c.) increasing TV ratings d.) motivating kids to choose soccer over other sports e.) sell jerseys (in far away places like Asia) and f.) win MLS championships.

In my book, you need 4 out of the 6 criteria listed above to be worth a DP slot.

15. tfoisie

tfoisie New Member

Nov 9, 2004

I agree with this although I would take 3 out of 6 if the DP can help the Red Bulls win MLS championship/s!

16. chimac4u

chimac4u Red Card

Aug 9, 2006
    As a Fire fan, trust me, Beasley would be a great addition for the team. However, it would not be good for his career.

What is JOB's status? Is Chivas trying to trade him or is this all pure speculation?

Also, I know JOB can play multiple spots in the midfield, but where is he best suited/worst suited?

17. j1mbr0wn

j1mbr0wn Member

Jun 3, 2005
    Newark, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wow! How come nobody else posted this? Why is this the first I'm hearing of this? THANK YOU for posting this new, original thought. Would you accept a word of encouragement in return? Perhaps you can use your innovation and creative mind to solve a problem I have. It seems my bread comes in these loaves, and I only want a small piece...

18. ag nigrin

ag nigrin Member

Mar 4, 2002
    NJ, USA
    From Soccer America email:

MLS: No Beaz for Bulls

Rumors of DaMarcus Beasley returning to MLS aren't true, says his agent, Lyle Yorks of Proactive Sports Management.

"DaMarcus Beasley is very happy at Manchester City in the English Premier League and is not sure where all the rumors started saying that DaMarcus was in talks regarding a move to New York Red Bulls," says Yorks. "All the rumors are simply not true!"

Last week, Red Bulls coach Bruce Arena hinted the team would soon announce the signing of a goalscorer. That description doesn't fit Beasley, who is on loan to Manchester City from Dutch club PSV Eindhoven, even though he did score last weekend in City's 3-1 FA Cup thrashing of Southampton.

The description could fit Ecuadoran striker Augustin Delgado, whose contract with LDU Quito was terminated in December. He's been linked with Red Bull for the past month or so, but he's currently under suspension by the national soccer federation for his role in a post-match melee. He's also been questioned by authorities after allegedly punching and kicking a man at a New Year's Eve party.

Delgado, 32, scored two goals for Ecuador at the World Cup last summer. Intervention by FIFA would be required for Delgado to join MLS. A player suspended by his national soccer federation cannot be transferred.

19. j1mbr0wn

j1mbr0wn Member

Jun 3, 2005
    Newark, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How nice of them to say so, after starting the rumor themselves.