Division 3 2022

Discussion in 'Women's College' started by CoachJon, Aug 20, 2022.

1. CoachJon

CoachJon Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If you went to a D3 school, know someone who did go/will go/ is going to a D3 school, or you are a D3 fan; please post here about your favorite players, team or nemesis.

The United Soccer Coaches pre-season poll came out August 2. Showing no thought or research, the ranks are the same as the end of season ranks for 2021.

https://unitedsoccercoaches.org/rankings/college-rankings/ncaa-diii-women/

Here’s the Top 25:
    RankCollegeRankCollege
    1 Christopher Newport University14 Centre College
    2 The College of New Jersey 15 Carnegie Mellon University
    3 Loras College 16 Trinity University (TX)
    4 Wesleyan University17 Messiah University
    5 William Smith College 18 Amherst College
    6 Massachusetts Institute of Technology19 McDaniel College
    7 Misericordia University 20 Hamilton College
    8 University of Chicago 21 Brandeis University
    9 Johns Hopkins University 22 Emory University
    10 University of Scranton 23 Middlebury College
    11 Washington University (MO) 24Pomona-Pitzer Colleges
    12 Case Western Reserve University 25SUNY Geneseo
    13 University of Wisconsin-Lacrosse RV Ohio Northern University

Among the 4 schools listed as Receiving Votes, I chose to put Ohio Northern in the table above, because the program is known to me as consistently strong and I saw them play in person at least once in the last few years.

This Fall, teams will be settling into post-Covid normalcy. I expect a few Covid-related 5th year seniors and grad students to be playing, but not as many as in 2022.

The fun is about to begin!

-CJ

Fitballer and NewbieSoccerMom repped this.
  2. CoachJon

CoachJon Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Tomorrow at 4 p.m. I am going to watch William Smith scrimmage Div. 2 Roberts Wesleyan College from Rochester, NY. The William Smith Development Team plays against the Roberts Wesleyan JV team every year, and normally has no problem winning the game.

I understand WS Coach Aliceann Wilber’s recruiting net cast into international waters this past year (including the Port of San Diego, CA). Incoming players include: Amsterdam, Netherlands midfielder Moira van der Putt is transferring from Tyler Junior College in Texas; Filderstadt, Germany defender Amina Assefew will be a first year; forward Anna Nichols from San Diego will be a first year; as will be Rio de Janeiro, Brazil center back Julia Accioly.

Based on the past, I expect the WS players will be wearing gray tee shirts and the numbers won’t mean anything, so it will be tough to identify the new players from the sideline – and for me, the returning players,too. It will be great to see the players live!

-CJ

Stryker41, Fitballer and Klingo3034 repped this.
  3. CHFan

CHFan Member

Sep 27, 2016
    Club:
    FC Basel
    Nat'l Team:
    Faroe Islands
    Thanks CoachJon. I wish I could be in Rochester today. Did you see the highlight film for Julia Bragg from Ridgefield CT. She seems to have afterburners and a hammer of a shot. I can image her getting significant playing time at left wing this season. There will be real opportunities for newcomers this season.

Fitballer and CoachJon repped this.
  4. CHFan

CHFan Member

Sep 27, 2016
    Club:
    FC Basel
    Nat'l Team:
    Faroe Islands
    I notice that JHU lists 7 graduate students coming from D1 programs on their roster.

5. CoachJon

CoachJon Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I guess the 2 they had last year worked out OK, then.

Fitballer repped this.
  6. CoachJon

CoachJon Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was just preparing the list of Top 25 clashes in September and came accross two coaching changes to note.
    Please chime in if you know of other coaching changes in the Top 25 or historically Top 25 teams.

1. WashU
    New: 4/8/22 - Jim Conlon is back after one year at D2 Grand Valley State, where he won the D2 National Championship.
    Old: March 2022 - Interim head coach Stephanie Grabbert is no longer there. She is founder and CEO of Peak 9 LLC, which provides confidence training for girls.

2. Case Western Reserve
    New: 8/9/22 - Abby Richter. Was 2008-2021 Assistant coach at D1 Kent State University. Played as a goalkeeper at D3 UW-Stevens Point (2001 graduate).
    Old: 7/12/22 - Jen Simonetti. Had 3-year record of 30-7-3 at CWRU. Now head coach at D1Akron.

Fitballer repped this.
  7. Eddie K

Eddie K Member+

May 5, 2007
    Not sure how you can tell where they are from unless you did the research on each kid but I see 9 "GR"s on the JHU Roster. Nearly a full lineup.

I don't hold it against Dan. He's not breaking any rules and those kids, especially the Ivy ones, are likely going to great grad schools somewhere. So, why not Hopkins? But there's no question, there are some conference coaches who are not happy since many of their schools do not happen to have a world class graduate school.

This was a foreseeable almost 'glich' in the system when nearly every player at a US college got a freebee on the 20-21 covid year. Also since the Ivy League decided not to honor that 5th year, all those Ivy grads can shop around - and it will still be that way through the 20-21 freshmen - so Fall 24 will still have 5th year covid kids.

The only fix would be some limitation or restriction on kids maybe changing divisions to use that covid year? I don't know the answer but smart coaches at schools with nationally known graduate and professional schools, are really benefiting.

BTW- this has been a massive issue in lacrosse as well. Look at the current roster for the UMD men, the D1 Champs, who some say assembled the best team ever maybe in college mens lacrosse with 11 5th Year or Grad School players.

Hopkins is kinda doing this at the D3 level and so is that fair?? I've heard various takes on this...

Fitballer repped this.
  8. PlaySimple

PlaySimple Member

Sep 22, 2016
    Chicagoland
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    It's pretty amazing what effects covid has had on the landscape of collegiate sports. It is happening in all sports. Athletes that have redshirted a season, plus with the NCAA rule changes dues to covid, some athletes are having pretty long collegiate careers. We are soon going to see the "covid effect" start to wane.

A D3 school such as Johns Hopkins, and those schools that are major research institutions, really benefit due to having graduate programs. Most D3 schools do not have graduate programs.

Fitballer, CoachJon and ytrs repped this.
  9. CoachJon

CoachJon Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    RE: New Coaches

I missed the obvious one: TCNJ
    New: Leah McDermott, after 4 years head coach at Lebanon Valley College. She played at Messiah 4 years and won 3 National Championships there.
    Old: Joe Russo, retired after 31 years at TCNJ and 3 National Championships.

10. CoachJon

CoachJon Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I believe your question is more rhetorical than anything else. I'd respond: Fair for what? and Fair for who?

My opinion is the whole Covid-driven extra eligibility is nice for players who want to keep playing and a challenge for coaches and programs that systematically bring players through, see them 4 years and say farewell. The 2020 season sophomores probably got the short end of the stick. Many did not play a lot as freshmen and they lost their sophomore year, so going into 2021, they were very inexperienced juniors and still had 5th years and grad students in the way of playing time.
    Specifically related to Johns Hopkins - I have not analyzed the roster, but if the coach has 7 grad students who are brand new to the program from D1 this year, there is still the need to integrate them - you need 11 to play complementarily on the field. And as our D3 conversations in the past have indicated, the D1 players are NOT three times better than the high level D3 players. This isn't D1 baskeball where one or two spectacular one-year-and-done freshmen can lead a team to a championship.

11. Eddie K

Eddie K Member+

May 5, 2007
    Come on. The Centennial conference opponents! Their NCAA regional opponents. I'm not going to name names but several coaches are not happy at all that JHU, already a dominant program, now has access to D1 transfers, with experience, as they have a world-class graduate school. Look at the other small liberal arts privates in that conference. A few barely have any graduate school programs.

There are 9 Graduate school players shown on that JHU roster. A few were real good D1 players. A few look pretty average frankly, a few are Hopkins players just staying over, and no question its a bit of a management problem. They also have 9 freshmen and 35 total players shown. But I think I'd rather "integrate" an experienced D1 player to my roster than a D3 freshman.

Agree that no rules are broken and I don't hold it against the kids at all. They get to play a 5th year, or 4th or 4 and a half, depending on their covid year, but there is no question it gives JHU and lots of other schools with great graduate schools, another advantage to bring players to their roster.

Imagine if the rule was that everyone gets a 5th year now - go play as a grad student wherever you want. Clearly, schools with good graduate schools, that are well funded (with GAs and TAs) would have a huge advantage. There's a reason the D3 rule had been that you only get that 5th year at your undergraduate college. So this thing at Hopkins doesn't happen in d3.

Well - this is what's happening at many schools across all 3 divisions and it will last through the Fall 2024 season. Fair or not fair, going to be fun watching 22 and 23 year olds play a lot of college ball.

12. CoachJon

CoachJon Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The first games this season seem to be on September 1. I used the August 2 USC Pre-season poll to make this post.

Here are TOP 25 Games for September 2022. Most teams Live Stream their games for free and you can get the streams by going to the school’s Woso schedule page (or the opponent’s schedule page) and find the links.

While I was compiling this, it seemed weird that Williams and Hardin-Simmons were not in the Top 25.

Teams with no Top 25 game in September:
    #2 TCNJ, #3 Loras, #13 Wisconsin-Lacrosse, #14 Centre, and #22 Emory
    Messiah has 4 Top 25 games and William Smith has 3:
    #17 Messiah vs. #5, #7, #9, #19
    #5 William Smith vs. #15, #17, #25​

Johns Hopkins usually starts tough with 3, 4, or even 5 top 25 games; but this year they have two: #17 Messiah and #15 Carnegie Mellon.

Three teams are making California trips and Emory is headed to the Northwest. Chicago is meeting #24 Pomona Pitzer on 9/1 and Claremont-Mudd-Scripps on 9/3. WashU meets Cal Lutheran on 9/9 and Occidental on 9/11. Wisconsin-Lacrosse Meets Cal Lutheran on 9/1 and Chapman on 9/3. Emory is meeting Pacific Lutheran on 9/3 and Puget Sound on 9/5.

DayDateGameGame
    THU9-1#21 Brandeis at #6 MIT #8 Chicago at #24 Pomona Pitzer
    SUN9-4#1 Christopher Newport at #19 McDaniel #15 Carnegie Mellon at # 5 William Smith
    WED 9-7#9 Johns Hopkins at #17 Messiah
    SAT9-10#23 Middlebury at #18 Amherst #17 Messiah at # 5 William Smith
    SUN9-11#9 Johns Hopkins at #15 Carnegie Mellon
    WED9-14#5 William Smith at #25 SUNY Geneseo #19 McDaniel at #17 Messiah
    SAT9-17 #20 Hamilton at #23 Middlebury #RV Ohio Northern at #12 Case Western Reserve
    SAT9-24#17 Messiah at #7 Misericordia#21 Trinity (TX) at #14 Stevens
    SUN9-25#4 Wesleyan at #20 Hamilton
    WED9-28#7 Misericordia at #10 Scranton

Two more notes: a) Cal Lutheran is hosting #13 Wisconsin-Lacrosse and #11 WashU and then will go to Texas to meet UT-Dallas on 9/16 and Hardin-Simmons on 9/18. b) Penn State-Behrend is making a Tour de UAA -meeting Chicago 9/9, Case Western 9/21, and Carnegie-Mellon 9/25.

-CJ

Fitballer and Stryker41 repped this.
  13. CoachJon

CoachJon Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I last posted about head coach longevity in D3 back in 2017. Since it has been rainy all yesterday and today, I thought I would update the list. My idea can be expressed as follows:

Really Good Coaches => Successful Teams => Longevity => Great Programs

Here is what the Top 25 looks like. Warning – I got years from the team web sites and many have not been updated to 2022, I did not try to decipher the Covid year, and I cannot guarantee I subtracted start years from 2022 correctly. I apologize for spelling and other mistakes.

USC RankSchoolCoachYears HereComments
    Includes 2022
    1Christopher NewportJamie Gunderson3after 8 years as assistant
    2TCNJLeah McDermott1followed Joe Russo’s 31 years
    3LorasMatt Pucci13
    4WesleyanEva Meredith19
    5William SmithAliceann Wilber42
    6MITMartin Desmarais15
    7MisericordiaMark Stauffer23
    8ChicagoAmy Reifert32
    9Johns HopkinsDan Weiler2followed Leo Weil’s 28 years
    10ScrantonColleen Pivirotto14
    11WashUJim Conlon14
    12Case WesternAbby Richter1
    13UW – LacrosseJason Murphy9
    14CentreJay Hoffman18
    15Carnegie MellonYon Struble12
    16Trinity (TX)Dylan Harrison7
    17MessiahScott Frey23
    18AmherstJen Hughes18
    19McDanielSandy Lagana Bly11
    20HamiltonCollette Gilligan18
    21BrandeisMary Shimko3followed Denise Dallamora’s 39 years
    22EmorySue Patberg17
    23MiddleburyPeter Kim18
    24Pomona PitzerJennifer Scanlon15
    25GeneseoNate Wiley15

Fitballer repped this.
  14. ThePonchat

ThePonchat Member+

#ProRelForUSA
    United States
    Jan 10, 2013
    I've Been Everywhere Man
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ummm...not sure this is anywhere close to being accurate.

15. Enzo the Prince

Sep 9, 2007
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Indeed, it's wildly inaccurate. Just as a sample, I looked at the UAA, University Athletic Association. Every program in the conference offers graduate degrees, and most offer PhDs. That's U of Chicago, Rochester, Case Western, Carnegie Mellon, Emory, Brandeis, and NYU.

Closer to home, two D3s I sometimes watch play live, Meredith College and Methodist College, both offer graduate programs.

16. CHFan

CHFan Member

Sep 27, 2016
    Club:
    FC Basel
    Nat'l Team:
    Faroe Islands
    Last season, I believe that JHU was the only D3 team that included graduate students from D1 programs on their roster. However, this year CWR also lists two on theirs.

17. PlaySimple

PlaySimple Member

Sep 22, 2016
    Chicagoland
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    #17 PlaySimple, Aug 26, 2022
    Last edited: Aug 26, 2022
    Ummm...perhaps I should have qualified my statement a bit better.

I was following the discussion and points that Eddie K made earlier in the thread and in particular I was referencing the schools in the Centennial Conference, of which Johns Hopkins is a member of and that was the discussion - the large number of graduate students that JHU has.

It would have been more accurate for me to have stated that "many D3 schools do not have graduate programs and of those that do, outside of the major research universities, the number of graduate offerings is quite limited."

This was a portion of Eddie K's post:

JHU is a major research institution. The other schools in the Centennial? Not so much. JHU has over 40 graduate level programs. Of the other schools in the conference, four of the nine schools have graduate programs and of those that do, the number of programs is limited. Bryn Mawr may have the most grad programs after JHU with 20 different areas of study. Muhlenberg has 3 programs. Dickinson? 1 program.

So while D3 schools do have graduate programs, in general it is only the large research institutions that have large numbers of graduate programs. Smaller schools that do have graduate programs are quite limited in the number of programs that they offer.

It's not "wildly inaccurate." Reference what I wrote above about the Centennial Conference schools.

The UAA schools that you referenced above (add WashU to the list), are akin to JHU in that they're major research institutions. I had a kid at Chicago and WashU and a brother at Emory, so I am quite familiar with the UAA. Of course, those schools have many graduate programs but that said, they are atypical of most D3 schools.

I'm in Chicago so I looked at 3 other conferences around the Midwest to see what member schools offered in terms of graduate programs.

The CCIW (Illinois & Wisconsin) is the largest D3 conference in Illinois. A few of the schools offer some graduate programs but are quite limited in what they offer. Some of the schools offer no graduate programs.

Of the NCAC schools (mostly Ohio but DePauw in Indiana and Allegheny in Pennsylvania are also members) Oberlin may have a master’s level program in the conservatory of music and Wittenberg has 3 programs, Hiram has 1 program, and the six other schools have no graduate studies.

The last conference I looked at was the MIAA (all Michigan schools and Trine in northern Indiana). Calvin has the most graduate programs with 11. Adrian has 10. Alma has a few. Hope has some that are all in theology. Trine has about 9 programs. Olivet has a few.

If I had to bet, the schools that you referenced, Meredith and Methodist, have a very limited number of graduate programs.

So, while the coaches in the Centennial may not be happy with JHU's ability to draw many graduate students, there is nothing nefarious about it given the current NCAA rules regarding eligibility that resulted in "extra eligibility" primarily due to covid. It just is what it is. The average D3 school just does not have the funding or endowments to compete with the large research institutions like JHU, MIT, the schools in the UAA, etc, in terms of what they can offer for graduate studies.

18. Enzo the Prince

Sep 9, 2007
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Well, you moved the goal posts and added qualifiers like 'limited graduate programs' etc. I agree you should have qualified your statement better. It's not a big deal in general. You are right that JH and other schools like it have certain academic advantages.

PlaySimple repped this.
  19. CHFan

CHFan Member

Sep 27, 2016
    Club:
    FC Basel
    Nat'l Team:
    Faroe Islands
    I have compiled a list of returning All-Americans.

All-AmericanTeamUSCD3
    Anika WashburnCWR11
    Kaylee SturansMisericordia11
    Gianna CoppolaTCNJ12
    Jules DotterweichMcDaniel21
    Michaela FasolinoMisericordia21
    Payton McDonnellLoras21
    Kayla HerrMessiah13
    Grace DevannyWesleyan13
    Katie SullivanJHU1
    Ella MertePac Lutheran1
    Bailey MeyerTrinity Texas22
    Emma SweitzerMisericordia23
    Meagan O’CallahanF&M2
    Emily TomzPomona P2
    Alex AdamsCMU2
    Karenna GroffMIT2
    Megan SidawayCentre2
    Jill McDonaldChristopher Newport2
    Teresa HegartyScranton33
    Lauren KetchumWheaton3
    Josie DattiloHanover3
    Kate LuersWartburg3
    Juliette CarreiroBrandeis3
    Amanda EltonSt Catherine3
    Maria RicoMary Hardin-Baylor3
    Joy SmithWartburg3
    Sarah SmithChristopher Newport3
    Caelyn SteffensIllinois Wesleyan3

A few teams have not yet posted their 2022 rosters. I assume the following All-Americans will return this season. I will update the list when all teams have posted their rosters.

All-AmericanClassTeamUSCD3
    Mika FisherJrAmherst13
    Rylie MuttonSrHamilton2
    Annie MitchellSrChicago23

20. TheBobCrayBand

TheBobCrayBand New Member

Mar 25, 2009
    Club:
    Charleston
    There is a varying range of advantages and disadvantages within D3 schools. It would appear that JHU has a small pool that it can recruit from, (low end SAT 1520 & ACT 34)!!! Swarthmore can dip a little lower (low end SAT 1430 & ACT 33, with Education masters). Haverford (low end SAT 1360 & ACT 32). Then you get a huge drop to Bryn Mawr, Gettysburg, Dickinson and Franklin & Marshall (low end SAT 1200's & ACT 26-28). Next up Muhlenberg & Ursinus (low end SAT mid 1100's & ACT 23-25). Washington College (low end SAT 1040 & ACT 23). McDaniel (low end SAT 980 & ACT 18).
    The majority of Centennial coaches can recruit players with 1200's SAT and above or 25/26 ACT and above. That is a lot of players. McDaniel, which is a good program, can recruit just about anyone. That is a particular advantage and they are making it work.
    There can't be that many girls that are in the 1500's that are left after the IVY's, Stanfords, Dukes, and etc. get their pick.

CoachJon, Fitballer and cpthomas repped this.
  21. CoachJon

CoachJon Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I went to 3 games this weekend. Friday and Saturday at RIT and Sunday at William Smith.
    Denison and Kenyon from the North Coast Athletic Conference (Ohio and Indiana) visited RIT and Nazareth here in Rochester with RIT hosting Denison Friday and Kenyon Saturday while Nazareth hosted Kenyon on Fri and Denison Sat.
    Scores: RIT 2 Denison 1, RIT 2 Kenyon 0, Nazareth 1 Kenyon 1, and Nazareth 1 Denison 0.​

Both the RIT games were played in sunny 85-degree weather on the brand-new artificial turf which replaced the grass at Tiger Stadium. Other than the expected comments about turf burns, the folks I chatted with said the players liked the surface. In terms of reporting on the games, RIT was probably happy to have scored 2 on Friday after giving up the opening goal and to earn a clean sheet victory on Saturday. Over the two games, I felt that RIT generally did well in using central midfielder Jessica Gomez (Jr, Silver Spring MD) as the playmaker between the back line and forwards. Goalkeeper Darcie Jones (Sr. Sinking Spring, PA) had two strong games and did well to come out, intimidate the attacker, and block at least 3 breakaways on the weekend. RIT appears to have a strong group of first-years, featuring left fullback/winger Roberta Moger (Fy, Bala Cynwyd, PA), who had two very good games.

Against RIT, the Denison goal was scored by forward Callie Davis (Jr, Hampton, PA), who had two shots on goal in the first seven and a half minutes of the match and had four total shots within the first 15 and a half minutes. Denison was held to only one shot for the rest of the game.

In the Sunday game, 15th ranked Carnegie Mellon faced off against the 5th ranked William Smith home side. The sky was overcast with rain threatening during the game with temperatures in the low 70s. William Smith lost four 5th year seniors plus 2 others to graduation, accounting for 67% of the goals and 53% of the assists in 2021. The WS GK plus the back four returned intact from 2021, so that is a good base to mold a team from.

As far as reporting on the game goes, as usual, I find it hard to have perspective when I am such a strong WS supporter. This was C-M’s first game, while WS had a game on Thursday, which they won 8-0 with 8 different players scoring. I said to one of the C-M Dads that I thought if this wasn’t C-M’s first game, the result could have been very different. C-M did outplay WS in the second half and for the game had 15 shots (5 SOG) to 11 (4 SOG) for WS. Both WS goals were from corner kicks, where the ball got to the ground and was finished in the box. For C-M, unfortunately midfielder Cecelia Dieterich (Jr, South Paris, ME) had to leave the game in the 19th minute with what appeared to be a shoulder injury. After that, the most effective and strong attacking player was forward Maria Askounis (So, Bloomfield Hills, MI).

I felt the two standout players for WS were left fullback Ireland Krawczyk (So, Elmira, NY), who actively stifled C-M’s attackers and saved a shot from her position at the post on a corner kick; and forward Seneca Blakely-Armitage (Sr, Ithaca, NY), who IMO played the best game of her WS career and seemed very comfortable playing the target forward up top.

-CJ

Fitballer repped this.
  22. Eddie K

Eddie K Member+

May 5, 2007
    About Hopkins - they won 11-0 and 6-1 this weekend vs Roanoke and CUA, so not ranked teams but certainly teams that don't allow 5+ goals very much.

They started 7 Graduate students, 1 Jr, 2 Sophs, and 1 First Year.

Could this be the oldest college women's soccer team fielded in D3 history? in NCAA history? Red shirting is not really a thing in d3. It certainly has not been common that any players play a 5th year in d3 other than a random medical waiver.

I can tell you if I was one of those coaches, I'd be waiting until 2025 to pay Hopkins again. You're going to hear more about this before the covid policies finally phase out in 2024.

23. CoachJon

CoachJon Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wednesday (9/7/22) at 7:00 pm ET, JHU plays at Messiah.
    Live Stream: https://gomacsports.tv/?B=418087
    That will be interesting, I think. I have a live game to attend, so I can't watch it real time.

https://www.d3sports.com/sports/wsoc/2022-23/schedule
    D3sports.com has most D3 Woso games listed. Results have links to box scores and recaps. Upcoming games have links to live streams and live stats.

Top 25 Results from the weekend:
    MIT (home) 2-1 over Brandeis
    Pomona Pitzer (home) 3-0 over Chicago
    McDaniel (home) tied CNU 0-0
    WashU (home) tied Trinity (TX) 0-0

24. CHFan

CHFan Member

Sep 27, 2016
    Club:
    FC Basel
    Nat'l Team:
    Faroe Islands
    It has been an inauspicious first week for the UAA teams. CWR is the only team without a blemish.
    • Emory lost both matches on their Northwestern tour
    • Chicago got hammered by Pomona Pitzer
    • CMU lost to William Smith
    • Brandeis lost to MIT
    • Washu played to draws against Trinity TX and Fontbonne
    • Rochester drew with Cortland
    • NYU drew with Vassar
    There is no shame in losing to Pomona Pitzer, William Smith or MIT. All three are legitimate top 10 contenders. And we are still in early season.

Speaking of MIT, they were drawn by Johnson & Wales (RI) yesterday. According to the box score, J&W took more shots and had a 9/1 advantage in corners. Could J&W be for real?

I watched part of the Williams/Hamilton match. Hamilton scored the only goal in the 6th minute. Thereafter, Williams dominated (16/3 shots, 14/1 corners) but couldn't score, to a large degree because Hamilton's first-year goalie Nieve Tonna. I thought the Williams midfielders and defense were definitely more skilled than their counterparts at Hamilton. However, all that dominance and skill did not matter in the end.

CoachJon repped this.
  25. Stryker41

Stryker41 Member

FC Copa
    United States
    Nov 7, 2019
    I was able to stream the game on 9/4 between 15th ranked Carnegie Mellon (CM) against the 5th ranked William Smith (WS). This game was the first test of how William Smith would respond to the loss of four 5th year players and 2 other seniors to graduation. WS had a prior game against the Univerity of St Joseph, a less skilled team, with WS winning 8-0 but without a single player having more than 1 goal. This was the first game of the season for Carnegie Mellon and it showed in the first half.

The first half seemed to be mostly mired in the midfield with neither team making any dangerous plays. However WS had the better of play, outshooting CM 6-4. WS broke through with a goal in the 27th minute off of a corner kick deflection. However, CM seemed to settle down afterwards. In the second half, CM took control, outshooting WS 11-5. CM had a number of dangerous opportunities to tie the game but were unable to finish. WS was able to tack on a second goal against the run of play and then held on by its fingernails for the win. After 4 pre-season games and a gimme first match, it is difficult to argue that the WS players are still trying to figure out their new roles. Although CoachJon may hate to hear it, WS definitely looks less dangerous offensively than in past years and the door may be more open to a new League champion than in the past. The next match for WS is against Messiah on 9/10. WS will definitely have to up its game if it intends to win that game.

I was also able to stream the RIT matches against Denison on 9/2 and Kenyon on 9/3. RIT won both matches by scores of 2-1 and 2-0 respectively. RIT showed both speed and control, significantly outpossessing its opponents in both matches. Swinging the ball back and forth across the field and then attacking through the gaps they created. This style of play seemed to wear down its opponents and allowed RIT to control the second half. In the Denison match, Denison forward Callie Davis was the offensive creator who scored the first goal in the 15th minute. Re-watching the game, Davis was offsides on the play but the refs missed it. Davis managed two shots on goal in the first 7 minutes of the match and had 4 total shots in the first 15 minutes. However, the RIT defense wore Denison down, allowing only one shot for the rest of the game. In the Kenyon match, RIT controlled most of the match, outshooting Kenyon 7-3 in the first half and 11-5 in the scond half. At no point did it feel that Kenyon was in the match.

Last night RIT went up against its first serious challenge, playing #25 Geneseo. This is always a tough match for RIT, who won last year's match 1-0 on a rebound off of a PK by Cataldo-Smith. Candidly, this was the best that I have seen RIT play over the 3 years that I have followed them. Geneseo generated only 2 shots and 3 corner kicks in the first half. RIT continued with its style of play, looking for quick attacks through the gaps and had 7 shots against them. In the second half, RIT shut down Geneseo completely, not allowing a single shot or corner kick. Meanwhile, RIT put away 2 goals in a span on one minute (67th and 68th minutes respectively), generating 12 shots and 4 corner kicks.

My pre-season question as to whether RIT added any dangerous players to supplement their offense has been answered positively. Six different players have scored the 6 RIT goals in these 3 matches. Freshman Roberta Moger has shown dangerous speed on the outside while red-shirt sophomore Sam Halligan is currently leading the team in shots and points. Senior Madison Corso has been busy in front of the net and scored her first goal off of a deflection on a Halligan shot. While their top scorer from prior years (Cataldo-Smith) has yet to score a goal, she continues to draw attention from the opponent's defense and made a beautiful chip shot over the goalie that lead to Halligan's goal in the Geneseo game. Their defense has been solid and has limited scoring opportunities throughout these matches. Sophomore Amber Flynn (who never saw the field last year) is now starting on the back line and has been an eye-opening defender. Jessica Gomez has been outstanding in the midfield, challenging for balls and getting the ball up to the forwards in dangerous spots. As you can tell, I'm a little excited about the prospects of their season and think William Smith should be a little worried. Their next match is against Otterbein on 9/10.

Fitballer, CoachJon and CHFan repped this.