Dispatch Taking the Crew for Granted Too

Discussion in 'Columbus Crew' started by righthalf, Oct 23, 2003.

1. righthalf

righthalf Member

May 3, 2002
    Mr. Hunter of the Dispatch wrote an article about MLS taking CB for granted, and I am very appreciate on the article.

But wait a minute, don't Dispatch has been taking the Crew for granted too. I am talking about the Crew coverage in Dispatch compared to the Blue Jacket. The numbers of attendance per game are similar between the two teams, but the number of coverages of the BJ are much more higher and more in the front sport page than the Crew. As a previous daily Dispatch subscriber for several years, I have notice the disparity for all those years.

Mirrow to the Dispatch sport team, please.

2. Zak

Zak Member

Feb 18, 2002
    Massive Club
    who cares about newspaper coverage when you have your own channel.

3. Grouchy

Grouchy Member+

Evil
    Apr 18, 1999
    Canal Winchester
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    To be fair, NHL tickets are more expensive and they play a lot more games. I imagine the total gate from a BJ event would be larger than the Crew's. Also, Nationwide Arena is limited to about 20K, the Crew about 22.5 to 24K, so they literally cannot pull larger numbers than the Crew potentially could. I would imagine if there was a 35K capacity they would sell that out for games vs Pittsburgh or Detroit.

If you want to yank the media, it should be for to providing adequate coverage weighted on the fact the Crew pull (realistically) 15K per game and should be considered a sporting event worthy of coverage.

4. Eggy

Eggy New Member

May 28, 1999
    CBUS
    If we won the MLS Cup then they'd take notice.

5. Bill Archer

Bill Archer BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Re: Dispatch Taking the Crew for Granted Too

I'd be happy to get as much coverage as the local crappy-ass triple A baseball team.

6. hangthadj

hangthadj Member+

A.S. Roma
    Mar 27, 2001
    Zone 14
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    They average about an article a day, which I think is fair. It's the quality of the articles that are poor.

7. Eggy

Eggy New Member

May 28, 1999
    CBUS
    True...maybe we should put pressure on the writers to come up with good stuff.

Then again the Crew have the most unimaginitive answers to everything.

8. hangthadj

hangthadj Member+

A.S. Roma
    Mar 27, 2001
    Zone 14
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    All I really ask is report what is seen in training. Who may start, who's banged up. Is there a change in formations. Who looks good, etc...

I eman did any of us know last week that BMB wasn't gonna start cause of a virus. Was that even mentioned in any articles?

9. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Or the fact that this virus was going around the entire team?

10. Tyree

Tyree Member

Dec 29, 1998
    Columbus, Ohio
    I hope its not the Aids...

or ebola...

11. Eggy

Eggy New Member

May 28, 1999
    CBUS
    I want more than injury reports and prospected lin-ups. I want backroom drama , players owning up to how *#*#*#*# they played, etc

damn...phone..

12. scott tann

scott tann New Member

Mar 30, 2002
    columbus, OH
    i would GLADLY do all practice reports, more in-depth coverage, etc if i could afford to quit what we in soccer media circles call our "real jobs."

as it stands now, all i can do is write match reports and opine on the league from time to time. which is OK by me, in fact, i enjoy it.

i'd write two pieces a day if i were salaried.

do any of you remember when i was writing two pre-season reports per week in at internetsoccer.com? it wasn't much money, but at least it paid for groceries. those were the days. damn internet economy bubble-burst.

i stick to the internet for almost all my soccer news. even my world soccer magazine is out of date by the time i receive it -- but the interviews and photos are good.

13. Sneever Flion

Sneever Flion New Member

Oct 29, 2002
    Detroit, MI
    You're so English.