Disneys land and world

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by superdave, Aug 21, 2023.

1. superdave

superdave BigSoccer Yellow Card

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Please discuss theme parks here, you low attention span mofos.

Smurfquake repped this.
  2. Smurfquake

Smurfquake Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2000
    San Carlos, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not sure how old your kids are, but you'll probably find that Disneyland is more about the atmosphere than the rides themselves.

There's a lot of princess stuff. A lot. Stores with princess outfits for sale, and girls wearing said princess outfits whose goal is to meet as many princesses as possible in the character meetups. Having a boy child, I never had to deal with character meetups at Disneyland (although he did make us wait in line to meet Optimus Prime at Universal Studios one time. Worth it. I wanted to wait for the next character to show up - Megatron - I was going to offer to sell out Planet Earth to him, but my kid didn't want to wait any more, so you can thank him that we're not ruled by Decepticons today.), but for the princess-focused, their families have to investigate how to most efficiently meet a princess or two. You may be exempted from this requirement if your kids aren't super into the princesses.

The rides do a pretty good job of setting the atmosphere. There's stuff to keep you entertained while you wait in line, which is good because the lines are long - Star Tours has a couple of different areas with Star Wars themed screens and talking droids and stuff. Buzz Lightyear ride has Buzz Lightyear stuff if that's of interest to you. The newest "lands" - Star Wars land in Disneyland, and the Avengers Campus in California Adventure - are very well themed - the Star Wars land is a hike from the entrance but by the time you get there it feels like a Star Wars planet, and all the staff say "bright suns" or something instead of "hi". Avengers Campus has pretty frequent appearances by actors in superhero outfits, you might see Black Widow or one of the Dora Milaje walking around. The lines for the attractions in those areas were insanely long last summer, but you still get a pretty good feel just by walking around.

For classic well-known Disneyland stuff, Pirates of the Caribbean has been pretty much ruined by plastering Johnny Depp's face all over the ride. The Haunted Mansion will probably be in Christmas mode in November, which is annoying. My kid is too old for all the Fanatasyland stuff like Mr Toad and Alice in Wonderland and such, but it's still there and probably still works for smaller kids.

I think the FastPass stuff is now a paid option, which is going to get super expensive with a big group. Last summer, it was just two of us so I paid whatever it took to get us to skip the longest lines - the Star Wars immersive thing had a three hour wait but you can pay $20 or $30 per person to only wait 20-30 minutes instead of three hours. There was a similar Spider-Man ride over in Avengers Campus which you can also pay to skip the line. I'm not suggesting that for your family, because with grandparents plus you and your siblings and spouses and however many kids, that's unreasonable, so pick your battles and enjoy what you can.

usscouse, luftmensch and Mike03 repped this.
  3. Mike03

Mike03 Member

Jun 7, 2006
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    After years of resistance I accompanied my family to one exhausting day at Disneyland. My wife planned it out so we could hit as many rides / attractions as possible with some app with a reservation feature and extra cash splurged on something called a Fast Pass to get in shorter lines. I felt like a dbag skipping past hot and sweaty queues giving us the stink eye but we did pack in a lot. The food was garbage.

4. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Auburn got hosed in the Elite Eight a few years back

5. Val1

Val1 Member+

Arsenal
    Mar 12, 2004
    MD's Eastern Shore
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Wrong Dave thread. This is the Disney thread.

6. Val1

Val1 Member+

Arsenal
    Mar 12, 2004
    MD's Eastern Shore
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    And no, they didnt.

7. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I get it. UVA fan or alum. The ACC gets all kinds of calls, but that non-call was egregious and you know it.

They need to be glad the miscegenator-by-force Thomas Jefferson is associated with the campus, I guess.

8. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    <shrugs>

How much does this really matter?

9. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No one will ever convince me that LMU in 1990 didn't have a chance except UNLV. Had Ball St. beaten UNLV, LMU would have had a shot.

Chesco United repped this.
  10. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Of course they had a chance. They had the same chance everybody else had that year (and the next, unless your school had payola for Tark). Which was next to none.

Part of me loves that team for being so much fun to watch, and part of me hates them (well, the 1991 version) for allowing Duke in the door. Tank the final, idiots. Beat the right-winger in the semis.

11. roby

roby Member+

SIRLOIN SALOON FC, PITTSFIELD MA
    Feb 27, 2005
    So Cal
    This convo is interesting....somebuddy send out for pizza! :)

song219 repped this.
  12. luftmensch

luftmensch Member+

United States
    May 4, 2006
    Petaluma
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Back in the day when I lived in SoCal we would always take the monorail over to the Disneyland hotel for our big meal. Last time we went almost 15 years ago we did the same, but to Downtown Disney, which didn’t exist previously. The food in the park has always been pretty crappy.

On that semi-recent visit we took my 7-year-old son who’s never given two shits about Disney, or rides in general, and it felt like a complete waste of money. His favorite things were the Star Wars show and Tom Sawyer’s Island (props to him for the latter, always loved that place as a kid).

Part of me was bummed he didn’t get more into it, but it’s sure saved us a lot of money not having a kid begging us to go all the time. We know other people who make the trip every year. No thanks.

Mike03 repped this.
  13. raza_rebel

raza_rebel Member+

Dec 11, 2000
    Club:
    Univ de Chile
    I know this is Disneyworld, but...
    I wasn't a big Disney fan until I met my wife, whose family turned into a Disney fan because her sister took an internship there. I wasn't expecting much but it took me by surprise how completely immersive the lands are. What also surprised me was the food, especially at Epcot. I was expecting meh park food but Epcot was really good. There were lumpias somewhere (Avatar land or whatever it is called) that wasn't very good but I was comparing it to my neighbor a few doors down who are Filipinos.

The sit-down restaurants are also a lot better than I expected. I thought that I would be treated to Applebee's/TGI Friday's/Ruby Tuesdays level, but it was loads better than that.

luftmensch repped this.
  14. The Jitty Slitter

The Jitty Slitter Moderator
    Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    I’d rather drink curdled cats piss than post in a Dave thread

xtomx and Auriaprottu repped this.
  15. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    lol

16. superdave

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Or they just lost.

The year before, a good-not-great Georgia Tech team gave them a good run.

17. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    The year before, they hadn't yet won a national title.
    They tried to play with the spread and it bit them in the ass. Or they were paid to lose.

18. superdave

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    or they lost.

Duke 1992 was almost as good and had TWO close calls the next year.

19. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Well, we KNOW they lost. I seem to be the only one who knows WHY.

I know you're running out of self-belief when you stop quoting me. It's taken longer than it should have.

20. Val1

Val1 Member+

Arsenal
    Mar 12, 2004
    MD's Eastern Shore
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I agree.

World Showcase is great. And some of the top flight restaurants are fabulous, even amongst my foodie friends.

usscouse and raza_rebel repped this.
  21. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I haven't listened to Sleater-Kinney in a while.

song219, luftmensch and Dr. Wankler repped this.
  22. yossarian

yossarian Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 16, 1999
    Big City Blinking
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A lot of poor ref calls in that semi-final game. Greg Anthony's fifth foul was a joke, as was his fourth. If he stays on the floor, Dook doesn't win.

Auriaprottu repped this.
  23. American Brummie

Jun 19, 2009
    There Be Dragons Here
    Club:
    Birmingham City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Disneyland Paris is in the top ten Disney theme parks in the world. The number one reason for DeSantis to be an asshole is he never got to go to Disneyworld as a kid. It's the best.

usscouse repped this.
  24. Sounders78

Sounders78 Member+

Apr 20, 2009
    Olympia
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    I drove on Sleater-Kinney a few months ago. It's actually quite close to Kasey Keller Drive.

25. usscouse

usscouse BigSoccer Supporter

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    What does any of that have to do with that mess of deep dish pizza? When thin crust Hawaiian is the way to go.
    Try and focus man. :(

song219 and roby repped this.