Djordje Mihailovic at AZ Alkmaar

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by DirectK, Feb 28, 2019.

1. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    I don't agree.

Some teams like to play a new arrival right away so they can see what they have and what needs to get worked on. It has nothing to do with the player's expected quality that they are on the bench the very next game. Everything is on schedule. You are jumping the gun. Get back in the starting blocks.

2. comoesa

comoesa Member+

Aug 13, 2010
    Christen Press's armpit
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wow it's just been a few games and he had a good debut. He joined a potential Champions league team in the middle of their season. They are going to prioritize winning. Anyway, they did pay a decent penny for him so he will get his chances.

3. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Pl@ymaker repped this.
  4. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Looks like an early sub in:

AZ
    @AzAlkmaar

31. Mihailovic is getting ready for a substitution, because Dani de Wit asks for a substitution due to an injury.

#azfor 2-1

edcrocker, adam tash and Winoman repped this.
  5. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  6. schrutebuck

schrutebuck Member+

Jul 26, 2007
    AZ Alkmaar win 3-1. Mihailovic played the final 56 minutes.

7. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    our friend FeyenoordFan won't want to hear this, but Az are putting up a legit case to win the Ered. It's really anyone's league RN, tho it's still Feynie's to lose. Ajax really hurting themselves with a string of ties. AZ end the year playing PSV, I think I recall. Which could be a big game if the top 4 or 5 stay bunched like this. Good for Mihailovic to get serious minutes already. I expended my footie watching on Leeds today so didn't see this one.

8. kruck

kruck Member+

Jan 12, 2008
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    I watched the first half of Leeds - huge mistake. Super boring.

freisland repped this.
  9. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    Yeah - final 10 or so was fun tho if you like that kind of holding on for dear life with some good counter opportunities thing. Doesn't look like AZ highlights are up yet. I'll link them when I find.

Here's De Witt's injury and our guy in action pulling of the pinnie with authority, fwiw.

Pl@ymaker repped this.
  10. Oh, you're naming what I've been saying already, AZ is the main contender to Feyenoord. I already questioned pundits remarks last week that if Ajax had lost today's confrontation with Feyenoord, they would only have left the fight with PSV for either spot 2 or 3. I was like, hellooo, AZ is playing better than those two and no coincidence that they play a similar style like Feyenoord (given they didnot change their way of play since Slot left for Feyenoord) and are on Feyenoord's tail with only two points behind.
    If Michailovic blends in well in the style AZ plays and becomes very good, he without a hitch could swap into the Feyenoord team, as he already knows the drills of the team.

aeschylusdanceparty and freisland repped this.
  11. butters59

butters59 Member+

Feb 22, 2013
    Do you think that in the remaining 17 games Ajax won't be able to recover 3 points?

12. 5 points, but the opposition is strong atm. On top of that Ajax plays rather erratic quality wise, the last few months, but have a relative easy run of matches coming up..
    In the next few/4 weeks Feyenoord has PSV and AZ at home and FC Twente away, the current top 2, 3 and 4 teams..

13. butters59

butters59 Member+

Feb 22, 2013
    I meant second place.

14. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    Not if they tie the next 17... they've had a bad string of results for Ajax. tying Feynie and Twente (with an RC to boot) is not the end of the world, but Emmen, this-year's Vitesse and even NEC are teams you have to beat to hope to win the Ered, or even grab 2nd. They certain *could* go on a tear and land in 2nd, but they'll need a bit of help as well. They have Twente away and AZ home in May. AZ has been excellent on the road so far, however. Could be a fun spring.

15. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
  16. glutton4Bolts

glutton4Bolts Member+

United States
    Mar 18, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nice strike there on the volley at the end for Djordje. de Witt's injury should mean more playing time but AZ might really miss de Witt. Seems like he is a beast. Hopefully Djordje can come close to scoring in every 3rd match.

Pl@ymaker repped this.
  17. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    Haven't seen any updates on the extent of de Wit's knock yet.

Pl@ymaker repped this.
  18. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Interview (paywalled):

https://www.vi.nl/pro/az-nieuweling-djordje-mihailovic-de-eerste-weken-waren-een-shock

From someone who read:

USMNT Otaku
    @USMNTOtaku

Djordje Mihailovic on the difference between Eredivisie and MLS:

"Everyday here is intense. Each day you have to work as hard as you can and perfectly possible. Honestly the first few weeks were a shock. The pressure to get the best out of yourself and each other the…

… intensity and level of training, the switch to a new life in an unfamiliar environment: the transition was more drastic than expected. But now I feel more at home everyday."

19. CyphaPSU

CyphaPSU Member+

Mar 16, 2003
    Not Far
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Intensity is a common theme of difference for former MLS players when interviewed after playing some time in Europe. How can it be addressed in MLS without the media/cultural pressure that is baked into the cake in other countries?

20. Casper

Casper Member+

Mar 30, 2001
    New York
    Ramp up the intensity. Mihailovic starts against Go Ahead Eagles today. ESPN+ in the states.

21. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Team depth would be another lever. But it would be super expensive for MLS clubs to pay the MLS premium needed to get higher level players to sit on the bench.

Spreading the DP money around would also help shore up depth, but that means you lose a lot of top players.

It's difficult to replicate the almost infinite supply of cheap EU/EEA talent that keeps pressure through the roster.

CyphaPSU and theboogeyman repped this.
  22. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    No Dani (just a fake name-alike who confused me for a moment) on the bench. I'll see what the injury report it.

"Foot injury" and out for the "the next few weeks" - AZ have a pretty tight league and cup schedule in Feb. If Djordie shows well he could get a load of minutes. And if he can help keep them in the battle for 1st, he will bank a lot of good will.

23. ChambersWI

ChambersWI Member+

Nov 10, 2010
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Honestly just have to keep building up the league via the academies and better scouting recruiting for transfers. While MLS is improving at a good rate a lot of teams still lack depths a talented player like Djordje would be given more of a leash to work through struggles. At the same time if you don't bring it in training there's more players close enough in talent to get a chance.

I see a lot of twitter accounts making it a pro/rel argument but I don't think it's all that. There's a lot more expectation especially going to a team in AZ that has qualified for Europewn competition 10 years straight and is fighting for a league title.

But FWIW this is a constant for stepping up in competitions even if just going to a better team/league

24. theboogeyman

theboogeyman Member+

Jun 21, 2010
    I think the two go hand in hand for the most part. I’m sure the NBA is more competitive than the best leagues in other countries. That’s partly cultural, but largely because it’s got the most money and the best players fighting for spots. If you don’t have a lot of media attention and fan support, you’re not going to have the money and depth of talent to spark the competition.

as more domestic talent gets produced and more money gets spent on depth players, the quality of competition will improve.

BostonRed repped this.
  25. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Colorado Rapids, Celtic FC, & Louisville City
    Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Scores his 1st Eredivisie goal to put AZ up 2-0. He dove really, really low to score a diving header on a far post run, unmarked, after a superb cross from the right corner flag. Easy goal. Nice run. Nice finish.