Division 3 – 2021 (Fall)

Discussion in 'Women's College' started by CoachJon, Aug 6, 2021.

1. CoachJon

CoachJon Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If you went to a D3 school, know someone who did go/will go/ is going to a D3 school, or you are a D3 fan; please post here about your favorite players, team or nemesis.

The United Soccer Coaches pre-season poll came out August 4. Given the gap between the end of the 2019 season and now, I suppose this poll is at least one way to start looking at the upcoming season. OTOH, like they say, everyone starts out with a 0-0-0 record.

https://unitedsoccercoaches.org/rankings/college-rankings/ncaa-diii-women/

Here’s the Top 25:

RankCollegeRankCollege
    1 Messiah College14 Stevens Institute of Technology
    2 William Smith College 15 University of Chicago
    3 Pomona-Pitzer Colleges 16 Christopher Newport University
    4 Washington University (MO)17 Tufts Univesity
    5 Carnegie Mellon University 18 Ohio Northern University
    6 Johns Hopkins University 19 Centre College
    7 Massachusetts Institute of Technology 20 California Lutheran University
    8 Wheaton College (IL) 21 Trinity University (TX)
    9 The College of New Jersey 22 Claremont-McKenna-Harvey Mudd-Scripps Colleges
    10 Amherst College 23 SUNY Geneseo
    11 Middlebury College 24Wartburg College
    12 Williams College 25Swarthmore College
    13 Dickinson College RVHardin-Simmons University

Among the 8 schools listed as Receiving Votes, I chose to put Hardin-Simmons in the table above, based on my favorable opinion of the team and my surprise H-S was not in the top 25.

This fall, teams will have unpredictable rosters, with 5th year players, 2nd year players that did not get a season last year, and First Years coming into an unsettled environment.

Fasten your Seatbelts!

-CJ

Eddie K repped this.
  2. Almost done

Almost done Member

Juventus
    United States
    Oct 4, 2019
    surprised not to see Case Western in the top 25!

3. BigBear

BigBear Member

Apr 20, 2020
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not sure if this is serious...

In 2019 they were 2-5 in the UAA, somehow still given an at-large bid, and lost in the first round of the NCAA tournament.

Nothing against the program, but not worthy of Top 25 consideration to start the new season.

4. Eddie K

Eddie K Member+

May 5, 2007
    #4 Eddie K, Aug 7, 2021
    Last edited: Aug 7, 2021
    I know a coach from one of these ranked schools who told me he had exactly 7 players on campus all of last year. 7.

Of course many of the 'big dogs' in d3 will still be good and worthy of ranking but with about half your team 'new' this year, it's going to be interesting to see how it plays out.

Always interesting how the D1s are so early, playing games already as the D2s and 3s are just showing up for preseason. Hopefully, we don't need any more asterisks for this season of play and everyone gets started properly.

CoachJon repped this.
  5. Almost done

Almost done Member

Juventus
    United States
    Oct 4, 2019
    I know a player on the Case Western team and was obviously misled by the 13-5-1 record that year.

6. Almost done

Almost done Member

Juventus
    United States
    Oct 4, 2019
    Played a lot of cup cakes out of conference I’m guessing.

7. CoachJon

CoachJon Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I usually like to look at the schedules to see which teams are coming out of the gate hard and fast.
    The first games this season seem to be on September 1. I used the August 4 USC Pre-season poll to make this post.

Here are TOP 25 Games for September 2021 (includes thru Oct 3). Most teams Live Stream their games for free and you can get the streams by going to the school’s Woso schedule page (or the opponent’s schedule page) and find the links.

Teams with no Top 25 game in September:
    #22 Claremont-Mudd-Scripps and #24 Wartburg​

Messiah and Cal Lutheran have 4 Top 25 games and Johns Hopkins, Williams, and Stevens have 3:
    #1 Messiah vs. #2, #6, #13, #14
    #20 Cal Lutheran vs. #3 (twice), #16, #21
    #6 Johns Hopkins vs. #1, #5, #25
    #12 Williams vs. #7, #10, #17
    #14 Stevens vs. #1, #21, #25​

DayDateGameGame
    WED9-1#1 Messiah at #14 Stevens
    FRI 9-3#20 Cal Lutheran at #3 Pomona-Pitzer (non-conf)
    SAT9-4#2 William Smith at #1 Messiah (2019 NCAA Championship Final Rematch)
    SUN9-5#19 Centre vs. Emory or #18 Ohio Northern#RV Hardin-Simmons at #21 Trinity (TX)
    WED9-8#1 Messiah at #6 Johns Hopkins
    FRI9-10#14 Stevens at #9 TCNJ#20 Cal Lutheran at #21 Trinity (TX)
    SAT9-11#12 Williams at #17 Tufts#19 Centre at #16 Christopher Newport
    SUN9-12#25 Swarthmore at #14 Stevens
    WED9-15#8 Wheaton at #15 Chicago
    SAT9-18#23 Geneseo at #2 William Smith
    TUE9-21#7 MIT at #17 Tufts
    WED9-22#25 Swarthmore at #6 Johns Hopkins
    FRI9-24#8 Wheaton at #4 WashU#21 Trinity (TX) at #14 Stevens
    SAT 9-25#16 Christopher Newport vs. #20 Cal Lutheran at Santa Cruz
    SUN9-26#7 MIT at #12 Williams
    WED9-29#1 Messiah at #13 Dickinson#5 Carnegie Mellon at #6 Johns Hopkins
    SAT10/2#12 Williams at #10 Amherst#3 Pomona-Pitzer at #20 Cal Lutheran (conf)
    SUN10/3#10 Amherst at #11 Middlebury

I did note that #16 Christopher Newport is traveling to Santa Cruz, CA on 9/24 & 9/25 for games with UC Santa Cruz and #20 Cal Lutheran. Also #8 Wheaton Is traveling to Tacoma, WA on 9/10 & 9/11 for games with Pacific Lutheran and Puget Sound.

-CJ

8. PlaySimple

PlaySimple Member

Sep 22, 2016
    Chicagoland
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I'm surprised that there hasn't been mention here of Jim Conlon leaving Wash U for Grand Valley State.

https://www.washubears.com/sports/wsoc/2021-22/releases/20210730h3my1v

https://gvsulakers.com/news/2021/7/30/womens-soccer-jim-conlon-named-head-womens-soccer-coach.aspx

Conlon compiled a 208-37-19 record while at Wash U and always had the Bears positioned as one of the best programs in the country. Wash U is an outstanding school and shouldn't have a problem getting a good coach. The timing of Conlon's departure, though, is not great with the fall season just around the corner. I've always thought that D3 schools like Wash U, Chicago, Wiliams, and other academic heavyweights in leagues like the UAA and NESCAC, get high-quality recruits that, in many cases, could play at the D1 level but are choosing a high-quality academic school due to having the smarts to be admitted to such a school.

Conlon will find that he will be recruiting a different type of student-athlete to GVSU than he was accustomed to recruiting to WashU. GVSU is not a bad academic school but it's not even close to a school like WashU. It's really more similar to the schools that are found in the D1 Mid American Conference - not great but fairly solid overall. It will be interesting to see how Conlon does but he should do well. GVSU is a big name in college soccer and there are a lot of good players that want to play there. As with Wash U, many of the players that play at D2 GVSU could have played at a D1 school.

Eddie K and CoachJon repped this.
  9. CoachJon

CoachJon Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That announcement IS relatively fresh. It hasn't made it onto D3Soccer.com's Coaching Carosel yet.
    https://d3soccer.com/notables/coaching/2021/2021-carousel

The big one I missed from earlier this year is Pete Felske retiring from Wheaton after 32 years (525-128-39 at Wheaton).
    https://athletics.wheaton.edu/news/...es-his-retirement-as-womens-soccer-coach.aspx

PlaySimple repped this.
  10. Eddie K

Eddie K Member+

May 5, 2007
    Sike also retired from Rochester. He did it in the summer and so the ac is now the interim. Always makes me wonder if such late decisions are done to favor the internal candidate. Sometimes it works, sometimes the AD may feel a bit setup.

I've met Conlon and I can tell you he's intelligent and a worker. He's been a leader in rankings and selections committees for many years. A big advocate for the UAA, so was Sike. UAA lost some experienced coaches for sure.

The comments above about Conlon by @PlaySimple are spot on. It will be different at GVSU but you have to assume he knows what he's getting into. The training model in D2 is much better than D3 for committed players. Not saying D3 kids aren't committed but its different when you only have 1 spring game and 15 practices. Some of you may remember D3 almost split over the issue of non-traditional seasons when the 16 training days with 1 game included model was a compromise.

PlaySimple and CoachJon repped this.
  11. PlaySimple

PlaySimple Member

Sep 22, 2016
    Chicagoland
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    The announcements don't make the Coaching Carousel at D3soccer.com until the replacements are named. That's why Conlon's move to GVSU is not yet on the site.

Wheaton did name Felske's assistant, Cesar Gomez, to the HC position. Wheaton shouldn't miss a step and will more than likely be in the national D3 discussion as they usually are. Wheaton has Gomez listed with an interim label but I've heard that he more than likely will be the HC for as long as he wants the position.

As a Chicago person, I follow the CCIW fairly closely. Illinois Wesleyan also had a coaching change a while back. After having Dave Barrett for a lot of years before he left IWU for D1 Fairfield, IWU hired a relatively inexperienced coach in Tony Dulak. Dulak was only at IWU for 3 years before resigning this past spring. IWU has hired Keri Sanchez who had previously been an assistant at Texas for four years. Prior to that Sanchez was HC at Claremont Mudd Scripps for 13 years. Sanchez has a strong soccer pedigree having earned some caps with the USWNT and she also played at UNC under Anson Dorrance from 1991 to 1994 when the Tarheels won 4 straight NCAA championships.

Good point about the late changes being done to favor an internal replacement and not something that I've really considered but sure makes a lot of sense. It is perfectly reasonable to see how the AD may, in some circumstances, feel set up. In other situations, the moves are coordinated with the AD's approval. If the AD likes the candidate and doesn't want to go through the motions of finding a new HC, etc. In those instances, I've wondered why the athletic department even bothers with the "interim" label unless they want the interim coach to get the impression that it is a "trial run" and a permanent move will rely on performance measures.

That said, the Rochester interim, Gabe Kleinert, seems to have a decent, if somewhat limited, background. He was previously at Rochester for only two years

CoachJon repped this.
  12. CoachJon

CoachJon Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    To add on to @PlaySimple and @Eddie K , here are coaching changes for 2020 and 2021 from D3socer.com that I felt noteworthy. If you are interested in links to the new coach announcements, please see D3Soccer.com or the team websites.

Nationally Recognized Programs

Brandeis – UAA
    New (June 2020): Mary Shimko (Brandeis grad, recent 35-17-4 as 3-year assistant at Brandeis)
    Old: Denise Dellamora (40-year record, all at Brandeis 378-284-71) next – retirement.
    https://www.brandeisjudges.com/sports/wsoc/2019-20/releases/DallamoraRetires

Christopher Newport – Coast to Coast
    New (April 2020): Jamie Gunderson (recent 113-22-12 as assistant at CNU)
    Old: Dan Weiler (7-year record 113-22-12 at CNU) next – Johns Hopkins

Illinois Wesleyan – CCIW
    New (May 2021): Keri Sanchez (recent - 13-year record 148-92-30 at Claremont-Mudd-Scripps, 25 years coaching, 4x NCAA Champion player at North Carolina, 13 USWNT caps)
    Old: Tony Dulak (3-year record 32-11-12 at IWU) next – “other opportunities”

Johns Hopkins - Centennial
    New (Feb 2020): Dan Weiler (recent 113-22-12 at CNU, 18 years total coaching)
    Old: Leo Weil (28-year record, all at Johns Hopkins 410-121-43) next – retirement
    https://hopkinssports.com/honors/hall-of-fame/leo-weil/192

University of Rochester – UAA
    New Interim (June 2021): Gabe Kleinert (recent 2-year 18-14-3 as assistant at U of R)
    Old: Sike Dardaganis (9-year record 61-71-23, after 14 years as assistant coach) next – unknown

WashU - UAA
    New: Unknown, Conlon left in July 2021
    Old: Jim Conlon (12-year record 208-37-19, 1 NCAA Championship) next – Grand Valley State
    https://bearsports.wustl.edu/sports/wsoc/2021-22/releases/20210730h3my1v

Wheaton – CCIW
    New Interim (June 2021): Cesar Gomez (19 years as assistant at Wheaton)
    Old: Pete Felske (32-year record, all at Wheaton 525-128-39, 3 NCAA Championships) next – retirement
    https://athletics.wheaton.edu/news/...es-his-retirement-as-womens-soccer-coach.aspx

Williams - NESCAC
    New (Feb 2020): Sarah Raymond (4-year assistant to Pinard, 14-year head coach record 126-98-97)
    Old: Michelyne Pinard (18-year record at Williams 268-51-39, 3 NCAA Championships) next – A.D. at The Thacher School, Ojai, CA
    https://ephsports.williams.edu/news/2019/11/24/11_24_2019_523.aspx

Liberty League (I list these because William Smith plays in it)

Bard
    New (Mar 2021): Kate Hofstede (recent 7 years at Marist 55-55-77)
    Old: Bill Kelly (13-year record 94-131-14) next – unknown

Union
    New (May 2020): Karen Gurnon (recent 19-32-2 at Nichols, in 2019 was named to United Soccer Coaches 30 Under 30 program)
    Old: Brian Speck (25-year record, all at Union 311-111-35) next – retirement
    https://unionathletics.com/news/202...fter-25-years-speck-announces-retirement.aspx

Vassar
    New (June 2021): Keith Simmons (recent 2-year assistant at Wesleyan 17-10-5)
    Old: Corey Holton (7-year record 56-43-117) next – A.D. & soccer coach at Cheshire Academy in Cheshire, CT

I apologize for typographic or other mistakes in this post, and if I did not list your favorite team.

-CJ

Klingo3034 and cpthomas repped this.
  13. CoachJon

CoachJon Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #13 CoachJon, Aug 22, 2021
    Last edited: Aug 22, 2021
    @Stryker41 asked this in the D3 off-season thread:
    “Any news as to whether any of the William Smith 2020-2021 seniors are returning for a Year 5 for this fall? I see that William Smith was ranked # 2 in the pre-season poll. “

Now, I can report that four key 2020-2021 seniors are back for a 5th year (maybe they are not Srs -but 5rs): Forward Julia Keough, wingers Sheila McQuillen and Amanda Adams, and central midfielder Merilyn Hinrichs. All-American Defender Maialen Martinez has gone on to graduate school at Penn State.

I went to a William Smith scrimmage Sunday afternoon vs. the Empire United Soccer Academy (Rochester, NY) U16 Boys. They are an MLS Next club, which I think means a pretty high level. It was mostly sunny and low 80’s with no breeze. The stands were open, masks were optional and there were 70-100 people watching (I was surprised). They played 3 – 30-minute periods, with the Heron starters playing the first and third. I asked an Empire mom if the team had played against any girl/women’s teams before. She said maybe in-house with the girl’s sides, but not against a women’s team. She said she was impressed by William Smith, she didn’t expect them to be so good. [BTW, the Herons were wearing gray tee shirts with no numbers, so I was not 100% sure who was who, and I don’t know this year’s freshmen or sophomores at all.]

The first string held Empire United scoreless in both the first and third periods, but the second team gave up 4 goals in the second half hour. The first string was able to clog the midfield and keep the boys from advancing the ball at will. A well-positioned back line kept the boys from playing kick-and-run. I only once before saw women (professionals) play a boy’s team and that time it took the boys about a half hour or so to figure out how to use their size, strength, and speed to beat the girls and that appeared to be the case during this scrimmage as well.

The girls ended up defending for pretty much 90 minutes, and oh! can Coach Wilber’s players defend. Sophomore keeper Kristen Nelson was excellent all day and came quickly far out twice to snuff out breakaways in the first period. The Herons did not muster much attack, mostly because their team speed, which is excellent vs. other girls, was not a match for the boys. Any through ball or ball over the top was efficiently gobbled up by the boys’ defense. I think the Herons only put one shot on goal for the day.

The 14- and 15- y.o. boys were very good and even patient in the box a few times, making a pass or passes when less disciplined players would crank a shot. Perhaps the biggest problem in such a game is that 50-50 balls and crosses in the air are lost causes for the women. Not that they don’t contest them fiercely, but that almost every time they lose out to the boys.

My impression was that such a scrimmage is an excellent training event for the girls and perhaps an eye-opener for the boys, where they learn they can’t be sloppy and have to play good soccer to get the win.

I don’t know much about this fall’s first-years (freshmen), but the Herons do have a FY central defender from the Netherlands and a FY midfielder from South Africa. Both acquitted themselves well.

Stryker41 repped this.
  14. Eddie K

Eddie K Member+

May 5, 2007
    Sounds fun.
    In one of Anson Dorrance's books, it has been a while, but he used to say UNC started the season 0-1 every year after they scrimmaged a club boys team. back then from CASL I think.

My take is that you have to be very selective about the matchup and have an official with a whistle in case someone gets pissed.

and you're going to see lots of uniform issues around the country this year. The common joke is they got stuck in the Suez Canal...

CoachJon repped this.
  15. Socalsoccercoach

Dec 1, 2013
    Two of the most successful and storied programs with Interim coaches. Should be interesting to see how they do!

CoachJon repped this.
  16. Stryker41

Stryker41 Member

FC Copa
    United States
    Nov 7, 2019
    Thanks for the roster information on William Smith. I am very interested to see how Julia Keough plays this season. Her play in the spring scrimmage against RIT was very impressive. She will be dangerous if she stays at that level of play for the season.

As it turns out, RIT scrimmaged Saturday morning against the Empire United Soccer Academy U16 Boys team at their Empire field. I am assuming it is the same roster that played against William Smith. They played two matches of 70 minutes, broken into 35 minute halves.The temperature was in the low 80's and it rained throughout the first match. I could parrot much of Jon's review on the play of the Empire team (good overall speed, tendency to look for long passes over the top, good defense).

In the first match, RIT played its starters for the first 15 minutes of each half before subbing out its top players (2 forwards, 2 mids and the center back). The starters were able to keep pace with the speed of the boys team, controlled their long passes and were able to put offensive pressure on them. After the top 5 were subbed, the Empire team began to put more offensive pressure on RIT, got some good ball movement in the box and scored a goal. Junior goalkeeper Darcie Jones was solid overall and made some good saves on some close shots by Empire. The RIT starters evened it up early in the second half, when Wagner put away a rebound after Cataldo-Smith took the ball away from a defender and fed a breaking McHale for a blast on the goalie from about 10 yards out. A well-timed break for Empire on a long pass led to a goal late in the second half to finish at 2-1. The RIT starters appreciated the competition from the boys and felt that their play would translate well against other women's teams.

In the second match, RIT played its first year and second year players, with a few upperclassmen that the coach wanted to take a closer look at sprinkled in. That match was not competitive as the Empire team dominated. To be fair, most of the first and second year players have yet to get a handle on the system used by the team and the speed differential was obvious. It was a good lesson for these younger players.

Next scrimmage for RIT will be SUNY Cortland. Looking forward to seeing the Liberty League women on the pitch again.

CoachJon repped this.
  17. CoachJon

CoachJon Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    List of winningest D3 Woso programs from Item #3 here https://www.d3playbook.com/2021/08/hot-topics.html
    The web site gives W-L-D and starting year for each program #1-25

Klingo3034 repped this.
  18. CoachJon

CoachJon Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The movie “The Mystery of Her” was made in Rochester, NY and the surrounding area this year. https://www.themysteryofher.com/ It is planned to be released this fall.

I just found out that they shot soccer scenes at William Smith in May. The four Heron seniors, who are fifth-years this fall, show up at about 0:50 in the video clip embedded in the tweet. I think it is so great that these smiley, upbeat people can turn into such fierce competitors on the field!

-CJ

19. CoachJon

CoachJon Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #19 CoachJon, Sep 2, 2021
    Last edited: Sep 2, 2021
    The September 1 game between #1 Messiah and #14 Stevens in Hoboken, NJ was cancelled due to heavy Hurricane Ida-related rains. Messiah’s website says it will not be re-scheduled. So, Messiah will have had no games before hosting #2 William Smith at noon ET on Saturday.
    https://gomessiah.com/watch/?Live=499&type=Live

I went to #2 William Smith vs. Oneonta. Weather was in the low 70’s and mostly cloudy – a relief from the high 80’s-low 90’s we have been having. It was 10-0 for WS. Oneonta keeper senior Claire Lepper (Poland, NY) had an admirable first half, making two double saves from point blank shot -then-rebound attacks. She finished the half with 12 saves and WS only had 2 goals.

WS started two first-years: midfielder Marissa Mastracco (Glenmont, NY) and defender Mercedes Weigel (Amsterdam, Netherlands); and one of last year’s newcomers: sophomore defender Ava Brazie (Fayetteville, NY) . It looked to me like WS was playing a 3-2-3-2 formation, which they use less frequently than a 4-back setup.

20. CHFan

CHFan Member

Sep 27, 2016
    Club:
    FC Basel
    Nat'l Team:
    Faroe Islands
    The Herons record against Messiah is 5-5-3. Their record against the Falcons in early December is 0-4. The record in early September is 5-1-3.

CoachJon repped this.
  21. CoachJon

CoachJon Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This weekend’s top 25 games. I hope the links work.

Fri 9/3 - 7:00 pm ET: #20 Cal Lutheran at #3 Pomona-Pitzer (non-conf)
    https://www.sciacnetwork.com/sagehens/?B=284704

Sat 9/4 - Noon ET: #2 William Smith at #1 Messiah (time change)
    https://gomessiah.com/watch/?Live=499&type=Live
    ( stream starts at 11:40; the announcers are usually good)

Sun 9/5 - TBD ET: #19 Centre vs. Emory or #18 Ohio Northern
    https://centrecolonels.com/watch/?Live=123&type=Live

Sun 9/5 - 7:00 pm ET: #RV Hardin-Simmons at #21 Trinity (TX)

22. C13soccer

C13soccer Member

Arsenal
    United States
    Aug 30, 2018
    There are a lot of unknowns in the rankings this year…two classes graduated so in D3 there’s a good chance the vast majority of players who saw significant time in 2019 are no longer on the team.

Another hidden factor are 5th year students that are relatively rare in D3. Sure there are the “organic” 5th years that choose to start a grad program at their alma mater….but…

be on the lookout for transfers in using their 5th year. Especially from the Ivies. You can’t play 5 years at the Ivies, so look for those D3 schools with high academic credentials (UChicago, Hopkins, Carnegie Mellon, MIT…) who can lure an Ivy grad with D1 skills into one last season on the pitch.

By that measure, Hopkins deserves a look….they have 2 Ivy transfers and another from the Big 10.

The new coach reloaded in a hurry.

PlaySimple and CoachJon repped this.
  23. CoachJon

CoachJon Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I watched some streams this holiday weekend. Long post, sorry.

A ton of D3 Woso scores are available at D3Sports.com, with some links to livestreams for future games and games in progress and links to some box scores and recaps for completed games.
    https://d3s.prestosports.com/sports/wsoc/2021-22/schedule

All the teams are a bit wacky with 5th year players, sophomores who had no or limited freshman years and freshmen who are new.

Cal Lutheran at Pomona Pitzer: 3-0 Pomona. No play-by-play announcers, just crowd noise and stadium announcement audio. Nice mountains behind the North goal. Pomona’s stifling defense that I remember from 2019 showed up in the second half.

William Smith at Messiah: 4-2 Messiah. Play-by-play announcers who know the Messiah program. The stream went out late in second half – it was 3-1 at the time and I went off to do other things, so I missed two goals. WS scored first, and It was a pretty even game until Messiah scored their first goal, and after that, the WS inexperienced defense was exposed. Messiah striker Rachael Tirjan (Jr, Greentown, PA) had two goals and was otherwise disruptive. Messiah central defender Esther Seeland (Sr, State College, PA) kept WS forward Julia Keogh (Sr, Toronto, ON) at bay until the 87th minute. WS played a 3-2-3-2 again. The back 3 include a So in the middle, flanked by a Fr and a Sr (who has not been a regular starter to date) and the 2 defensive mids are a Fr and Jr. In past years WS has been a 4-back team during tournament time, so they are working through a formation change and lots of new people on defense. The front 5 are as good as any in D3.

RIT at Oneonta: 1-0 RIT. No play-by-play announcers, just crowd noise and stadium announcement audio. Nice hills in the background – will be spectacular when the leaves turn. RIT got another shutout, their best striker Christine Cataldo-Smith (Jr, Yardley, PA) scored on very nice build-up in the 55th minute and the Tigers held on for the win.

Emory (UAA) at Centre (SAA): 0-0 2OT. No play-by-play announcers, just crowd noise and stadium announcement audio. Stream sputtered a little through about 60 mins, and then would just cut out and come back fairly frequently – I gave up after that. Emory’s play looked smooth and organized to me. Centre players seemed to have a height advantage. The 0-0 draw must have been frustrating for both sides.

Hardin-Simmons at Trinity (TX); 4-1 Trinity. 101 degrees at kickoff!! YouTube live feed. Play-by-play announcer with a two-camera set-up and instant replays. The main camera was in the usual midfield place above the field. The second camera was at field level located near the southwest corner. There was a good contingent of H-S fans present. The field is oriented west to east, so long shadows fell in front of the west-end goal and the east goalkeeper stared into the sun. Both teams had conference schedules in the Spring of 2021, and so they did not appear rusty. I left at halftime with the score 2-1, but enjoyed the battle on the H-S right side between forward Hayden Abor (Jr, Abilene, TX) and Trinity’s left back Ashlynn Zingelmann (So, San Antonio, TX). H-S scored after giving up an own goal and a PK.

Fitballer repped this.
  24. PlaySimple

PlaySimple Member

Sep 22, 2016
    Chicagoland
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Your point re Ivy grads or grad transfers playing a 5th year at a D3 is a consideration. That said, most of the institutions that you mentioned, Chicago, Hopkins, CM, MIT, are big research institutions, and it is somewhat surprising to see a transfer playing while in grad school due to the rigor of studies. Additionally, there are a good number of D3 schools that do not offer graduate studies and if they do, the offerings are somewhat limited.

I am aware of a transfer at UNC that previously played at a D3 school and managed to make the Tar Heels' roster. I actually thought that there would be more than a few students that played at a D3 or D2 school during undergraduate work and then started graduate coursework at a D1 school and would try to play at a D1 school due to having remaining eligiblity.

I am also aware of a few students that are at D3 schools, changed majors, and are planning on playing a 5th year due to being slightly behind in required coursework. It is very rare at the D3 level for that to happen. Most D3 schools of better than average academic quality will want their students to be done with coursework within four years.

Johns Hopkins should have a good year. We'll a good measure of the team this upcoming Wednesday when they square off vs Messiah.

C13, why does a lot of your text written with strikethroughs?

Frustrating for both sides, yes, but it had to be more frustrating for Emory. The draw is a good result for Centre. They're not the same team that they have been the past few years. They should make the tournament due to not playing in a particularly difficult conference but I would not expect them to get far in the post-season.

Fitballer and CoachJon repped this.
  25. C13soccer

C13soccer Member

Arsenal
    United States
    Aug 30, 2018
    I have no idea - tried for 10 mins to fix it…then gave up.

Hopkins and Messiah played to a 1-1 draw thru 2 OT. Hopkins dominated the stats. Messiahs goal off a 50/50 pk call to end the 1st half. Hopkins from run of play.

Fitballer and CoachJon repped this.