Division III

Discussion in 'College & Amateur Soccer' started by Rocksteady, Jul 31, 2002.

1. Flying Weasel

Flying Weasel Member

Mar 22, 2001
    Harrisburg, PA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oct. 14 D-III Rankings

NSCAA/adidas Rankings
    Division III Men's Soccer
    October 14, 2002

Rank School . W-L-T . /Prev./
    1 Trinity University (Texas) . 10-0-1 . /3/
    2 Virginia Wesleyan College . 13-0-0 . /2/
    3 Gettysburg College (Pa.) . 10-0-2 . /6/
    4 Rowan University (N.J.) . 10-1-2 . /1/
    5 Gustavus Adolphus College (Minn.) . 9-1-1 . /8/
    6 College of Wooster (Ohio) . 12-0-2 . /10/
    6 Wheaton College (Mass.) . 11-2-0 . /14/
    8 Plattsburgh State University (N.Y.) . 12-1-0 . /12/
    9 Messiah College (Pa.) . 11-1-0 . /9/
    10 Centre College (Ky.) . 11-1-0 . /13/
    10 Salisbury University (Md.) . 9-1-1 . /11/
    12 Bowdoin College (Maine) . 7-2-0 . /7/
    13 Luther College (Iowa) . 11-1-0 . /19/
    14 Richard Stockton (N.J.) . 9-4-0 . /16/
    15 Hamilton College (N.Y.) . 7-1-1 . /24/
    16 DePauw University (Ind.) . 8-2-1 . /--/
    17 Otterbein College (Ohio) . 11-2-0 . /5/
    18 Drew University (N.J.) . 10-1-1 . /18/
    19 Williams College (Mass.) . 7-2-0 . /--/
    20 Roanoke College (Va.) . 11-3-0 . /20/
    21 King's Point (N.Y.) . 12-2-0 . /23/
    22 St. Lawrence University (N.Y.) . 6-1-2 . /4/
    23 Linfield College (Ore.) . 10-0-1 . /--/
    24 University of Chicago . 8-3-0 . /--/
    25 Arcadia University (Pa.) . 13-2-0 . /25/

Also receiving votes: Hope College (Mich.), Wesleyan University (Conn.), University of Redlands(Calif.), Greensboro College (N.C.)

D3Soccer Website - http://www.d3soccer.net/
    D3Soccer Message Board - http://pub11.ezboard.com/fd3soccerd3soccer
    Messiah Video Highlights - http://scenic_routes.tripod.com/messiah/index.htm

2. Flying Weasel

Flying Weasel Member

Mar 22, 2001
    Harrisburg, PA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    New Rankings more farcical then ever!

Well, undefeated Trinity went to the top with their win over then-#1 Rowan on the weekend. Undefeated Virginia Wesleyan holds at #2, and with the other losses in the Top 5, undefeated Gettysburg unsurprisingly is slides up to #3.

Now here's the joke of the rankings. Rowan only drops to #4. Now I could see this is they only lost to Trinity and the game was close. But they tied Southwestern 0-0, lost big-time to Trinity 4-0, and don't forget they tied Montclair State 0-0 the previous week (tho' still moved up to #1). They have been shutout 3 straight matches and are scoreless in the past 325 minutes of action. #4 in the nation!?! What a good laugh!!!

I can see them staying #1 in the Metro with Stockton having 4 losses, King's Point playing a weaker schedule, and the other teams (TCNJ, Kean, etc.) also losing this week. But #4 in the nation!?! The ranking committee has really outdone themselves this time! Could their favoritism be made any more obvious than this? What a farce!

3. petkedude

petkedude New Member

May 3, 2002
    NJ & Camp Lejeune,NC
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Damn us panthers not even ranked in the top 25 by votes. but as a player we will be next year. i guarentee it

4. Easybake15

Easybake15 New Member

Jul 11, 2001
    Buffalo, NY
    Hey all, have not posted in a while. Since my unfortunate dismissal from the Williams squad, I've been busy picking up rugby, though keeping up with the soccer action.

http://www.williams.edu/News/sportsinfo/data/men_soccer/2002/20021016-003-05cbc.html

Yikes. Things have been going poorly in Williamstown. We've got injuries, we've got suspensions, we've got discord. Basically, the result today was acceptable, but the manner it was achieved was not. My buddy Sean was on the bench, and he indicated that while there were moments of solid play, the team was just not clicking, and aside from the weekend spanking of Middlebury, that's the way it's been. The talent level has dropped sufficiently this season to ensure that the squad has to come to play hard every game, and that's quite frankly something new after the past few seasons. We'll see how this progresses this weekend...

5. Rocksteady

Rocksteady New Member

Jun 3, 2002
    Washington
    Williams and the NESCAC

Interesting observations, Easybake. Did the discord come before the first loss or did it set in when mortality was on the doorstep. I ask only because i am keenly aware that chemistry is essential to team success, and Williams always seemed to have plenty.

I wouldn't write Williams off for the conference tournament. They are very likely to have one of the top three seeds (though Bowdoin will have the top seed unless they gift it back in their final three season games). Anything can happen in a tournment, but usually what happens is what the odds say will happen. I figure the odds will follow the best blend of experience and talent. I think that while Williams no longer dominates in talent, they really don't yield to anyone in that department either. But where Williams has an edge on Bowdoin is in experience. Bowdoin may have stolen a page from the William's recruiting manual in pulling in D1 type recruits (not only Russo, but Crowley, Waters, Fisher, Roth and Galloway all could have played D1 somewhere), but they are freshmen and Bowdoin has surrendered leads in both of their losses this year. They haven't played a conference tournament and it will be a real test for them. If they pass it, the following three years will find Bowdoin at or near the top of the region.

6. Petkedude... What is happenning at Middlebury? We used to be good. You aren't little Soden are you (from NJ)?

7. thurd

thurd New Member

Jul 31, 2001
    Melrose, MA
    Re: Williams and the NESCAC

i know russo is good but from what i hear from my friends who played club against him he is nothing to get too worked up about. he played for a ridiculous high school who everyone knew about before he got there. if he is so good, hed be at a D1 school right now on a full scholarship

8. Rocksteady

Rocksteady New Member

Jun 3, 2002
    Washington
    Russo

I'm not saying that the kid is the top talent in the country, but you have to give a kid props for finishing that often. Alex Blake of Williams gets a lot of attention as a talent even though he is D3, and Russo's freshmen are comparable without having the same sort of experienced support around him that Blake had.

As for the D1 comment, not everyone will play D1 just because they can. There isn't much $ in pro soccer, so a lot of guys figure that they need an education, and if they are going to play too they want to play right away and have time to study. Bowdoin may have put a financial package together for Russo so that he could make the decision without regard to a soccer ride.

9. Flying Weasel

Flying Weasel Member

Mar 22, 2001
    Harrisburg, PA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oct. 21 D-III Rankings

NSCAA/adidas Rankings
    Division III Men's Soccer
    October 21, 2002

Rank School . W-L-T . / Prev./
    1 Trinity University (Texas) . 12-0-1 . / 1/
    2 Virginia Wesleyan College . 14-0-1 . / 2/
    3 Gettysburg College (Pa.) . 11-0-2 . / 3/
    4 Rowan University (N.J.) . 11-1-2 . / 4/
    5 College of Wooster (Ohio) . 13-0-2 . / 6/
    6 Wheaton College (Mass.) . 13-2-0 . / 6/
    7 Luther College (Iowa) . 12-1-0 . / 13/
    8 Hamilton College (N.Y.) . 8-1-1 . / 15/
    9 Messiah College (Pa.) . 12-1-1 . / 9/
    10 Centre College (Ky.) . 12-1-1 . / 10/
    11 Bowdoin College (Maine) . 9-2-1 . / 12/
    12 University of Redlands (Calif.) . 12-1-1 . / --/
    12 Richard Stockton College (N.J.) . 10-4-0 . / 14/
    14 Otterbein College (Ohio) . 13-0-2 . / 17/
    15 Salisbury University (Md.) . 10-2-1 . / 10/
    16 SUNY-Brockport . 13-2-0 . / --/
    17 Drew University (N.J.) . 13-1-1 . / 18/
    18 Williams College (Mass.) . 9-2-0 . / 19/
    19 Roanoke College (Va.) . 12-3-1 . / 20/
    20 DePauw University (Ind.) . 9-3-1 . / 16/
    21 Wheaton College (Ill.) . 9-3-2 . / --/
    22 St. Lawrence University (N.Y.) . 7-1-3 . / 22/
    23 King's Point (N.Y.) . 14-2-0 . / 21/
    24 Linfield College (Ore.) . 12-0-1 . / 23/
    25 Ohio Wesleyan University . 12-2-1 . / --/

Also receiving votes: Mary Washington (Va.), Arcadia (Pa.), Gustavus Adolphus (Minn.)

10. Flying Weasel

Flying Weasel Member

Mar 22, 2001
    Harrisburg, PA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Remaining Undefeated D-III Teams

The Undefeated
    (updated 10/21/02)

7 remain undefeated, 2 of which are undefeated and untied and unranked nationally.

In Top 25
    #1 Trinity (TX) 12-0-1 (#1 Central)
    #2 Virginia Wesleyan 14-0-1 (#1 South)
    #3 Gettysburg 9-0-2 (#1 Mid-Atlantic)
    #5 Wooster 13-0-2 (#1 Great Lakes)
    #24 Linfield 12-0-1 (#3 West)

Ranked Regionally
    NR Carnegie Mellon 11-0-0 (#5 Mid-Atlantic)

Unranked Regionally
    NR Central 14-0-0 (NR West)

11. Fiero20

Fiero20 Member

Aug 3, 2002
    Gillette Stadium
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    sry for not being here for a while. we (husson) have had two trips to VT, and we have a major problem putting the ball in the net. we are 4-8. we have dominated teams but we cant score. a very frustrating season for us. our season was summed up in our game against previous winless lyndon st college (VT). they scored on a lucky shot as our goalie slipped on the mud. i cant talk anymore about this year. we finish with ME Maritime on Wed nite at 7 and Sunrise conference leading ME Machias on Sat at 3. all on the road.

cheers.

p.s. - couldnt tell you about good teams because we havent played any.

12. Canadian_Supporter

Staff Member

Dec 20, 1999
    Prostějov, CR
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    #7 Luther College (Iowa) lost to unranked Loras College (Iowa) 2-1 over the weekend.

Great to see Luther lose.

I am also shocked to see that Central (Iowa) is undefeated. When I played in the IIAC, they were a weak team. They really haven't played any dominating teams on their schedule. However, they did beat a decent St Mary's (Minn) team 2-1 in OT. However, they have yet to play the two strongest teams in the IIAC (Simpson and Luther). These matches will show us if Central is the best team in the IIAC.

13. petkedude

petkedude New Member

May 3, 2002
    NJ & Camp Lejeune,NC
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    \

no, Craig hirsh./

i think its just that we do too much experimentation in our games.

14. eneste

eneste Member

Mar 24, 2000
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Re: Remaining Undefeated D-III Teams

Go Tartans! Beat Grove City today!

15. Dolemite

Dolemite Member+

Apr 2, 2001
    East Bay, Ca
    Tartan pride 4 ever!

16. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Being a Central player, we are looking forward to the challenge of playing Simpson and Luther this coming weekend and week. This is only the beginning for us though, we only lose two starters, and about half of our starting lineup this year are freshmen. We will only get better, Garry Laidlaw has done a great job of developing this program up.

17. Canadian_Supporter

Staff Member

Dec 20, 1999
    Prostějov, CR
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Best of luck against Simpson and Luther. Nothing would make me happier to see both of those teams lose to Central. Please... please beat Luther! Nice to see another program developing in the IIAC. My former college, Coe is really struggling and personally it doesn't really surprise me.

18. Flying Weasel

Flying Weasel Member

Mar 22, 2001
    Harrisburg, PA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Welcome to this thread, kuhnscoot. Good luck in the next week or so. You certainly close your regular season with a bang against Luther and Simpson. The conference title and that automatic bid to the NCAA's hangs in the balance. What a story that would be if you guys came from nowhere to crash the party. Luther's loss to Loras gives you guys an excellent opportunity. I'm shocked at how you can't even get into the regional rankings (except last week at #10). Granted, you're not playing a strong schedule, but 15-0 is 15-0. Well, the Luther and Simpson matches will show where you guys are at and besides the rankings mean little. Again, good luck.

19. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    thanks for the support, we are ready to go after both of them and are sure to give them a run. I can't understand the rankings either, we haven't played many teams, but 15-0 is 15-0. but we will see this weekend. Luther has been talking stuff all year about us not playing tougher competition, but we will see this Sat.

20. JoBeck

JoBeck New Member

Jul 24, 2000
    Wesschessduh
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As every week passes by, I never ceased to be amazed by the NSCAA Division III ranking system.

Gustavus Adolphus was ranked FIFTH—yes, FIFTH—in the October 14 rankings. They lost 1–0 to Nebraska Wesleyan this past week, and they drop all the way OUT of the top 25!

It's late October, it's already getting late in the season, and teams still move more than 20 spots in the rankings.

The rankings are absurd and the NSCAA should get rid of the national rankings for D-III and maybe just have regional rankings.

21. Flying Weasel

Flying Weasel Member

Mar 22, 2001
    Harrisburg, PA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree in part that the national rankings can at times be absurd. They can be too senstive to individual results and they pretend that all regions are of equal strength/quality.
    It's frustrating at times, but once understood and accepted for what it is and what it is not, you won't be as amazed or outraged again.

You suggest only having regional rankings. But the regional rankings themselves can have a fair bit of movement even late in the season. And, because of how the rankings are set-up, its the regional rankings themselves which directly contribute to the large movements in the national rankings. Gustavus Adolphus dropped from #1 to #4 (ok, tied at #3) in the region. That's what dropped them out of the Top 25. Basically, the same imperfections of the national rankings are present in the regional rankings.

22. swcfutbol

swcfutbol New Member

Feb 10, 2002
    Saint Peter, Minnesota
    rankings

I am a player for the Gustavus team and I agree the rankings are whack. Nebraska Weselyan is a strong team, though not rated. We didnt finish many opportunities and we gave up a crap goal. All of this means from going from 5th in the nation to not being rated at all. we got a game against Luther sunday so if we win that should help us out. I played in the Iowa Conference last year and thought that loras was a respectable opponent, it was no suprise to me that they beat Luther. Also Central is a very strong team, I noticed last year they had a lack of finishing, or atleast when i played against them, but still this year they should do well against simpson and luther, but the iowa conference tourney usually has some pretty good games, good luck Central in the tourny.

23. peledre

peledre Member

Mar 25, 2001
    Sioux Falls, SD
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: rankings

Holla!

What's up moulton.

24. Canadian_Supporter

Staff Member

Dec 20, 1999
    Prostějov, CR
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Re: Re: rankings

Peledre are you still playing at BV this year? If so, how is the season going? I told you that Coe would be terrible.

25. peledre

peledre Member

Mar 25, 2001
    Sioux Falls, SD
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Re: Re: rankings

Nope, hurt my ankle last year and kind of lost interest. I could probably play if I wanted to really badly but I'm just not to into the playing aspect anymore. I transferred to a different school as well, one that doesn't have a men's program either.