Disneys land and world

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by superdave, Aug 21, 2023.

1. Mike03

Mike03 Member

Jun 7, 2006
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Anybody seen the TV show The Bear? I just watched Season 2 episode, "Fishes", last night and it's a tour de force representation of the dysfunctional family holiday dinner. Great show!

2. raza_rebel

raza_rebel Member+

Dec 11, 2000
    Club:
    Univ de Chile
    #102 raza_rebel, Jun 17, 2024
    Last edited: Jun 17, 2024
    Update:

We talked with everyone going to WDW/Thanksgiving trip this past weekend. Before we got an opportunity to frame anything out (which was the point of the conversation), the BIL was discussing the itinerary and what parks we were going to, day-to-day. They pretty much have their (and everyone else's) schedule penciled in. After the BIL spoke for about 4-5 minutes (uninterrupted), I let them know that we were going to an afterhours event (Mickey's Christmas party) and we were going to 3 restaurants they did not mention. One of those restaurants is in Epcot and that means we need to be there that day.

They did not expect this and were shocked/stunned. After some hemming and hawing, the BIL recovered and mumbled that they didn't know if that could be fit into the schedule. I pointed out that no park tickets have been bought and the Christmas party tickets have not been made available by Disney. Therefore, everything is still in flux.

Long story short, round 2 for us.

SIDENOTE: One interesting thing I found out was the BIL/SIL side are flying there. Although this seems rather blase (deciding to fly), it is a big deal. For the entire time I have know my wife, I was under the impression SIL was unable to fly due to an inner ear problem. My wife thought the same. So every time we have all gone on a family vacation (Maine, Shenandoah, Orlando), we have had to drive two cars -- with the second car packed with stuff. Either the MIL or wife's car loaded down. And when you ask why they can't put their stuff in their car or cut down on what they are bringing (even before they had kids), you would get a long-winded explanation of why, but you could cut it down to: we don't want to. So now I find out that this was a choice and we have been used as a porter has me feeling a type of way.

It takes 2 days to get from NoVa to Orlando. Flights are 2 and 1/2 hours.

This new bit of info made me "forget" that my older sister decided to join us for WDW/Thanksgiving. Actually, let me back up. My niece's gf extended her stay with the Disney internship program. This goes past the original deadline and there is incentive for her to go. She is still sore about how everything went down but isn't going to let it stop her. I am going to wait a few weeks and let the BIL/SIL regroup before throwing another spanner in the works for tickets and meals.

roby repped this.
  3. rslfanboy

rslfanboy Member+

Jul 24, 2007
    Section 26
    You have them on the ropes! Go in for the kill!!!!

superdave, roby and Mike03 repped this.
  4. Smurfquake

Smurfquake Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2000
    San Carlos, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wow. That is something. I can only imagine the type of way you're feeling about that. I mean, it could be relief, that your sister in law's inner ear condition has been cured. That's a feeling.

The Jitty Slitter repped this.
  5. roby

roby Member+

SIRLOIN SALOON FC, PITTSFIELD MA
    Feb 27, 2005
    So Cal
    I hear you man! I endured 40 yrs with a cantankerous M-I-L except she was always pissed and I didn't give a shit! :whistling:

6. raza_rebel

raza_rebel Member+

Dec 11, 2000
    Club:
    Univ de Chile
    It's a Christmas miracle

chaski and The Jitty Slitter repped this.
  7. The Jitty Slitter

The Jitty Slitter Moderator
    Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    the car loading thing is bonkers

8. roadkit

roadkit Greetings from the Fringe of Obscurity

Jul 2, 2003
    Fornax Cluster
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is developing into an awesome Telenovela. I can't wait for the next episode.

Stay strong -- you've got this!

9. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    This gives me PTSD

A good defuser is to make them submit their proposal in email first. I know that seems crazy for family/friends but so many times you get roped into a stitchup where they worked out all the plans back channel then "present" them in the group

Most times when someone starts doing this I leave the meeting these days

rslfanboy repped this.
  10. raza_rebel

raza_rebel Member+

Dec 11, 2000
    Club:
    Univ de Chile
    I have a friend who has an inner ear issue and found out when he boarded a plan for the first time for 3 weeks to Portugal. I was told is painful and his hearing diminished for a day or two. It went away on its own. I naturally assumed this was the same case. So when I was told she spent a semester abroad, I did not question it.

This is another example of having to accommodate the BIL/SIL until we just end up doing whatever they tell us. We used to tease them about them bringing so much stuff, but now it makes me wonder if the inner ear thing is legit or an excuse for them to bring more things. Because there have been conversations about why we couldn't fly and meet them there.

The Jitty Slitter repped this.
  11. raza_rebel

raza_rebel Member+

Dec 11, 2000
    Club:
    Univ de Chile
    #111 raza_rebel, Jul 5, 2024
    Last edited: Jul 5, 2024
    UPDATE:

So we bought tickets to the Disney Christmas party. This went off without much fanfare. Although, I told the SIL/BIL that we were looking to buy tickets for the day after Thanksgiving, but I bought tickets for Tuesday, two days before. I have no idea why I did that, mostly just to mess with them. The wife did text the weekend prior and asked everyone (SIL, BIL, MIL) if there were any conflicts if we bought tickets to the party. No one objected. I think she did this partly out of habit of deferring to the SIL/BIL, partly to avoid any conflict, but mostly because this may genuinely ruin any meaningful plans.

Everyone already knew about my sister and her family coming that week. My niece and her gf live in Orlando but more importantly my sister and MIL are friends. The both talk on the regular and neither one cannot keep any secret...in any capacity. We will cross that bridge (dinner) when we get to it.

A few things I learned about this experience:
    • My wife reaching out to communicate with the SIL/BIL. Deferring to them is very ingrained in the wife and MIL.
    • Having said that, I am not the only person who feels my side of the family got shafted. Both the MIL and wife feel the same. I was just the only person who said anything. My sisters put out multiple options only for SIL/BIL to reject them and ask them to come up with different plans. They did not offer any suggestions, just said yes/no, this will/won't work. I did not realize it until everything was said and done and I processed the group chat afterwards.
    • The BIL has more input on family vacations than the SIL. The SIL has all the influence, but BIL dictates the influence. So this is a proxy war.
    • After space from the situation, the whole thing seems silly. Resentment is corrosive.
    My wife observed something that I recently noticed in the last year or so. The SIL/BIL keep asking these "minor" requests until they get what want. At yesterday's 4th of July party, there was a general agreement beforehand about the cookout. We had a standard menu of July 4th cookout food for 2pm. By the time I was standing over the grill, it was a 4:30ish cookout of mostly Beyond Meat sausages to replace all the hot dogs, but actual hamburger meat. It was because they were going to a friends house first and another friend's for fireworks after we ate.

I don't mind the Beyond Meat, but the grill is large enough where we could accommodate meat and Beyond Meat (with aluminum foil put down to avoid contamination). But we had to put the foil down AND cook the Beyond Meat first even though I was using separate utensils to handle the meat/non-meat. And once they had their fill, they were gone in 15-20 minutes. This is pretty typical. They usually breeze in, offer little help, and leave once the main part is over (Easter dinner, Christmas present exchanges, you get the idea).

12. raza_rebel

raza_rebel Member+

Dec 11, 2000
    Club:
    Univ de Chile
    #112 raza_rebel, Jul 5, 2024
    Last edited: Jul 5, 2024
    My wife brought this up a few weeks ago. When we were planning our wedding, one option we strongly considered was a destination wedding. In fact, it was our first option when destination weddings were still in vogue. We were deep into dinner and room rate choices (Belize) when my MIL reminded us about the SIL's inner ear problem and how if we wanted to have the SIL's family there, a destination wedding would be out of the question. No doubt the SIL was leaning on the MIL, even though it was all our money. So we had our wedding in NoVa. It was still beautiful and wouldn't change anything because we were still married.

I did a back-of-the-envelope guesstimate of having a wedding and reception in NoVa versus a destination wedding in Placencia, Belize. For the same price, we could have covered all expenses for 11–13ish people (23–25 people came to our NoVa wedding) and had the top-tier wedding package in Belize. We lost a few months of planning, and (again) point out that we paid for everything. So when the SIL's inner ear problem flares up depending on the situation, relief is not the first emotion that comes to mind.

rslfanboy and Dr. Wankler repped this.
  13. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    Dude - seriously - get new family :laugh:

14. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    If they aren't vegetarian for specific medical reasons, they can eat what I cook or bring their own. I will make accommodations for nice, apologetic vegetarians but none for people who try to normalize it.

15. raza_rebel

raza_rebel Member+

Dec 11, 2000
    Club:
    Univ de Chile
    #115 raza_rebel, Jul 15, 2024
    Last edited: Jul 15, 2024
    It's a package deal.

Also, apologies for thread jacking and thank you for letting me vent.

16. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    I am sure many of us can sympathise ;)