Divers

Discussion in 'Spain' started by JuanRojo, Oct 27, 2003.

1. JuanRojo

JuanRojo New Member

Oct 7, 2003
    Tote dived at the weekend and admitted afterwards that it wasn't a penalty. That set us debating about who the biggest divers in Spain are, the men who most drive you mad.

Early candidates:

Dani, Betis
    Torres, Atletico Madrid
    Figo and Guti, Real Madrid
    Etxeberria, Athletic Bilbao
    Juanfran, Celta

Any thoughts?

2. Excape Goat

Excape Goat Member+

Mar 18, 1999
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Ronaldino, Barcelona

3. Pichi

Pichi Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 17, 1999
    San Jose, CA
    Club:
    Real Betis
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Any Argentinian playing in Spain! With guys like that I never could figure out why Argentina have never won a gold medal in the Summer Olympics Mens Diving Competition! It must have been the East German judge who screwed them over with a bad score! They could have taught Greg Lagounis a trick or two!

Saludos y viva er beti manque lopera!

Pichi

4. Malaga CF fan

Malaga CF fan Member

Apr 19, 2000
    Fairfax, VA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've always thought that diving is one of the real detractors to the spirit of the game. I hate it. Since the competition committee in Spain reviews violent conduct (and punishes actions the referee didn't take, handing out suspensions for punches, etc...) I've always thought that handing out cards and suspensions after the match, when it is determined via videotape that a player deliberately deceived the official (clearly was never even touched in a foul), especially when it results in a pk. I wonder if it would cut down on diving at all?

Figo's a diver, but there are plenty I've seen over the years and have forgotten their names by now.

5. El Maño Nuevo

El Maño Nuevo New Member

May 9, 2003
    Zaragoza
    The extent to which diving goes on in Spain and Italy is well-known, but I have been overwhelmed by the amount of - for want of a better word - bitch-acting that goes on in an average game.

I was at Zaragoza-Valladolid recently and the level of shin-hugging was incredible. A friend and I were laughing at it, saying that the format has now become established:

The player goes down in a ball rolls over at least twice, possibly in one direction and then back again. He will then hug his shin while grimacing with eyes tightly shut. Once the free has been given or if he is being ignored, he will get up and gingerly limp for the first three or four steps, before running off as normal when the attention switches to somebody else.

Refs are not cracking down hard enough on this - they should be instructed to hand out yellow cards to all offenders.