Division 3 Off Season 2021-2022

Discussion in 'Women's College' started by CoachJon, Apr 22, 2022.

1. CoachJon

CoachJon Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    NCAA Rule Changes

NCAA has approved changes to the overtime rules and substitution rules in college soccer, effective for the 2022 season.
    https://www.ncaa.org/news/2022/4/20/media-center-prop-approves-changes-to-soccer-overtime-rules.aspx

OVERTIME​

For the regular season, overtime has been eliminated, meaning if a game is tied after the regulation 90 minutes, it will end in a tie. Previously, teams played two 10-minute overtime periods in a sudden-victory (golden goal) format, and if neither team scored, the game ended in a tie.

In conference tournaments and NCAA postseason games, the sudden-victory component has been eliminated, and teams will play two 10-minute overtime periods instead. Also, when a substitution is made by the winning team in the last five minutes of the second overtime, the game clock will stop.

If the game remains tied, a penalty-kick shootout will be held to determine the winner.

SUBSTITUTIONS / RE-ENTRY: A pending change was canceled.​

The NCAA rescinded a change to the soccer reentry rules. Committee members voted in February to move forward a change where players would not be allowed to reenter a game after being substituted for in the second half.

However, after hearing feedback from the membership during the comment period on the proposed rules change, the committee agreed it is best to have more dialogue on this subject.

I like both of these developments. Draws never have bothered me, and sometimes that is the fair result. And if overtime periods are played, playing the full amount of time is only fair, especially when the first OT goal might have been against the run of play or a fluke, as does happen often in soccer.​

Fitballer repped this.
  2. CoachJon

CoachJon Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In other news.......

Julianne Sitch Named D3 University of Chicago Head Men’s Soccer Coach
    https://athletics.uchicago.edu/sports/msoc/index

Sitch did not play at a D3 program, but she was Assistant Women’s Soccer Coach at the D3 University of Chicago from 2015 – 2017, when the Maroon’s final national rankings were: 21, 11, and 4. ( https://unitedsoccercoaches.org/rankings/college-rankings/college-rankings-archive/ )

In 2005, she ended her DePaul career as the program's all-time leading scorer with 32 goals and 26 assists.

I enjoyed following her professional playing career with the Chicago Red Stars 2010-2014

I think this is a great thing, and I will peek in on the Chicago Men’s team from time to time this coming season.​

BigBear and Fitballer repped this.
  3. CoachJon

CoachJon Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I just happened to check the RIT and William Smith websites. Both have their 2022 schedules posted.
    William Smith graduated most of their scoring (heck, most of their starters) and have scheduled 4 pre-season scrimmages at home August 21-25, including Cornell on the 23rd. They have two games prior to hosting Messiah on September 10.
    RIT has 3 non-league games at home prior to their first Liberty League game at William Smith on September 2.

4. CoachJon

CoachJon Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    FINALLY - D3 players get a day off between the NCAA semifinal and final !!

Soccermom21 and ytrs repped this.
  5. Stryker41

Stryker41 Member

FC Copa
    United States
    Nov 7, 2019
    Just a FYI. Their website does not show the final RIT schedule yet. They have another non-league game against Kenyon College on 9/3, which is not listed yet. They also are pursuing a non-league match against Univ of Rochester. If it happens, not clear yet whether it will be before or after the RIT v. William Smith match on 9/21. If it doesn't happen, I haven't heard whether they have another opponent targeted as a replacement. All will be revealed at the end of July.

CoachJon repped this.
  6. CoachJon

CoachJon Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States