Dish Network Vs. Direct TV

Discussion in 'Business and Media' started by Brunsen, Feb 16, 2004.

1. Brunsen

Brunsen Member

Feb 16, 2004
    In a far off land
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Sorry if this has already been discussed online. However, within the next week I plan on getting either Direct TV or Dish Network. Being that I am married to a Spanish women and have an affinity for football, which system should I go with? Just observing the many packages available, it appears that Dish Network has more variety.. Univision, Galavision, Telemundo, Telefutre, Gol TV, FSW ESP, ect ..ect.

What should I expect in the way of football matches with each? Does goal tv broadcast La Liga?

Anyone with some insight please post..thank you in advance

PS. does anyone know who has the rights to broadcast Euro 2004 here in the states?

2. kevruth

kevruth Member

May 30, 2001
    Perrysburg, Ohio, US
    Dish Network is the only way to go. Here's the leagues you get that are all with English commentaries:

Fox Sports World:

English Premier League
    German Bundesliga
    Dutch Eredivisie
    French Ligue 1
    Argentine League
    Brazilian League

Gol TV:

Spain's La Liga
    Italy's Serie A
    Columbian League
    Ecuador League
    Some Mexican League
    Various Other Latin American Leagues

All in all, Gol TV is what gives Dish Network the nod over DirecTV. Besides, Dish Network has the exclusive rights to Gol TV for satellite for at least the next year so DirecTV won't have it for quite awhile.

3. Brunsen

Brunsen Member

Feb 16, 2004
    In a far off land
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Kevruth, thanks for your time.

As for Gala, Uni, TeleF, Telemundo, what leagues/events do they broadcast? I know telefutre(sp?) had rights to last years Confederations Cup.

4. kevruth

kevruth Member

May 30, 2001
    Perrysburg, Ohio, US
    I couldn't help you there. I don't speak a bit of spanish except for "Gooooooaaaaaallllll". Sorry.

5. obernunes

obernunes New Member

Feb 16, 2004
    California
    These networks focus primarily on Mexico. They do have some coverage of MLS and international competitions (World Cup, Copa America and the differnt North American/Caribean cups).

If you're looking for more, they don't have much.

6. obernunes

obernunes New Member

Feb 16, 2004
    California
    For those who speak other languages or just want to watch football and don't care about understanding, Dish also offers many international channels with football, including RAI (Italy), TV5 (France), TVGlobo (Brazil) and ARTTV (arabic).

Dish can't be beat for football/soccer.

7. TheImposter

TheImposter Member

Jun 15, 2002
    Centerville, OH
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've been thinking about moving from my digital cable to a dish, probably DishNetwork because of GolTV. I have a couple of questions for those in the know:

Weather interference -- I've heard that you can experience degradation or loss of signal with heavy rain or snow. I live in the midwest, where we can get both with regularity. Complete myth, occasional brief annoyance, or significant factor?

I'm bothered by the phrase I keep seeing -- "free standard installation". What exactly is "standard installation"? Does that mean that it's free if they don't need to run the wire through a wall, or if you put the set on the roof right next to the dish? I had a friend tell me that her DirecTV installers wanted to run the cable into the house through an open window. Any installation horror stories?

Don't mean to hijack the thread, but I'd appreciate any input. Thanks!

8. JimmieLivealot

JimmieLivealot New Member

Oct 22, 2002
    Austin, TX

9. Brook

Brook BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 13, 2001
    Cleveland
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    TheImposter--Interference is not a myth, but it's a much smaller problem than what people say. I live in Cleveland and have had only very brief "blackouts" (for lack of a better word) in the 4 years I've had the Dish. Occurs in HEAVY rain. Nothing major. "Standard installation"? My installer did it very professionally, locating the cable input and just pulled cable's and ran the Dish's through the same spot, after concealing it coming down from the roof. Love the Dish.

10. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It depends on the install. If the installer aims it well and tightens everything down really well, it shouldn't be a problem at all. I lose satellite signal for a grand total of one hour a year, and that's in north Texas, where bad weather usually means BAD weather.

That being said, the quality of the install is a major issue. Most installs are done by subcontractors who may or may not hire the best people or have such a high commitment to quality. It's pretty much what you'd expect from a cable TV installer or a phone company technician or whatever. You might get a good installer, you might not.
    Well, generally it means, "putting the dish on the roof and getting the cable through the wall to the TV in the easiest way possible."

Here where I live, the cable company uses two cables (an A cable and a B cable), so when I had my dish installed, the installer just unhooked the cable company's lines into my house and hooked in the cables from the satellite. Done. He checked with me first, though.

If you want a little bit more elaborate of an install, like running cables through the attic or mounting the dish on a chimney, they'll charge you a few extra bucks.

11. TheImposter

TheImposter Member

Jun 15, 2002
    Centerville, OH
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks, all, you pretty much answered my questions. I've had it with Time-Warner. Love the cable internet access, but for the programming I want, and to have digital on multiple TV's, it looks like DishNetwork is a better deal. Thanks!

12. Brunsen

Brunsen Member

Feb 16, 2004
    In a far off land
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Well, as I now have Dish Network I would like to thank all of you in my attempt to find the right dish. So far so good as the picture quality is superb and options endless...

13. Brunsen

Brunsen Member

Feb 16, 2004
    In a far off land
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Now I just have to figure out this dvr as I will be at the office tomorrow and would hate to miss the nederlands y united states.

14. Groverboy

Groverboy Member

Mar 6, 2003
    The Triangle, NC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If it's not too late, I just wanted to suggest that you order service directly from Dish Network, and not through a local retailer. Chances are they'll get a technician from a local retailer to do the install, but you won't get stuck with any of that retailer's "hidden" fees.

15. fdp

fdp Red Card

Oct 24, 2001
    I am so ready to get rid of my cable TV service which happens to be Charter Communictions.

I am leaning towards Dish Network.

I was going to ask the question of who I should buy the system from to get the best deal and installation but I think you have answered my question already.

16. TheImposter

TheImposter Member

Jun 15, 2002
    Centerville, OH
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks for the info. I had already ordered by the time I saw this, but I ended up just doing it on DishNetwork's website. I get my dish March 5, and I'm really looking forward to it.