DirecTV's EPL Package for 2005/06

Discussion in 'TV, Satellite & Radio' started by Always Truculent, Jul 3, 2005.

1. Always Truculent

Always Truculent New Member

Mar 20, 2005
    Oxford, MS
    I'm about to start negotiations with my wife about getting DirecTV's EPL package, but the website does not have pricing information yet. Does anyone remember how much it was last year? From looking at last year's schedule, a game on Saturday morning and one on Sunday morning is available each week throughout the season. Is that accurate? How far in advance do they decide which games will be shown, and are the choices generally OK?

Also, would you recommend it as worth the money? Well that was more questions than I meant to ask but DirecTV's website is pretty paltry. Thanks for your input.

2. vmax71

vmax71 BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 11, 2002
    high desert
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I have no idea what truculent means , but if it's good, then I'm it!

:D

3. ATL Blue One

ATL Blue One New Member

Feb 4, 2001
    ATL
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's usually a last minute deal with DTV, like a week or two before the season starts maybe around AUG 1st. It's not cheap but if you divide it out by the number of matches it's only $3 or $4 a match.
    I just order it and forget to tell the wife it's PPV. What with FSC,Setanta, GOL, and Univision there's always a match on and she doesn't (thankfully) think to ask. Of course I pay the DTV bill otherwise this would be impossible. ;)

If you take $3 x 2 matches a week = $6 x 39 weeks = $234. I'm thinking it was $249 last year but someone else here will know for sure.

4. wjarrettc

wjarrettc Member
    Staff Member

Oct 1, 2002
    Cliffs of Insanity
    Club:
    Carolina Railhawks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    EPL package was $299 last year.

5. Longshoe

Longshoe New Member

Mar 6, 1999
    Atlanta, GA, USA
    What did that package include last year? I have Comcast, but have been debating about getting DirecTV instead...

6. bigtoga

bigtoga Member

Sep 16, 2000
    Dallas, Texas
    Yeah, $299 plus tax - and, in Texas, tax on cable bills is over 15% so it was around $350 total.

And that means you get to watch only 2-3 more games a week than other people.

And you don't get to pick the games

And it isn't the games that are on PPV else

Terrible deal if you ask me - you may be only paying $3-$4 per game but you're paying $3-$4 to watch Fulham vs. Wigan and Crap vs. Promoted crap. In other words, you wind up getting the games that FSC or PPV deemed un-watchable/un-sellable...

7. gunner's fan

gunner's fan New Member

Feb 11, 2003
    Elizabeth WV
    You get two games a week.One Sat at 10 EST and one Sun 11 EST.The Sun game is usually something good because it is the only game being played at the time.That's why Arsenal-Chelsea is week two at 11 Sun.If Arsenal-ManU match-up is on Sun its the 11AM PPV.FSC insist on showing the early game on tape-delay Sun so if you buy the ppv you know the result.I think $300 is a bad deal all around.I just wait for the games to be on FSC on Tues and WED tape-delayed.If you tape the games you can watch 6 matches in order results free.

8. T308

T308 Member

Mar 9, 2005
    Southern California
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Thanks Cassius!

9. T308

T308 Member

Mar 9, 2005
    Southern California
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    I just checked my bill, it was $249 last year.

10. T308

T308 Member

Mar 9, 2005
    Southern California
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    The Sunday games in the 2005 Package don't look too bad for the first couple of months. Saturday's always a crapshoot of course....

8/14 - Wiggan/Chelsea
    8/21 - Chelsea/Arsenal
    8/28 - Newcastle/ManU
    9/11 - Bolton/Blackburn
    9/18 - Liverpool/ManU
    9/25 - Boro/Sunderland
    10/2 - Liverpool/Chelsea
    10/16- Man City/West Ham
    10/23- Everton/Chelsea
    10/30- West Brom/Newcastle
    11/6 - ManU/Chelsea
    11/20- Boro/Fulham
    11/27- West Ham/ManU
    12/4 - Charlton/Man City
    12/11 - ManU/Everton
    12/18 - Arsenal/Chelsea
    1/15 - Sunderland/Chelsea

11. bigtoga

bigtoga Member

Sep 16, 2000
    Dallas, Texas
    Yeah, those aren't terrible at all. The problem that I have with the package is that, IMO, it doesn't make sense. If I support "X" team and you're expecting me to pay nearly $300 (with taxes), I expect to be able to watch every ********ing game but I can't (PPV games are excluded).

Now, having said that, I wouldn't pay $249 to watch every Manchester United game lol. 15 of the gamesd are already on for free, which means I'd be paying $249 to watch 23 games - terrible deal.

To make the deal more attractive to me, they would need to lower the price, and then guarantee me that I could see every United game - end of story. I refuse to pay to see Chelsea vs Wigan or Liverpool vs Chelsea - no thanks.

12. rangers00

rangers00 Member

Jun 1, 2000
    What are you talking about?

The games on the season package are the games offered on PPV. If you choose to buy it PPV, it's $19.95 per pop. If you choose to buy the season package at $299, then you get all the PPV games.

13. Seems a bit steep to me. I'd rather spend that money on going to MLS games and watching EPL on Fox Soccer Channel. We need to spend money on US soccer, not a bunch of English matches we don't get to pick anyway. I'll go the PPV route for specific matches.

14. AZSaint

AZSaint New Member

Jun 11, 2004
    Phoenix
    My guess is it will be ~$329 for next season. I got it for 3 years but didn't bother last season. I didn't miss it. My problem was that there were a lot of crap games on Sunday that you felt obliged to watch as you'd paid for it.

And the commentator on Sunday always used to give the result of the earlier game which is shown on delay on FSW so you had to tape the PPV and watch them in order which was a pain in the jacksie. Don't think they do that now but they also don't show the weekend goals at half-time which was always the first US showing of them and sometimes softened the blow of the fat wedge you'd shelled out.

The Sat game always used to be Man U regardless of who they were playing and that got tiresome even though they were good back then.

I ordered maybe 5 or 6 individual games on PPV last season and it cost me $150 - $180 bucks as Dish charge $29.95 for the weekend so I hardly made a saving but with 3 games on Sat free and 1 game on Sunday free and with all the PPV games shown later in the week anyway, I just can't see the point of it now.

$150-$200 they'd get a lot more interest I reckon but $300+ not really worth it when you consider that 17 of the EPL are absolute cack and frighteningly dull to watch.

Now if it was $300 for every single Southampton game it would be an absolute bargain and probably be over-subsribed.

Up The Saints

15. wolves66

wolves66 New Member

Jul 5, 2005
    if you have Setanta you should get to see a handful of Southampton matches.With Gol TV,FSC and Setanta all showing matches from different leagues.I can't see myself getting the EPL package again.

16. rangers00

rangers00 Member

Jun 1, 2000
    Setanta doesn't have the rights of EPL anymore. It carries ManUTV and Chelsea TV. A subscriber may be able to watch the Man U and Chelsea EPL games, on N-day delay...

17. Placid Casual

Placid Casual Member+

Apr 2, 2004
    Bentley's Roof

And Southampton aren't in the Premier League anymore, which is why you can watch them on Setanta.

18. vmax71

vmax71 BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 11, 2002
    high desert
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm glad someone got it! and by the way ...

that's Mr. Ali to you buddy! :D

19. AZSaint

AZSaint New Member

Jun 11, 2004
    Phoenix
    Although I heard they were going to be bidding against SKY for the rights next time round. Not that it'll matter really as Saints are only down for a season.

20. Always Truculent

Always Truculent New Member

Mar 20, 2005
    Oxford, MS
    Ouch, that's pretty expensive. And hard to justify since the games do get shown later in the week. Sometimes though I just get tired of being paranoid about avoiding results.

21. GutBomb

GutBomb Red Card

Aug 28, 2003
    Outside Boston
    what? truculent? It's a perfectly cromulent word.

22. Rocket

Rocket Member

Aug 29, 1999
    Chicago
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The broadcast lineup looks pretty good for Chelsea fans.

Fans of other clubs might want to spend their $ elsewhere.

23. Shearer9

Shearer9 Member

Apr 4, 2004
    Greenville, SC
    The thought of Setanta actually getting rights for the Premiership is frightning. They had crap coverage of the Newcastle game on Sunday from what I've heard, and I've never seen a broadcast on Setanta that wasn't bad. But Sky will never allow this to happen, unless it was pried from their dead lifeless fingers. If Sky were to lose Prem rights, that'd be it for them. They would go into the billions to get those rights if they had to.

24. jammybastard

jammybastard Member

Oct 7, 2003
    Flyoverland
    last year, if you were a Man U fan and had Dish Network ($299/29.95)you would've spent $300 if you watched all their games on PPV anyway.
    I know, I did.
    Looks like it will be that way again this way.

I haven't made a decision yet, but my preference is to pay for the big games and then watch the little games on MotD torrent downloads.