Dirty Laundry

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by GPK, Aug 30, 2002.

1. GPK

GPK BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 5, 1999
    San Diego, CA
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. Northside Rovers

Jan 28, 2000
    Austin TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    "THE NEWS: El Pibe told the Boston Herald the other night that he intends to play one more season and is putting to rest talk of his retirement at the end of the season.

TCS SAYS: If this is true, I wonder how happy Mile High Club really would be about it....Wonder if they'll move him in the off-season…"

Who would take him and pay $270k for a 41 year old player?

"TCS SAYS: Say what you want about having a single table, but this format makes for a crucial race to win the East...The first-place team in the conference will get the second seed and home-field in the first round, while the second place team most likely will settle in at six, meaning a playoff series on the road at someone like a Los Angeles, Dallas or even San Jose. That lends some serious relevance to winning the conference."

What he said.

And the Revs are keeping it interesting for that 8th playoff spot too.

3. SoccerEsq

SoccerEsq Member

Aug 28, 2000
    Maryland SoccerPlexish
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I won't say anything against conferences.

But any league that gives gives late season playoff hopes to teams like New England or DC, who are guaranteed to end the season having lost more games than they won, makes a sad joke of the regular season.

4. jmeissen0

jmeissen0 New Member

Mar 31, 2001
    page 1078

when leagues have ties, things take a different look

it happens in hockey quite a bit, football doesn't really have ties (they are so rare)

5. BallStateMiddie

BallStateMiddie New Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Nashvegas
    Personally, I think the Rev's could shock some people if they got into the playoffs. With everybody just now coming healthy, it seems like they're starting to hit their stride, albeit about 4 weeks too late. I think the Metros are the worst team in the league right now, although any team with Mathis has a lot of potential. I don't know what happened to Faria, but he's just the crapper now. And to think, I picked the Metros to be a contender. I guess that's why I'm so bitter.

6. Jacen McCullough

Nov 23, 1998
    Maryland

Faria has more goals than he had last season, and he's always dangerous. I wouldn't say he's had a bad season at all. As for the Metros, they have a ton of talent, but OZ is an idiot. He lines them up in strange formations (4 in the middle with no right wing and 2 D-mids, etc etc) and his subs are poor. With a better coach, the Metros could have been Chasing the Sheild rather than the final playoff spot.

JMac

7. prk166

prk166 BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 8, 2000
    Med City

My god. The MLS may as well have signed England's finiest kabob consumer, Gazza.

8. The REVerend

The REVerend New Member

Feb 25, 2001
    Newton, MA
    I disagree. I've seen all but a few of the MetroStars games this year, and Faria's finishing is frequently abysmal. He shows flashes of brilliance (the half-volley against Colorado (?) comes to mind) but he blows far too many breakaways. If Twellman were starting in Faria's place, he'd have 25+ goals...If Faria were on the Revolution, he'd be lucky to score 5...

9. jmeissen0

jmeissen0 New Member

Mar 31, 2001
    page 1078

i think it would easily be over 30

10. BenReilly

BenReilly New Member

Apr 8, 2002
    Hard to say, but Faria's misses are unbelievably pathetic. Whether Twellman would put most of them away or not is unclear (unlikely, actually), but at least he wouldn't make a total fool of himslef.

On a side note, I'm a bit miffed that Twellman's name comes up about 1000 times as often as Ralston even though Ralston is having at least as good a season. Twellman is getting pretty good service.

11. BenReilly

BenReilly New Member

Apr 8, 2002
    I guess this is a way of MLS saying "thank you" MLS takes care of its old stars. Maybe too well. Etch is killing KILLING DC, taking up so much salary while being one of the worst starters in the league. Valderamma is at least above average still. The Rapids could defnitely do better with that money.

12. gschroeder

gschroeder Member

Jun 18, 2001
    Thornton, Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    I really can't think of how the Rapids could do better with Pibe's salary. Since he came to COL, the Rapids have developed a new style of play that is alot more entertaining than the longball we used to play. He had 2 direct assists out of 3 goals Sunday night. He is near the top of the league in assists and I didn't even mention what he does with the ball. Sure I'm biased but I can't think of a player who could fill his shoes. Besides, IMO you don't drop a guy with only 1 year to go after he's done so much for the league and still is able to produce.

13. Jacen McCullough

Nov 23, 1998
    Maryland

I never claimed Faria was the best striker in the league, or even in the top 5 for that matter, so the comparison to Twellman (who is one of the top 5 strikers in the league) is pointless. Bottom line, he does blow a ton of chances, but those are chances he creates for himself by running relentlessly. Faria is all heart, and though he may miss alot, he hits his fair share of goals too, and adds in a number of good assists. For his pricetag, and with his durability, you can't really beat him. His only major drawback from a team perspective is his SI status, and he's supposedly near a green card. I would say confidently that Faria is the best bargain forward in the league. (Assuming Twellman gets a BIG payraise in the offseason.)

JMac

14. obie

obie New Member

Nov 18, 1998
    NY, NY
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Problem is, let's see what Faria does in the off-season as well. Think that his agent (who's probably OZ, but that's another story) isn't going to push hard for a more lucrative extension?

The Metro money from the Ramos and Balboa retirements that supposedly is going to be spread all over the place in the off-season is going to three guys: Howard, Jolley and Williams. (Well, actually, it'll probably go only to Howard and Jolley with some saved for an SI like Costacurta, though it would be smarter to tie Williams in longer-term as well.) Add to that Clint (who seems likely to just play out his deal at $200K or so and then try to leave) and Diallo, and Faria should take his green card happily and continue to play for $50K or thereabouts. But I think Rodrigo's going to pull a Gio and go for big cash, in which case Metro would be better off trading him.

15. BallStateMiddie

BallStateMiddie New Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Nashvegas
    This definately may be true. I'd say you're spot on with Faria being all heart, and he does run a LOT. As for him being the best bargain forward in the league, though, I'd have to go with Chris Carrieri.

16. Northside Rovers

Jan 28, 2000
    Austin TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Rapids could bring in Rallston and pay him the Max.

That would just about double Ralston's salary and lop off 10 years of age at the same time. Ralston whipping the ball in for Spencer and Carrieri would be just as or more productive I would think.

Plus you know the Revs won't turn down any un-reasonable offer.

17. Jacen McCullough

Nov 23, 1998
    Maryland

I don't see how or why Colorado or the Revs would make that move. The Rapids already have 2 good durable wingers in Chung and Henderson. Why bring in Ralston? He is strictly a right midfielder, not having performed well as a center mid when TB tried him there. As for NE, yeah, they probably won't pass up any reasonable offer, unless the player is named Twellman or Ralston. Those two aren't going anywhere. Doesn't Colorado have Kyle Beckerman? He's been in the league 3 years now, if he isn't ready yet to step up and start, he may want to reconsider his line of work. He's been a work in progress for the entire time, "learning" behind a few different playmakers. If he can play, great, but if not, Colorado may need to just bring someone in from outside the league.

Now NE is a different situation. They don't have any cap room, which could limit how many moves they make. Pineda Chacon and Sommer are probably going to be shipped out to pasture when the season ends, and it wouldn't shock me to see Rooney and maybe Llamosa follow if they can't be traded. That would free up a good chunk of salary for the Revs, but they still would have a ton of holes to fill. They need a consistant D-Mid, an attacking central mid, a solid defender or 2 (one wide, one central) and possibly a striker if Serna leaves. Without a minor miracle and some decent trades, the Revs could be in trouble next season as well.

JMac

18. Jeff

Jeff Member

Apr 14, 1999
    Alexandria, NOVA
    Jury' still out on Beckerman since he can't even buy playing time with the Rapids lately. I can't say I've seend enough of him to judge for myself if he's ready for full time duty.

19. Northside Rovers

Jan 28, 2000
    Austin TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was kind of being facetious. No way if I was the Revs would I give up Ralston - but they ahve a long and colorful history of making terrible player decisions.

If I were the Rapids, you coudl bring in Ralston and move Chung to the middle and send Valderrama elsewhere or cut him.

This is all pipe dream stuff, though. My guess is if Carlos wants to play next year, he will play.