dissapeared 20'x30' US Flag

Discussion in 'Chicago Fire' started by Brushes Sand, Oct 21, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Brushes Sand

Brushes Sand Member

Oct 12, 2000
    polychronicqatsitime

And all prior efforts asking for help have resulted in...... _____________?

I DO NOT have a chip on my shoulder. I've ponied up cash before
    for visuals, seen them lifted, and I empathize with Kirwan's situation.
    And I'm not suggesting the 30x20 was intentionally lifted.

Also, Fidlerre and anyone else is welcome to the hero's accolades from
    finding the flag.

I just want the flag found, so people like you and Flannigan and whoever
    can take it to the away games.

If the first hex date in Feb ends up being the game at Azteca for some
    reason, the 30x60 is not an option. That means, with holidays, 90 days
    tops to either find the 30x20 mk.2, or get mk.3 off ebay.

-bs

2. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Did you previously post a friendly message in the Chicago forum about it?

Perhaps you should have someone proofread your posts. Whether you intended to come across like an ass - or with a chip on your shoulder or not - you did. You started this thread confontationally - then you had the audacity to thank jaygg and others for a softer attitude while continuing to be an ass.

Just switch to decaf. The headaches will fade away as your caffeine dependence lessens.

3. Hard Karl

Hard Karl New Member

Sep 3, 2002
    WB05 Compound
    man, they're onto me. I, in fact stole the flag WITH MY MIND and sold it to Al Qaeda for three wheelbarrows of opium.

I'll start stuffing myself down the incinerator at once!

4. murtaugh29

murtaugh29 New Member

Oct 4, 2004
    roja LOCURA
    KARL SCHUSTER: Hero, Patriot. Baby!

5. genpabloescobar

Feb 17, 2002
    I'm sorry, I know this has been already commented on, but this is either the dumbest post in BigSoccer history or the most deadpan funny post in BigSoccer history. I haven't figured out which yet....

6. Bill Archer

Bill Archer BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Calling it the "baby ass flag" started a long time ago, when a bunch of BogSoccer members (including myself) pitched in money for Ed Kirwin to purchase a "big ass flag" as it was referrred to, on eBay.

Since there was already a smaller flag, it then came to be called the "baby ass flag" to distinguish it from the "big ass flag"

The whole thing is a part of American soccer lore, something which ignorant puppies like yourself ought to shut the hell up about until you know what you're talking about.

First rule of sitting at the cool kids' table: shut up and listen.

As for this whole thing, could everyone just chill out a bit here? Everybody wants the same thing, and if everyone would stop the name calling and crapola flying around (this goes for BOTH sides) maybe you could just focus on the facts.

I knwo fidlerre to be a man of his word (although he and I have a longstanding dispute that is not relevant here and wouldn't be relevant at all if he wasn't such a freaking slacker) and if he is on the case then why doesn't everyone just take a step back and get some air ?

Let's ask fid to give this thread a once-daily "ttt" until he gets an answer to his inquiry, OK?

Until then, go watch some goddam soccer and loosen up those tightie whities. Please.

Here, CHECK THIS OUT. It's more entertaining anyway.

7. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City

8. genpabloescobar

Feb 17, 2002
    Is this another "Ha ha, the Fire didn't make the playoffs shot?"

If yes, thanks a lot, jerk.
    If no, um, never mind.

9. DrBobC

DrBobC Member

Feb 28, 2004
    Burton upon Trent
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i think this is hilarious. maybe bush and kerry can use this as a campaign topic. Michael Moore could do a documentary on it.

10. GoHawks4

GoHawks4 Member

Apr 24, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I remember I helped in laying it out that day, but I had nothing to do with the clean up.

11. murtaugh29

murtaugh29 New Member

Oct 4, 2004
    roja LOCURA
    "Farfegnügen 6/93"?

12. Hard Karl

Hard Karl New Member

Sep 3, 2002
    WB05 Compound
    You're goddamn right, baby!

13. metros11

metros11 Member

Sep 11, 1999
    Highlands of NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I figured I might as well chime in. Since we all know that Fonsos is responsible for the loss of the flag, there is no need to point the finger at anyone else. What bothers me is that Fonsos actually told Monty that the flag would arrive in NE before the ES game... it never did. Some people have tried to contact Fonsos with no luck. All I'm asking out of you section 8 fans, as fellow US National Team fans, is to help out with finding the flag. I know you're not responsible, but your help is needed. I'm here in NJ, which is a far cry from Chicago, and I don't know of any way to contact this guy. If Fonsos is from your region, and some of you already know that he works for the Storm, then its obvious that some of you know him. Its also quite possible that you can talk to him in person and help clarify the situation. That is all thats asked of you, a little help. You all enjoyed the flag at the game, now please help us find it.

-Dimitri
    NJB

14. nyrmetros

nyrmetros Member

Feb 7, 2004
    Please find the BAF !

15. murtaugh29

murtaugh29 New Member

Oct 4, 2004
    roja LOCURA
    absolutely and I'll do what I am able (which I don't know what that will be). just don't think this was necessarily the way to handle it is all.

i've got jerseys to sell, after all ;)

16. copaantl98

copaantl98 Member

Apr 9, 2002
    I second that.

17. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    The BAF isn't missing.

18. fiddlestick

fiddlestick New Member

Jul 17, 2001
    The 4 8 0
    If this flag is worth as much money and emotion as it sounds and there is no formal, organized chain of custody in place to keep track of it, this is exactly what happens.
    Thank you all for killing a half hour of work for me though.

19. nyrmetros

nyrmetros Member

Feb 7, 2004
    I meant the Baby AF !! :)

20. fidlerre

fidlerre Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 10, 2000
    Central Ohio
    I received word from someone at US Soccer at the end of the day today.

They are going to ask around Monday and see if it's in their offices somewhere.

For now, how about we lock this thing? Jay?

21. Eddie26

Eddie26 Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 23, 2004
    Pittsadelphia
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Thank you so much for that Ebay ad. That's just about the funniest thing I've seen in a long time. I can't stop laughing...

22. Bill Archer

Bill Archer BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Let's say this then:

We'll give fid and Soccer House until close of business Monday to locate the Baby AF.

If that proves to be a dry hole, we will move forward to plan B. See you then.

23. gotyourback

gotyourback Member

Jul 18, 2002
    Aurora/Arlington
    I hope this isn't necessary, but if Fonsos doesn't "cooperate" in working toward a resolution through "standard diplomatic methods", then it may be necessary to 'push his buttons' such as Brushes has done with his "methodology" here.

Offer to serve him a summons inside the Chicago Storm offices; and kindly ask him the appropriate time - such as when he is in a meeting with Storm "leaders".

24. Greddy

Greddy Member

Jun 24, 2003
    Chicago
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Listen, all I know is that someone from US Soccer handed me a box. They didn't tell me what it was , or what to do with it, so I left it in the parking lot. Lord knows what happened to it after that.

25. Thomas Flannigan

Feb 26, 2001
    Chicago
    Greddy, if your post is not tongue-in-cheek (hard to tell on the Internet) you might have done us all a big favor by telling us what happened. Thank you.

When the "flag from Fonsos to Boston is lost" thread first appeared I feared the worst. Fonsos is a fan of Les Bleus and PSG, more than our national team. I didn't think he cared much about the flag.

Whether this is true or not, I emailed Ed and asked him if he would organize a replacement. He said yes, before we play Mexico. Believe me, if Ed said the hell with it I would understand completely. But I hope he says yes because national team spirit is a nascent thing in the US. You don't just push Ed out of the way and tell him we have a new lead coordinator. Remember Fonsos telling Kevin Lindstrom down in Dallas to write him a report about the support effort at the Mexico game? After what Kevin and the rest of the Texans had done in Korea and in many other places. Not a wise move, in my opinion.

Ed and the North Jersey Brigade not only got the original Baby to and from Korea but got it into the Hall of Fame. If they can pull this off again it keeps the tradition alive. And it is our flag, a flag of the people, not the ABC Corporation as our sponsor.

Andy, you are correct. The flag lost in Chicago was a replacement for the original, burned in Mexico City and resting in Oneonta. Myself, Ron Kessel and Joe Tiernan wrapped it up and got it out of Azteca, but so many other Americans rallied to protect it after hiding under it during the the flares that burned it and the deafening cheers from the Mexicans. Our flag was still there.