Discussion of 97’s-00’s

Discussion in 'Youth National Teams' started by ussoccer97531, Apr 17, 2021.

1. Balerion

Balerion Member+

Aug 5, 2006
    Roslindale, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm surprised inputting a semi-interesting CB prospect as a 2001 didn't cause your spreadsheet to crash from the sheer improbability of it all!

2. David Kerr

David Kerr Member+

United States
    Oct 18, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It does explain why he never was in the YNT discussions

3. ielag

ielag Member+

Jul 20, 2010
    Yueill has had a monster start to the season

4. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    Did we (well, I...) miss any pro contracts from this group of 2017 U20s?

Borges Marcello
    Burns David
    Jones Malcolm
    Lopez Leonardo "Leo"
    Martin Henry
    Morris Jake
    Pelaez Pablo
    Popovic Nebojsa "Nash"
    Salas Martin
    Suddoth Toni
    Terwege Brandon
    Wilson Sean
    Winter Abu
    If I did, don't think it's many...

5. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    I wonder if some of the NCAA guys are finishing their NCAA year, and then signing with MLS/USL.
    Well, finishing their degrees anyway.
    Brandon Terwege (drafted by Houston) and Martin Salas (drafted by Dallas) stand out to me as the guys I know.

Dave Marino-Nachison repped this.
  6. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    Could be. Along those lines I looked up Jake Morris and it turns out he's a Jr. at Campbell (and playing there). And... did everyone else know he's Aidan's big brother?

7. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Did you mean Mark Salas in your list, and not his brother Martin?
    Mark is a senior at UNC, and they're still in the NCAA tournament.

8. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    Nope, I mean Martin, the '97, in this case.

9. NoHammiesAltidore

United States
    Jun 28, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Borges signed with NY Cosmos last year.

Pl@ymaker and Dave Marino-Nachison repped this.
  10. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Ah................got confused.
    No evidence Martin has signed a contract.
    He's not on Buzz' list of former FCD academy players to get pro deals.

11. NoHammiesAltidore

United States
    Jun 28, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Martin's LinkedIn makes it look like he's done with soccer.

12. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Here's that list of former FCD academy players to sign pro deals. Buzz updates it from time to time when details come in.

Pl@ymaker repped this.
  13. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    Hmm -- OK. It does look like he was on their NISA roster for the 2020/21 season. Thanks!

14. Thundering165

Thundering165 Member+

North Carolina FC
    United States
    May 1, 2017
    Raleigh
    One of the fishier things in soccer to me recently (aside from all the blatant corruption in the sport) has been Santiago Patiño’s career path. He was actually pretty good for Orlando City, then sent on a weird loan to a place where careers go to die, then waived when Orlando has little CF depth and a massive Dike sized hole in the roster.

Now he’s tearing it up for San Antonio.

I just feel like this is a situation where we’re not getting the whole story.

Pl@ymaker repped this.
  15. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Michael Edwards is really good. Reminds me of Miles Robinson with better ball progression. He’s not going to be in USL for long.

dougtee repped this.
  16. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    This guy was supposedly born in Florida, according to certain sources. Others say London. It’s not clear which is the truth. On the books at Arsenal, although that probably won’t be for much longer.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zak_Swanson

Pl@ymaker repped this.
  17. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas

Pl@ymaker repped this.
  18. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Timbers academy player that they didn't think deserved a first team contract. He'll go on loan outside of England and this is only a one year deal at Crystal Palace.

19. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Its a weird one, right?
    A one year deal for a player that doesn't qualify for a work permit.
    It would be one thing if Crystal Palace could have him with their U23s and evaluate him for a season.
    But what are the chances that he actually becomes eligible for a permit in the next year? Zero?
    I don't get it...................................

[Sometimes I see moves like this and think that clubs are doing agents a favor so that when a player they actually want comes along.........they'll be in that agent's good graces.]

This Washington Post article does a good job on his situation.
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2021/05/25/jacob-montes-signs-with-crystal-palace/

He said the Timbers did not extend a formal contract offer.

“They wanted to see me in preseason and make a decision off that,” Montes said. “But for me, I’ve been part of your program and I felt it would’ve been fair of them to give me an offer before going into camp. I wasn’t upset. I just thought it would be a better decision to stay in school, and when the Palace opportunity came up, I couldn’t say no.”

Because they didn’t make an offer, the Timbers relinquished his MLS rights. The New England Revolution claimed them Monday in a waiver draft, two people familiar with the draft said. Should he return stateside, Montes would belong to the Revolution.

20. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Tomas Romero (‘00) has started 4 games in a row for LAFC. He’s a late ‘00, and only a few weeks too old to be YNT eligible. He’s the third current starting GK in MLS for what would’ve been the 2020 Olympics cycle (Marcinkowski, Ochoa). The playing time for young American goalkeepers has started to improve a lot recently.

ChuckMe92 and gogorath repped this.
  21. STR1

STR1 Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    May 29, 2010
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    IIRC, he also declined a call up to El Salvador. Don't know if it was because he feels he has a shot at the USMNT or to have a shot at the LAFC GK spot.

ChuckMe92 repped this.
  22. ChuckMe92

ChuckMe92 Member+

Jun 23, 2016
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This from the Salvadoran fed says he declined it to maintain the chance to play for the United States. Which makes sense since we are the bigger NT and he was born and raised here, and maybe the USSF contacted him and said they like what they see and are aware of him. Though perhaps part of it was also because there was a good opportunity with LAFC.

https://www.fesfut.org.sv/actualizacion-convocatoria-seleccion-nacional-mayor/

Long-term I'd say there's not much reason to bet against him eventually being in the *broader pool* of the US if he wants. He's arguably done better than David Ochoa at club level this season, and certainly better than Odunze, both players named to multiple MNT camps. If Romero keeps this up (not a sure thing) then there's no reason he can't be at January 2022 USMNT camp and be a pool option or backup for the long run if he files a switch to the US. However, regularly playing for the USMNT will be more difficult and, experience notwithstanding, Romero might already be El Salvador's #1 today if he wants. He'll need to decide if being a pool backup or maybe future B-side Gold Cup option for a national team that looks to become really good (not to mention where he has lived his whole life) is better or not than being the #1 for a smaller team that may not do much internationally.

USSoccerNova and David Kerr repped this.
  23. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    It's also not like he was guaranteed the #1 spot for El Salvador, especially at the time of the announcement -- though that could certainly change if he has a big season in MLS.

ChuckMe92 repped this.
  24. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--

TarHeels17 and Winoman repped this.
  25. frankburgers

frankburgers Member+

May 31, 2016
    Ah a former Atlanta player landing in... Slovakia.

Any word on Carleton? I wonder if his involvement in the Jan 6th insurrection has affected his chances at playing at a higher level than whatever the Georgia storm is.