News: Disparity in judging posters needs to be addressed.

Discussion in 'Customer Service' started by Rebaño_Sagrado, Oct 21, 2009.

1. dark knight

dark knight Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    Nor should homophobia or other forms of bigotry. From what little I've seen of your forum recently you guys have some work to do on your own house.

Not sure what you mean by "gets to post anti-Mexico remarks" - I told Bill that what he said, even if meant it tongue in cheek, is not okay and would be at least a yellow card, which is how I deal with any of those kind of remarks in the forums I moderate. We don't tolerate any kind of bigoted comments there - including homophobia - and we don't encourage our members to view other groups as racists or otherwise encourage hostilities across the rivalry.

If you mean the anti-Mexico remarks he's made in his blog, I'm all for someone to stick it to the US. I think Bill probably rips the US as well, but I realize that's not what you mean. And you might have to get in line behind Canada. But like I said, I'm not involved in the Blogger content or selection process -- if you have a candidate of a good Blogger, by all means let me know and I'll pass it along. Has his blogging been particularly anti-Mexico? I haven't seen that.

2. Prawn Sandwich

Oct 1, 2003
    Bhutan
    Um, no it doesn't.

Irrational hyperbole doesn't help you make your case.

3. Rebaño_Sagrado

Rebaño_Sagrado Member+

May 21, 2006
    Home
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Where were you the day everyone thought the word "limey" was a racial slur?

And here is a rep message from a mod I got that day.

4. Otaku

Otaku Member+

Dec 9, 2003
    Club:
    CDSC Cruz Azul
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    If the situation you are referring to is the one I am thinking about TTM handled it. Other than that I don't know what your talking about.

he can post as he wishes, people have expressed their dislike because of his history, which you know about apparently because of the Canada comment.

The front page blogger is a very public position and like the Mods should be held at a certain standard. I don't know if you deal directly with that but thought I would tell you since you are an Admin.

5. Prawn Sandwich

Oct 1, 2003
    Bhutan
    I was advising the other mods that it was so mild as to be irrelevant. Evidently you've missed how not a single poster has been infracted for using that term (which you are still free to use now)

EDIT - to answer your comment about the rep message that was prior to my advising them on how the term limey should be handled in the forum

6. Rebaño_Sagrado

Rebaño_Sagrado Member+

May 21, 2006
    Home
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    You seem to be missing the point.

I don't disagree with the way Alex mods WR because there is a line that shouldn't be crossed which the Crew mods feel their forums should.

7. Prawn Sandwich

Oct 1, 2003
    Bhutan
    The point is your claim that WR is more strictly moderated than the Crew forum is patently false.

Stick to your initial point on Archer and his blog, you were making more sense then

8. dark knight

dark knight Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    I'm referring to the use of bigoted homophobic slurs and other abusive commentary I have read in your forum. In my opinion, it hurts ones credibility on these issues (not necessarily speaking about you) when comments like the one towards appoo, or homophobic slurs seem fairly unchecked.

Not sure how you get from my Canada comment that he can post as he chooses. No one has ever asked me to treat him differently because he's a blogger - and he has been infracted in the past. I will, however, raise your question about whether bloggers should be treated to the same standard as mods. I think the roles are different and we mods shouldn't be handing out infractions for things we ourselves do, but it's still something we can discuss.

9. Otaku

Otaku Member+

Dec 9, 2003
    Club:
    CDSC Cruz Azul
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    homophobic? that's rare. Anti-american? I'll admit that is common. And the same thing could be said for the US forums.

Here it is in a nicely packaged montage :D
    https://www.bigsoccer.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1133658

I'm assuming none of those posts were infracted.

I try and stay out of the flaming and trolling, like I said its their forum. Let them think and act the way they want, no one is forcing me to go over there. Same thing when they come to ours, don't complain about strict guidelines.

What I meant about the Canada is he has a posting history that has brought many complaints.

Yes, I believe that the front page bloggers should be held to a higher standard. Its really the fact that they are featured as "Big Soccer Bloggers" unless I am mistaken. With that title I think come some responsibility, at least that is my humble opinion.

10. Alex_1

Alex_1 Member

Mar 29, 2002
    Zürich
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    woah woah woah - let's leave WR out of this one. It's like the negative, dark incarcerated relative to Beautiful game/FIFA. But since it was brought up, I have a soap-box! It goes to what Foosinho stated - different moderators and different forums by and large work differently. The Crew forum lives and breathes a certain way, and the moderators there understand it - it's even different than a NY or DC forum. WR isn't that strict. It tries to be 'open', relatively speaking, anyone. There are people from all over there that by & large say the things they sometimes wish they could say in another. Inclusive- yes. For 'everyone'? Probably not. There are still a couple of caveats which bring it (albeit loosely) in line with the site that we try to adhere to. racism/bigotry is one of them. And with so many different people there, it's always going to be a challenge.

The 'limey' term I was told held a negative connotation beyond what I'd originally thought. It was good because it opened up a dialogue and we sorted out if it was offensive or not thanks to PS, Prenn, Clan, TTM and others. It's out of respect to you & the regulars that we'll tend to give you or any of them the benefit of the doubt and open up dialogue rather than instantly going for bans, infractions. It wouldn't have been fair IMO. And that was positive rep. ;)

But yeah, other forums may be strict so as to foster an environment for the regulars there. And the mods of them can't always catch everything & since we tend to be in our own worlds, may not see some things the same way. So just report a post & it'll be reviewed. Whatever decisions made is coming from their experience dealing with the forum/users/posters, and even admin.

11. appoo

appoo Member+

Jul 30, 2001
    USA
    correct, no USA mod has infracted any of the posts in that thread.

12. Foosinho

Foosinho New Member

Jan 11, 1999
    New Albany, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Look, I've tried to engage you in some honest discussion about something that, quite frankly, most people have little understanding or appreciation for unless they've been a moderator. IMO - and I bet most of the long-time moderators here would agree - the Crew forum has historically been one of the toughest forums to moderate.

I've said my piece, and if you'd rather construct strawmen about how I "have no problem with [my] own teams players being attacked with racism" than engage me honestly, that's your business. I'll just go ahead an unsubscribe now.

But before I go, let me leave while saying this: if any user were to issue the 7 letter derogatory phrase implying immigrants who swam the Rio to get here in my forum... they'd be slapped with the banhammer so hard they'd end up in the Pegasus Galaxy.

13. Perndog2006

Perndog2006 Member+

Jul 24, 2006
    Nery Nut Ryder
    Club:
    CF Rayados de Monterrey
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    :D.

14. It's called FOOTBALL

LMX Clubs
    Mexico
    May 4, 2009
    Chitown
    Well, I'm the same way, and yet, here I am with yet another yellow card next to my name. Maybe everybody should have ignored me since I tried to offend. It's everyone else's fault, not mine right? :rolleyes:

Anyway, in regards to your moderating style, you basically admit that you are lenient to Crew fans because you fear a Crew fan backlash. In other words, you give in to peer pressure. That's not in adherence to the Terms of Service. You're supposed to enforce the rules, regardless of whether you get 1000 PMs saying "come on, he's one of us! That's just the way he is!"

15. It's called FOOTBALL

LMX Clubs
    Mexico
    May 4, 2009
    Chitown
    Can you post a link that clearly defines which words are phrases are absolutely, 100% forbidden on this site? And which are permissable?

The problem with all of these arguments here is that the rules are not clearly defined. They should be black and white, not muddy shades of gray. Let's not leave anything up to interpretation anymore, otherwise we'll be having arguments like these forever.

16. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Run the Crew forum with an iron fist?

Yeah, that was tried.

And failed.

17. sidspaceman

sidspaceman Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 20, 2002
    AMÉRICA DE CALI
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Just so you know the Mexico forum also has a huge double standered. We let the regulars get away with a lot more then we let visitors.
    If the word is auto-censored then you should know that you can't use it.

18. Alberto

Alberto Member+

Feb 28, 2000
    Northern, New Jersey
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

This is ridiculous coming from this poster. Perndog you are a troll. You knee jerk react to anyone coming into the Mexican forum and immediately negative rep their posts if you think they are not a fan of Mexico.

I have never trolled on the Mexican forum. I don't know what your issue is, but you clearly have a bias towards me and others.

19. Alberto

Alberto Member+

Feb 28, 2000
    Northern, New Jersey
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is wrong, moderation must be applied fairly to all posters. You also routinely allow some of your worst posters to get away with way too much without infracting them for clear terms of service violations for example perndog.

20. Alberto

Alberto Member+

Feb 28, 2000
    Northern, New Jersey
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Go back and read the posts I made in the Mexican forum and tell me if they constitute trolling? They were not, but somehow in your brain they are. Care to respond to that?

21. Alberto

Alberto Member+

Feb 28, 2000
    Northern, New Jersey
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Now that poses a big problem does it not. What to do? I side with the lets hope people react in a civil manner to a critical post and that people can discern a troll from a constructive and honest post.

22. Alberto

Alberto Member+

Feb 28, 2000
    Northern, New Jersey
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ok, so in the above and in your previous post we come to the heart of your issue. It's not trolls, but Bill Archer.

23. TallTowerMan

TallTowerMan Member+

Apr 8, 2007
    SoCal
    Club:
    Club Tijuana
    Nat'l Team:
    China PR
    Alberto, this post would have carried a lot more credibility had you also quoted Foosinho, who essentially said the same thing.

Forum Mods across BigSoccer typically bin or delete trolling posts. Regular users do not have access to those posts.

24. It's called FOOTBALL

LMX Clubs
    Mexico
    May 4, 2009
    Chitown
    I haven't seen any Mexican posters make comments like the ones Bill Archer has. Archer stereotyped Mexicans as day laborers. That's not much different from stereotyping blacks as slaves. If any poster made a slavery comment on any African-American footballer, you know that'd be an automatic red.

25. appoo

appoo Member+

Jul 30, 2001
    USA
    I can't believe, you, of all people, said that.