Dish merger with DirecTV?

Discussion in 'TV, Satellite & Radio' started by Kryptonite, Feb 21, 2020.

1. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Over the past few days, I've seen some stuff pop up about Dish wanting to merge with DirecTV.

This is peculiar, considering AT&T owns DirecTV and has no more plans to launch any more satellites.

Also, a merger between Dish and DirecTV was denied a few years ago.

So what say you all? Is Charlie Ergen out of his mind?

2. Lovac1

Lovac1 Member

Jun 6, 2012
    Cable numbers are down. Same with satellite tv. I don’t think ATT cares much about Directv, and very soon, they will lose the Sunday ticket, which will reduce the numbers further. I don’t think Directv will make it as part of ATT, so further consolidation makes sense here.

3. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I ordered Sunday Ticket premium or plus or whatever it's called (with Redzone and Fantasy Zone) last year via the app. I used an address which most certainly wasn't mine and paid via some sort of Google or third-party option.

I don't have DirecTV. My address would force me into DirecTV Sunday Ticket. I was surprised how easy it was to order via the "gray market."

I can see future AT&T options being:
    The Android boxes (Honestly, they should have kept this under the U-Verse name. It's only slightly confusing to have AT&T TV and AT&T Watch TV or TV Now or whatever it is.)

The "skinny" option without the Android boxes.

The remnants of U-Verse for as long as their grandfathered customers are allowed to keep it.

Maybe DirecTV if they keep it.

4. Redbullsnation2012

May 26, 2010
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I've been hearing about this since I was a kid. I don't think it's going to happen anytime soon. Only shot is if ATT decides to spin off DTV...

5. Gyro62

Gyro62 Member

Jan 1, 2017
    All I know is that the Sunday Ticket with DIRECTV is almost flawless, and I don't think they will lose it, they might lose exclusivity.
    Sunday ticket online will be plagued by the same issues I read about with all other sports streaming like Bein Connect, etc.
    If there is a way for DIRECTV and Dish Network to join forces it would benefit people like me that like quality broadcasting that can be enjoyed on large screens, don't like to watch sports or movies on laptops, phones or tablets.

6. drt2k3

drt2k3 Member

Jul 1, 2005
    Wilmington, NC
    Club:
    Wilmington H.
    AT&T has a lot of debt. Selling DirecTV would help pay that debt and with the launch of AT&T TV, DirecTV isnt really needed

7. Gyro62

Gyro62 Member

Jan 1, 2017
    AT&T does have a lot of debt but DIRECTV is very profitable, at least for now.